1st time smoked salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Nitty

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
I kept it very basic. Rubbed with salt and brown sugar. Refrigerated for an hour. soaked up the moisture with a paper towel. Smoked at 225 for about 1 1/2 hr. I was worried it was going to be too salty and it was. I was able to eat it and liked it but less salt would have been better. The recipe I followed said 2-4 lb fish but didn't give a range for the salt/sugar so when I only had 2 lb fish I should have backed down the salt/sugar and didn't. I did enjoy it, just a little salty. With the leftovers I made a butter/garlic pasta to try and mask the salt a bit which helped and it was really good. Also, I only have hickory pellets at the moment so that's what I used. I've personally never had anything off my pellet smoker that I felt was too strong so the hickory on fish worked for me. I use pit boss pellets in the hopper and a tube with 100% hickory in the box. 1st pic is a fresh filet and one with the salt/sugar applied. 2nd pic is after refrigerating and soaking up the moisture. 3rd pic is right off the smoker.

X92xyGq.jpg

2C7fLWT.jpg

J3WJXNW.jpg

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Looks good, I use a wet brine for hot smoking and a dry brine for cold. If you think it's going to be to salty before you smoke the salmon. Then you can always give it a cold water soak for an hour or two.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: babydoc

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Nitty,
Looks good from here. What was the ratio of salt vs brown sugar? I use a 4/1 ratio of dark brown sugar / non iodized salt, but I smoke at a lower temp (125 to 160).

Last edited:

Nitty

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
Looks good, I use a wet brine for hot smoking and a dry brine for cold. If you think it's going to be to salty before you smoke the salmon. Then you can always give it a cold water soak for an hour or two.

Point for sure
Chris

Good to know.

Nitty,
Looks good from here. What was the ratio of salt vs brown sugar? I use a 4/1 ratio of dark brown sugar / non iodized salt, but I smoke at a lower temp.

It was 1 tbsp salt and 2 tbsp brown sugar. And it was called for on 2-4 lbs of fish which I only had 2 lb so I guess I should have cut it back.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Yup, no harm in experimenting. Just make notes so when you do it again, you can go back to see what you did.

millerbuilds

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2013
Little Elm, TX
I have had that issue in the past, If I am hot smoking, I will either wet brine or not brine at all and use a very small amount of salt in my rub. If I wet brine, I do not add any salt to the rub.

- Jason