1st Ribfest Competition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pulling-pork

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
So I entered my 1st ever BBQ competition this weekend. A ribs only competition. I have an Oklahoma Joe Longhorn reverse flow that I plan on using. I am not sure what fuel source to use. I have been using a combination of charcoal & apple chunks for practice at home. Is charcoal frowned upon at these things? I hope not because I don't have the stick burner dialed in yet. Any help you can give me will be much appreciated.

Reactions: JLeonard
Is it a kcbs comp?
No just the local towns chamber of commerce deal not a big deal just kind of nervous because I've only cooked for family & friends. They tell me all the time that I should enter one so I finally did.

No just the local towns chamber of commerce deal not a big deal just kind of nervous because I've only cooked for family & friends. They tell me all the time that I should enter one so I finally did.
Gotcha. If family and friends think you are comp worthy then you'll nail it. Pay close attention to the turn in rules. Smoke more than one rack so you can pick the best

Reactions: 912smoker
Gotcha. If family and friends think you are comp worthy then you'll nail it. Pay close attention to the turn in rules. Smoke more than one rack so you can pick the best
They say we can take as many racks as we want I'm thinking of doing five I think my smoker can handle that. I'm from Nebraska so around here people like their ribs sauced so thinking of doing three racks sauced & two racks Memphis Style (dry rubbed). I may present both in the box not sure yet

They say we can take as many racks as we want I'm thinking of doing five I think my smoker can handle that. I'm from Nebraska so around here people like their ribs sauced so thinking of doing three racks sauced & two racks Memphis Style (dry rubbed). I may present both in the box not sure yet
Are there dedicated judges or people's choice?

Gotcha. Your plan sounds solid to me. Spare ribs? I'd stick to either sauced or not in the box. All the judges need to taste the same thing and they will likely only take one bite. Stick to the preference of your region and if you sauce make it light. That way they get the best of both worlds without overpowering the bite

Gotcha. Your plan sounds solid to me. Spare ribs? I'd stick to either sauced or not in the box. All the judges need to taste the same thing and they will likely only take one bite. Stick to the preference of your region and if you sauce make it light. That way they get the best of both worlds without overpowering the bite
Yes spare ribs cut St. Louis style. I will keep it simple thanks for the advice!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Most important thing is to not overthink it and just have fun... I don't know how you have been cooking them on your practice runs but... They (judges) do not like falling off the bone ribs... Shoot for a clean bit through that comes off the bone clean (195` between bones will accomplish this)... When slicing the ribs... choose the straightest bones you can and then slice over against the other bone... Leaving meat on both sides of the turn in rib...

Again... the most important thing to remember is to just have fun ...

GOOD LUCK

And start with the best ribs that you can find in your area. I've been pleased with the
Allegience brand.
And like the others have said just have fun !

Keith

Most important thing is to not overthink it and just have fun... I don't know how you have been cooking them on your practice runs but... They (judges) do not like falling off the bone ribs... Shoot for a clean bit through that comes off the bone clean (195` between bones will accomplish this)... When slicing the ribs... choose the straightest bones you can and then slice over against the other bone... Leaving meat on both sides of the turn in rib...

GOOD LUCK
Probably true for the most part but he said it is not a KCBS, just a local comp so the whole falling off the bone may or may not apply because they more than likely aren't trained\certified judges.

With something like that you never know for sure what the judges want. Found that out myself after doing a comp at the state fair. Definitely a great thing to do though if you decide to keep going and hit the KCBS contests eventually.

Reactions: TNJAKE

GOOD LUCK
Thanks for the advice a lot of good stuff here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky