1st Official smoke in the WSM -Jeff's Chicken Cordon Bleu - Q-View!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dtsdowntosmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Lake Norman NC
Hey Everyone-

Hope that you all had a great week. I couldn't believe how lucky that I got last weekend. I had been keeping my eye on Craigslist for a couple of months and I finally found it! Less than 5 miles from my house a guy received a WSM 18.5 as a gift. The good news for me was that he already had a 22 and didn't need the 18! It had never been used (not even preseasoned) and I got it for $200! Plus it was already assembled! JACKPOT!

So tomorrow will be my first official smoke on that bad boy. I am trying out Jeff's Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe from a previous newsletter. I'm thinking that these breasts are actually a little too big, but I made them work.

Check out my pics below.

This is the breast. I actually didn't have a meat tenderizing mallet, so I improvised. Beat the hell out of them with a jar of chicken rub until they looked pretty flat.

I used a local rub from right here in NC. I can't remember the name, but I think it was Feather Duster something or another. I'll post a pic a little later.

I bought everything from our local Fresh Market. The Swiss and Ham were sliced right there. Nothing special.

Finally got these things wrapped up. They're now waiting overnight in the fridge. Can't wait to get them going on my WSM. Planning on using some Apple Wood Chunks.

Since these breasts were a little bigger than I anticipated I'm expecting them to run a little longer than Jeff's recipe recommends. Anyone have any idea how long this may take if I run at 240 or so? I do have a Maverick 72 so I'll be checking the temps.

Also, where should I stick these things to check for temp? Wouldn't the middle be the cheese and ham?

Thanks so much. I'll certainly keep the pics coming when I get them on in the AM.

It's going to be hard to stick the temp probe in and leave it as there is not much solid muscle left since they are thin rolled up sections of meat.  Do you have a instant read thermometer?  I would check them around 2:30 hours in as he said his took 3:00 hours at 240*.  It may not take any longer as the meat was pounded thin, but I would check them a little early as you can always smoke them a little longer, but you can't undo it once you overshoot the target temp on the high side.

Keep us posted on your smoke.

PS - you are going to love the WSM

I'm glad you posted this as I've been meaning to try Jeff's recipe for a while and forgot about it. I picked up some boneless skinless thighs 1/2 price today and may do that recipe with them tomorrow instead of breasts.  My 18.5" WSM is currently fired up with two large pork shoulders on an overnight cook and it will be up to temp so it's a "might as well."

Last edited:
Lookin good so far DTS.

You won't really have a place to check temp on these because they are so thin but you can give it a try.

You don't want the meat to get much over 165.

Good luck - looking forward to more q-view!

Bill

Also, where should I stick these things to check for temp?

This is just too tempting. But I'll be nice.

Wouldn't the middle be the cheese and ham?

Depending on where, yes it might be. However, in order for it to be at 165˚, assuming the very center is fully encased by the chicken and there is no way for heat to be conducted directly into the center, the surrounding meat will have to be at that temp or higher.

The results are in and this recipe is a keeper. They tasted as good as they looked.

A couple of observations. The WSM is tougher to regulate than the MES obviously. I just used a lit chimney full and nothing else. I'm going to have to practice. I should have used thinner breasts or beat them a little more. The breasts were a little lopsided so one side on the pieces were more chicken and one side was the good stuff. I also probably should have only used 1 wood chunk instead of two.

All In all, it was a success.

Looks great. 

I still have to try that recipe (was thinking about doing it after the two pork shoulders which are in the WSM are done, but they stalled for about 4 hours so perhaps not today).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky