1st Monster Brisket on WSM 22.5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bakerman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
Columbia Maryland
I’m getting ready for my first brisket on my WSM 22.5. The brisket is a $100 dollar, 21lb monster. I have never done a hunk of meat this big before so I’m excited to advance my skill set.
I’ve been scouring the Forums Beef pages for info as well as Youtube. I think I’m all set. Here is the plan:

After work today, around 4-5 o’clock, start the WSM.
Full bag of Kingsford Blue with some Pecan and Hickory chunks, small chimney with the Minion method being applied. Water pan 3/4 full, shooting for 225-270 temp.

Remove most of the fat and trim the beastie, Worcestershire slather and SPG for a rub about 40/60 salt / pepper. Put it on the fire, fat side up. Leave it be for 4-8 hours, only address the temp of the smoker. Probes in before bed , one in the thickest part of the flat another on the grate. I’m thinking/ hoping it may be into the stall by this time. Temp 150-165 if all is well.
By Saturday morning I should be getting out of the stall. Pull and wrap in foil ( if needed),with some ( 1 cup) beef broth in the foil pocket. Seal it up tight . Add fuel if needed.
Wait until I get a 190 degree temp on the probe, then check for tenderness every 30 minutes. Once it’s probe tender pull it off the WSM. Let off some heat for about 10-15 minutes, wrap it up in towels and rest for 2-4 hours. This rest time will depend on when it’s finished. I don’t want to eat a 9 o’clock Saturday night, so I’m hopeful it’ll be done around noon Saturday.

I’m figuring on a 16-20 hour cook, I know it could be longer so that’s why I’m setting up 5 hours earlier than I usually do for an overnight cook. I will be snapping pictures throughout the cook,( unless I am sleeping), so there will be a Q view. Hardest part is getting through work today, c’mon 3:00!!!

I've never smoked/cooked a brisket over direct heat, but I've read where those who have recommend fat side towards the heat. But it sounds like a plan, I'm in for the end...

Reactions: bakerman
Sounds good . I don't do overnight cooks , but sounds like it's not your first time .
Don't be fooled if it seems to be getting up in temp fast . It's going to stall at some point . Let the threms do their job .

Keep your oven open as an option to finish it up if needed .

Keep the lid on . Start and finish pics are fine .
Good luck be watching .
I'm glad I'm retired . I've looked at the clock 3 times since I read this . Lol .

One day Chopsaw I will be in the retired club. Hopefully next year or thereabouts. Fat side up in the WSM , the heat comes up the side and rolls off the lid. At least that was my understanding. If I've got that wrong I hope I find out before I get rolling LOL.

One day Chopsaw I will be in the retired club. Hopefully next year or thereabouts. Fat side up in the WSM , the heat comes up the side and rolls off the lid. At least that was my understanding. If I've got that wrong I hope I find out before I get rolling LOL.
I cook brisket fat side up in my WSM; I figure with the water pan full, it isn't getting serious direct heat from below.
That said, I've still got an awful lot to learn about cooking brisket, and I've never actually tried it fat side down.

Reactions: bakerman
Meats on.
IMG_20210903_175426701_HDR.jpg

Back again. Meat was probe tender@200 degrees. About 4:00am. Wrapped in a cooler until just a hour ago. Meat was hot but was @148 degrees. I heated my oven to 170 degrees and the brisket is in there now. Climbing back up slowly.
I was surprised by how quickly it was ready. I guess because it was a prime brisket, loads of fat. Anyway I will serve it up around 3 or 4 o'clock today.
Any comments are appreciated.

Reactions: chopsaw
Back again. Meat was probe tender@200 degrees. About 4:00am. Wrapped in a cooler until just a hour ago. Meat was hot but was @148 degrees. I heated my oven to 170 degrees and the brisket is in there now. Climbing back up slowly.
I was surprised by how quickly it was ready. I guess because it was a prime brisket, loads of fat. Anyway I will serve it up around 3 or 4 o'clock today.
Any comments are appreciated.
Be sure to post up picture. We like pictures.

Post 15 is almost exactly how I did my first one . I was lucky I had tallbm tallbm on speed dial and he talked me down from the cliff . Came out fantastic . Was in the oven a long time . The thin edge of the flat was a bit crumbly , but the rest was ,,,
fantastic . That was my first time cooking , or eating brisket . I have one going on tomorrow . Can't wait .

Post 15 is almost exactly how I did my first one . I was lucky I had tallbm tallbm on speed dial and he talked me down from the cliff . Came out fantastic . Was in the oven a long time . The thin edge of the flat was a bit crumbly , but the rest was ,,,
fantastic . That was my first time cooking , or eating brisket . I have one going on tomorrow . Can't wait .
Thanks Chopsaw. I'm getting hungry. Gotta get my wife to the grocery so we can fix up the sides. Hope it goes well. Pics when I take it out of the oven.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky