1st Jerky Run

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke detector

Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Alabama
I decided to give jerky a try, so I ordered up some seasoning and cure from Hi Mountain Jerky. They offer a sampler box with several flavors to choose from. I used the original flavor for my first batch.
I Bought a pound of lean flank steak and cut it into 1/4 inch strips, which yealded 16 pieces. After 24 hours in the refrigerator, I used some skewers to dangle the meat in the smoker.
I had no idea how long to let the meat cook, but based on other people's posts, I figured 2-3 hours at 180 degrees would be about right.
I took the first eight pieces out at 2.5 hours and took the other eight out after 3 hours. Both batches taste(d) great, but we agree that 2.5 hours was perfect. Chewy, tasty, and moist.

If you haven't tried jerky, I can certainly recommend it. I'm already planning a trip to the grocery store to get more meat. I've read posts about bottom round being a good cut for jerky. I'll give it a try, but the flank turned out great.

And what would this story be worth, without pictures?!
3977ecb2_vbattach11620.jpg

d40f3dde_vbattach11619.jpg

Smoke Detector, You'll find that the bottom round will result in some excellent jerky. The other nice thing about bottom round is that it is a whole lot cheaper than flank steak!!

Thanks for the feedback. Good tip about using scissors to trim the fat.

I did another two batches last night. This time I tried some hickory and mesquite flavorings. Also used bottom round and bottom London Broil. Both turned out very good and it's getting gobbled up so fast I'll be lucky to get my hands on another piece.
All meats have made some great jerky, but like Dutch said, bottom round is cheaper than flank.

So far I've tried HiMountain brand original, cajun, cracked pepper & garlic, mesquite, and hickory. They all tasted great, but the orginal flavor probably got the most praise.
Last night I did up some sweet & spicy and mandarin teriyaki flavors. Both had subtle flavorings and the hickory smoke I used was very evident.
Regardless of the flavor, it sure seems to go fast.
I still have two more flavors to try; Inferno and Bourbon BBQ.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky