1st Cook on new Bell Fab

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
As far as smoking woods, I run mostly cherry and hickory since my farm has plenty of both growing on it.

Black locust was mostly what I burnt when I heated with wood. Great heat output, burns long, splits easy. I was an arborist by trade, so wood was there for the taking. The other guys at work who heated with wood would fight over the oak, and I'd let them have it.
My house out in the country is not big. My favorite wood is ash, as it is abundant and drys very fast. If i burn locust or oak , my damn house is so hot I have to open windows and doors

If i burn locust or oak , my damn house is so hot I have to open windows and doors
Been there, done that mainly when it just started to get cold. I'd light a fire to knock the chill off, and run myself outta the house lol. Seems like I did it every year, too.

Reactions: Cataholic
I also burn a lot of ash for both my stove in the house and to get me by on the smoker till my hickory dries better. I have had locust and hedge a couple times for the stove. They were awesome but overkill for my needs unless the coldest of days. I dont think I would try either for smoking. they have some resins I would think would leave bad tastes.

I also burn a lot of ash for both my stove in the house and to get me by on the smoker till my hickory dries better. I have had locust and hedge a couple times for the stove. They were awesome but overkill for my needs unless the coldest of days. I dont think I would try either for smoking. they have some resins I would think would leave bad tastes.
I've used ash in a pinch on the smoker also, wasn't to bad.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky