1st Cen Tex Que & Brew Event Day Two: The Main Event (More Insane Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Well, it was such a great gathering it's gonna take two posts to get it all documented. Friday is already covered, now it's time to get to the main event.

Got the Egg dialed in and went in to get a few minutes sleep. As the surface temp of the meat went up, so did the temp in the Egg. Gerald tweaked the vents to get the temp back down. I checked it several times throughout the night and his adjustment was perfect. Here is where the temp was at 4:30 Saturday morning
052.jpg

Brisket and pork butt also at 4:30 in the morning
053.jpg

Done and in the house to get wrapped and into the cooler
054.jpg

Now to Saturday morning breakfast. The griddle fired up and loaded with a bunch of stuff, all of which I made. That was my only contribution to breakfast. We had pepper crusted bacon, maple and brown sugar bacon, Buckboard bacon, sausage patties, and smoked ham steaks
060.jpg

Gerald working on the sausage gravy. Cooking in a Dutch oven on the grill, also with my homemade breakfast sausage
061.jpg

Biscuits on the grill to cook
065.jpg

Breakfast spread all laid out
066.jpg

Connie making omelettes to order
067.jpg

My breakfast plate
068.jpg

Had to have one more biscuit with Doug's plum jam. God this stuff is good!!
069.jpg

Time to get the ribs on the BGE. Can't believe I got all three on without having to cut one rack and put half in front and the other half in back.
070.jpg

Piedmontese sirloin roasts prepped with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. These will be smoked and reverse seared
073.jpg

Ricky firing up the Santa Maria grill to get the Turkey going
075.jpg

Turkey on the rotisserie
079.jpg

4# of fresh shrimp peeled, veins removed, seasoned with EVOO and my Cajun spice mix
080.jpg

This is a sign Tracy made in one of her craft sessions. It's been on the counter in the laundry room for several weeks and I thought this would be an appropriate time to put it up. Went out to the garage and fabricated some brackets real quick and hung it on the handrail
085.jpg

Folks hanging out int he pool
086.jpg

Ribs all done and ready to slice
087.jpg

Appetizer plate with cured and dry aged Soppressata, Ginger and Vermouth sausage, and some smoked extra sharp cheddar
092.jpg

A bowl full of spicy pickled garlic. This stuff is amazing!! The spice brine came from our friend Steve H Steve H He used it to pickle some Kielbasa and it sounded like it'd be great for garlic. This was started about a month and a half ago and is just off the charts. Steve....I tagged you because you asked me for an update. Here it is: MAKE SOME NOW!! It was actually one of the biggest hits of the party.
091.jpg

Brisket all sliced and into the roasting pan to keep warm
090.jpg

Sirloin roasts all done. Didn't get any pics of them while they were on the sear burner of the grill. I smoked them to an IT of 118* to 120* then shut the smoker down. Just before we were ready to serve the meal, I flash blasted them at 1100* to get the crust and get them up to an IT of 132*. These were by far my best effort ever on any roast I've ever cooked!!
094.jpg

Pork butt all pulled and into the crock pot to keep warm
088.jpg

Bird about done and ready to take off. Look at the way this thing is just glistening.
096.jpg

Turkey all sliced up and ready to serve
100.jpg

Dinner all laid out in the kitchen....pretty much covering every square inch (couple of pics)
101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

My dinner plate for starters. There was just WAY too many offerings to get some of everything on one plate. Among all the stuff was another batch of Susan's amazing beans and the slaw left from last night.
105.jpg

Here is a surprise. This is Taylor having a plate of food. He was in the kitchen with me eating some of everything I was getting ready for over 2 hours. The man must have consumed two full meals just "sampling" everything before dinner was actually served.
106.jpg

Probably one of the best desserts I've ever had. It is French vanilla ice cream, Connie's cheesecake squares, Doug's homemade brandied plums, then everything drizzled with the juice from the plums. This is simply indescribable!! I could see this being the death of me :-)
107.jpg

Folks back in the pool for a post dinner swim
110.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, make no mistake about it, I am exhausted. What started out as an event with three people sharing cooking duties turned into a one pony show....and I was that pony....with the exception of Ricky doing the turkey. This was pretty much a 40 hour non-stop marathon run for me. There were times on Saturday that I questioned what the heck I'd gotten myself into. There were also times I questioned my sanity :-) It all boiled down to me telling Zach that I'd do whatever I could and the last thing in the world I wanted to happen was him being let down after all the work he'd done.

SUMMARY:
Although I'm worn the Hell out, I am honored that Zach asked me to be his compadre on this one. It was his brain child from the beginning and he put a LOT of time and work into getting it going. I'm heart broken that he missed out on most of it due to his responsibilities at work. He has a plan for next year though and it's not going to happen a second time.

Ricky....that was the absolute best turkey I have ever eaten....bar none!! He brined it for 3 days, injected it with Turkey Gold, rubbed it with squirt butter, then seasoned it with an Italian seasoning I had on hand. Once that thing was on the rotisserie he watched over it like it was his first born child. There was a LOT of love that went into that bird before it showed up on my dinner plate. IMHO, that turkey stole the show!! What makes it really interesting is that he had never done anything even close to what he did with that bird. It was his first ever attempt and came out nothing short of amazing.

The brisket and pork were both outstanding. Juicy, tender, and fantastically flavorful. Half of both got eaten before dinner was even served. Folks just kept nibbling.....

Ribs were the best I've ever done. Absolutely nailed them. Cooked at 275* for 4 hours, no glaze, and no wrap. Just seasoning and smoke. There were those who said the ribs were the star of the meal.

Sirloin roasts were perfect and the crust from the sear was SOOOO good. Some folks thought they were the highlight of the meal.

Even though I had my doubts yesterday, now that the smoke has cleared and I have some amazing memories (and a few pics) I'd do it again tomorrow if somebody asked me to.

Time for a margarita....
Robert

Attachments

• 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
That spread looks over the top awesome! And thanks for letting me know about the garlic. It is for sure on my to do list.

Robert, thank you my friend for your kind words. I've smoked turkeys before on my woodwind with great success. But this time I had a few challenges thrown at me. Make my own brine, and use the Santa Marie which was a first for me. I was a little out of my comfort zone, but with Robert's encouragement and a couple pointers I took the assighment head own and made it my own. As Robert stated, now that the smoke has cleared would I do it all over again? In a heartbeat :emoji_wink:
Let me know when you want another bird, have brine bucket will travel.

Reactions: negolien and Jabiru
That's what it's all about... the fellowship... the friendship... meeting new friends... eating awesome food... enjoying everybody's presence... And when your arse has been whipped from all the work... After a good nights rest... Your ready to do it all over again...

Everything looks GREAT... Glad it all worked out... And now I can't wait until Dec for the S. Fl. Gathering after seeing all this pics and reading the thread...

WELL DONE EVERYONE...

Reactions: negolien and ega-q
This is why we have gatherings, like Keith said. Good friends, meeting new people and great food.

Damn Robert I can’t believe the air lines lost my ticket! That looks like an amazing time and spread. Points to you for hosting and cooking all weekend.

And that turkey absolutely kicks ass. I was salivating looking at that picture of it on the rotisserie.

How did you like the flat top? Looks like about the only thing you don’t have in your arsenal.

John

Amazing, all that fresh homemade food. Sounds like a Superman effort.

You have a very nice home.

Would you mind sharing the recipe for the spicy pickled garlic? I think that would be a winner for my family.

Wow, what a place you have, it's beautiful!
The beer would've had a tough time keeping up with me and that food........damn....that food looks amazing. You really know how to throw a shin dig. I'm not so sure about all of the topless dude picks can we work on that next year.......more bikini's around the pool would've off set the man boobs. Hahahahaha!!!
Amazing party and a great read, thank you for sharing it with us.
Do you have any pictures of your home? it looks like an epic party house.
Get some sleep.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

"That spread looks over the top awesome! And thanks for letting me know about the garlic. It is for sure on my to do list."

Thank you for the kind words, and for sharing the recipe. I kid you not Steve, there were people walking around popping whole cloves of garlic into their mouths like M&M's. Whoda thunk it??

Waking up a bit,
Robert

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
"Absolutely awesome !!"

Thank you!! Was a lot of work but well worth it to have so much fun with so many great people.

Robert

"You had me at homemade breakfast sausage, gravy and biscuits! What an awesome gathering."

I'm with you on that one!! I've always loved that stuff and when I started making sausage, breakfast sausage was the first one I made and the one I struggled with the most before hitting exactly what I was looking for. Now that I have it though, we will never be without it.

Time to make more....
Robert

"Robert, thank you my friend for your kind words. I've smoked turkeys before on my woodwind with great success. But this time I had a few challenges thrown at me. Make my own brine, and use the Santa Marie which was a first for me. I was a little out of my comfort zone, but with Robert's encouragement and a couple pointers I took the assighment head own and made it my own. As Robert stated, now that the smoke has cleared would I do it all over again? In a heartbeat :emoji_wink:
Let me know when you want another bird, have brine bucket will travel."

The accolades are well deserved Ricky....but what I didn't tell you is that I'd never done it before either :emoji_wink: Yes, I've brined turkeys before, and yes I've cooked them on the Egg, but never over an open fire and never on a rotisserie. It was a learning experience for both of us!!

The blind leading the blind,
Robert

"That's what it's all about... the fellowship... the friendship... meeting new friends... eating awesome food... enjoying everybody's presence... And when your arse has been whipped from all the work... After a good nights rest... Your ready to do it all over again..."

You are absolutely correct!! Well stated and I couldn't agree more. I've always felt that way but my time with SMF has elevated my perception of what an event like this is really all about.

Robert

What a great weekend you folks had. Great food, new and old friends - just a perfect way to enjoy life.

Points for sure
Chris

"This is why we have gatherings, like Keith said. Good friends, meeting new people and great food."

Thank you Adam!! You and Keith are both correct.

If you sir are responsible for the carousel ride, thank you again. I am honored.

Humbled,
Robert

"Damn Robert I can’t believe the air lines lost my ticket! That looks like an amazing time and spread. Points to you for hosting and cooking all weekend."

Thank you John!! I noticed that you were strangely absent. Now I know why. It was probably a security breach and some hacker got your ticket. I guess that explains some of the unfamiliar faces at the event :emoji_wink:

"And that turkey absolutely kicks ass. I was salivating looking at that picture of it on the rotisserie."

Ricky kicked ass with that turkey!! I was in awe when he called me over to take a look and go through the temp check before pulling it. OMG!! It was gorgeous.

"How did you like the flat top? Looks like about the only thing you don’t have in your arsenal."

I did love the flat top. I just don't have the room for one. I recently saw a post from a member who fabricated one to go onto his grill and it looked very interesting. Since I have a nice grill I'm giving consideration to having one built professionally for my 42" Lynx. That would give me what I want and not take up any more patio space. Matter of fact, I got a text from Matt @Matt_Tex Saturday that he bought one made by Lodge that morning after the burgers Friday night. I guess he kinda liked it too :emoji_laughing:

Off to the metal fabricator's
Robert

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky