1st butt of year, Q-view, and question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pimpzilla

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Sioux City, IA
I smoked this butt to about 135-140, then finished in the oven to about 185-190. It was fall apart tender, and had good smoke taste, but it was extremely greasy! It may just have been this particular piece of meat, but it was a real turn off! Any thoughts why this happened? I've smoked butts 6-8 times in the past without this being an issue. Help!

It looks like it came out good. Your temps seem a bit on the low side. If you could give us a bit more info on your cooking method it might help.

It was tender as can be, and the flavor was good. I smoked it at 225 until it got to about 140, then I put it in a roasting pan, uncovered, with tin foil underneath it. Cooked it to 185-190ish in a 300 degree oven. It pulled very easy....I'm beginning to think I just had a fattier shoulder than usual.

Hey pimp, I don't know if this is what happened to your shoulder but I had a couple of similar experiences where the temp was right and the dang thing fell apart but still had a lot of grease. I mean the kind that sticks to the roof of your mouth - yekh! Anyway, I started smoking the picnic or butt until it reached a higher temp then foiled and coolered. The extra time in the smoker and higher temp allowed most of the grease to liquify and simply drip away. Nowadays, I smoke butts at around 250* and let 'em cruise till they're done. I only foil it so I can throw it in the cooler for a while. and let it begin to slowly cool.

I'm not an expert by any means but you might try bumping up the temp to 250 and let it smoke for a longer period of time so the grease can drip off.

Just my humble thought,

Tom

There is a bone in there....just can't see it on the backside.

Anyway, you may right tanker. I've never finished a butt off in the oven before....it's just so much easier than keeping a constant temp in the smoker. Another thought.....what if I put the butt directly on the rack in the roasting pan instead of in foil? Do you think that would render off some of the fat/grease as well?

If you really don't want to finish the butt off in the smoker, you could put the butt on the top rack in the oven and put something underneath it on the bottom rack to catch the drippings. Use only the bottom heating element and let it cruise at 275-ish. Maybe even 300*.

Tom

I think you pulled it just a hair too early. Try going to 195 -200 next time. The extra temp will help melt the remaining fat. You can even go to 205. I never have a problem with greasiness, although I like the extra fat on the fat cap and I always incorporate it. As you noted, butts can have different levels of fat, so the other butts that you've done to 185 - 190 might have just happened to have less fat. You won't mess it up by going to 200 and the extra time and temp will help render the rest of the fat. Even 205 won't "overcook" it.

You can also remove the fat cap as it will simply sort of slide off, but to me, that gelatinized fat adds to the succulent nature of pulled pork. To me, it doesn't add "greasiness" but flavor.

It's amazing what 5 degrees difference can make. I've pulled at 185 before and it usually means that it doesn't pull as well and leaves more noticable unrendered fat. When I go to at least 195, I never have a problem and rarely have any internal fat to throw away.

I would suggest getting the internal up to 160-165 before foiling this will allow more time for some of the fat to render out. I often finish mine in the oven too I smoke them at about 250 till 160 internal then foil and put them into the oven set at 250 till 200 internal. Rest them at least 1 hour preferably 2 hours then pull them out of the foil and pour the juice into a measuring cup and place it into the freezer while I pull the butt. When the fat stiffens I scrape the fat off the top and heat the juice up and add it back into the pulled meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky