1st Build - Reverse flow - 48"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yeap, she is a beauty! Thanks for the photo update.

You have any idea what she weighs? I bet moving that pit without front wheels takes a gorilla!
I'm not really sure. I got all the steel from different places. Very little from a metal shop. I'll have to do some calculations. Give me a bit and I'll see if I can add it all up. Now I'm interested.

I'm not really sure. I got all the steel from different places. Very little from a metal shop. I'll have to do some calculations. Give me a bit and I'll see if I can add it all up. Now I'm interested.
Spreadsheet math shows 880lbs. Add in about 20 lbs of weld weight and slop puts us right around 900lbs.

Redid the wheels. Wasn't happy with version 1 and the hubs were very slightly off center.

IMG_0672.jpeg

Okay, I am not surprised at all. Does that include the grates you are planning?

BTW, I like your newest version of the wheels!
[/QUOTE]
Thx on the wheels. I'm getting much better behind the plasma torch. I think my confidence in the tool had as much to do with the turn out as the new design.

The weight does not include cooking racks/rails or the prep racks going on outside. I am building 44x24" and 44x 20" cooking racks and an 18" prep rack that will go 48" along the front and 38" along the end. I also have the material for a wood basket in the FB and for a shelf below the CC. We'll be pushing 1000# before it's done for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alphonse
[/QUOTE]
. . . . . . . . . . . We'll be pushing 1000# before it's done for sure.
[/QUOTE]
Yeap, 1000# at least! Wheels are going to be mighty important on that beast!

. . . . . . . . . . . We'll be pushing 1000# before it's done for sure.
[/QUOTE]
Yeap, 1000# at least! Wheels are going to be mighty important on that beast!
[/QUOTE]
Thinking about putting a hitch on it and getting one of those motorized hitch dollies at this point. lol

Made a bit of progress this weekend. The little stuff takes forever!
1. Mounted wheels v2.0
2. Started handles all around w spring grips.
3. Added rails w/ stops for the cook grates.
4. Framed up both grates.
I always planned on two grates but they seemed too close together at 6” apart. I opted to move the bottom grate down below the door opening. It’s about 3.5”above theRF plate and almost 2” below the opening. I had to extend the grate stops up so when you lift it up and out they still hold the grate. Seems to work well. Have to see how it works w meat on the grate.

A810F01A-E453-4988-8DB3-C4C7A961D82F.jpeg

Reactions: 39Buick
More small progress today. I got my casters finally and welded them up on the back legs. I also finished the door handles. I spent some time cutting parts for the fire basket as well. So close!
Left:
1. spring handles on the fire box and 2 vents
2. fire basket and ash pan.
3. smoke stack lid
4. flat expanded metal for cooking grates
5. prep shelves
6. storage rack under CC
7. power wash and season
8. FIRST COOK

8F68B002-82B4-4008-9617-2E7E2C429582.jpeg

So, I've learned an important lesson in this build. The legs, wheels, casters, and cart all need to be built separately and leveled up before they are attached to the CC/FB. After trying - unsuccessfully - for a second time to level up the steel wheels I made for the front, I cut the legs off 10" above the ground and rebuilt the whole wheel mount section. What a pain! They seem to be level and roll smoothly (knock on wood!) I also finished the frame for the fire basket and ash pan.

IMG_0686.jpeg IMG_0685.jpeg

The fire basket raises the coals up above the lower air vents. Should make for great airflow.

Progress:
1. spring handles on the fire box and 2 vents - DONE
2. fire basket and ash pan. - DONE
3. smoke stack lid
5. prep shelves
6. storage rack under CC - DONE
7. power wash and season
8. FIRST COOK

IMG_0688.jpeg

The plan is to finish the stack vent, frame out the prep shelves and power wash it this weekend. I can't get the expanded flattened steel for the racks, etc until Tuesday. Hoping to season everything some time next week. And then ...

Progress:
3. smoke stack lid
5. prep shelves
7. power wash and season
8. FIRST COOK

View attachment 439548

The plan is to finish the stack vent, frame out the prep shelves and power wash it this weekend. I can't get the expanded flattened steel for the racks, etc until Tuesday. Hoping to season everything some time next week. And then ...

Awww man you got me with those butts going down! Thought you gave into temptation and fired that bad boy up!!
Nice job!

Waiting on expanded steel ...
In the meantime, finished the stack flu and the cooking prep rack.

IMG_0695.jpeg IMG_0696.jpeg

Progress:
3. smoke stack lid - DONE
5. prep shelves - DONE
7. power wash and season
8. FIRST COOK
1586819290747.png

What a beauty she's turning out to be.

I see the front casters are there now. How is she to move around now?

I noticed a couple of extra couplings on the door. Are they for gauges as well?

Thx Alphonse. Huge improvement. Between the swivel casters and getting the big wheels mounted straight, it’s night and day.

The extra couplings were my first location for the gauges. The 3” probes unfortunately hit the top grates so I had to move them down. I’m trying to decide if I patch the holes or leave them for electronic meat probes. I’d rather have a single port in the middle for meat probes. We’ll see.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky