1st Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jaybone1979

Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
In need of some guidance on this smoke as I don't want to screw up an expensive piece of meat. 1st time smoking a brisket (whole) this Sunday. Not my first experience smoking meat, just a brisket. Lookin for some advice on trimming, seasoning and specific timing/temp. Not lookin to do anything fancy just a basic brisket rubbed and smoked.
Brisket-13.5#
Smoker-electric masterbuilt 40"
Plan to eat around 4pm

You will probably run 14-18 hours depending on the temps you want to run at, I love suckle busters 1836 rub on beef if you can find it. Its salt pepper garlic , you can speed the cook up if you wrap at about 160, remember you can hold it a pretty long time in a cooler so its better to allow plenty of time as to put diner off imo.

What Mike said is correct. Briskets are done when they are done, so always allow more than enough time for the cook. I wrap in Pink Butcher Paper after it gets through the stall, like 170' IT. This helps it get a nice bark, but not too hard. Remember to let it rest at least an hour or longer after taking it off the pit. Let us know how it goes.

Mike

Reactions: Blues1
What Mike said is correct. Briskets are done when they are done, so always allow more than enough time for the cook. I wrap in Pink Butcher Paper after it gets through the stall, like 170' IT. This helps it get a nice bark, but not too hard. Remember to let it rest at least an hour or longer after taking it off the pit. Let us know how it goes.

Mike
Thanks for the quick responses. I will say the cooler thing is new to me so more stupid questions to follow. One is reaches 160-170 IT and I wrap it, doea it go in the cooler then or back on to cook further?

Back on the smoker 'til 200-205 IT. Even then I wouldn't pull until it is probe tender, then in the cooler for a couple or 3 hrs.

Just some preventative maintenance. Make sure your smoker temps are good. Check with a remote probe and be sure your cooking/smoking at the right temps..... calibrate your remote probe with an ice bath and boiling water.

Smoke open, Then wrap at internal temp of 160 and back in the smoker. Take it to 190 and start to tooth pick it. If you feel resistance keep cooking. Tooth pick it every 5 degrees until you feel very little resistance. Briskets can get done between 195 degrees to 210

Boykjo

Just some preventative maintenance. Make sure your smoker temps are good. Check with a remote probe and be sure your cooking/smoking at the right temps..... calibrate your remote probe with an ice bath and boiling water.

Smoke open, Then wrap at internal temp of 160 and back in the smoker. Take it to 190 and start to tooth pick it. If you feel resistance keep cooking. Tooth pick it every 5 degrees until you feel very little resistance. Briskets can get done between 195 degrees to 210

Boykjo
This.

What's your guesstimate on time when the IT will reach 195 to 210?

Boykjo

Depends on Brisket size and smoker cooking temp. Always allow more than enough time, so you're not caught short. I always figure at least 12-16 hours average for a full packer Brisket 13-16 lbs. But, as stated above, Briskets are done when they're done. I've had small 13 lbs take longer than big 18 pounders on occasion. The most important thing is "Probe" tenderness. Let us know how it goes.

Mike

Depends on Brisket size and smoker cooking temp. Always allow more than enough time, so you're not caught short. I always figure at least 12-16 hours average for a full packer Brisket 13-16 lbs. But, as stated above, Briskets are done when they're done. I've had small 13 lbs take longer than big 18 pounders on occasion. The most important thing is "Probe" tenderness. Let us know how it goes.

Mike
Will do. Thanks for the info!

Have you all ever had a second stall? The brisket stalled at 157 IT this morning. So I pulled it and wrapped. Now I'm waiting for 200 IT and it seems to have stalled again at 195. Any ideas?

Hey Al, pics attached. The first is just prior to wrap and the next is the finished product. Smoked with apple. Total smoke time was 13 1/2 hours at ~240 degrees. Bark could have been better, but it had a good taste, was very moist and had lots of smoke.

Attachments

• 155 IT.jpg
    155 IT.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Fini.jpg
    Fini.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 19
Looks good from here. You said it tasted good, very moist? That's all good and great. Bark could've been better? How do you mean? The bark is secondary to taste and moisture. Sounds like you had a successful Brisket.

Mike

Looks good from here. You said it tasted good, very moist? That's all good and great. Bark could've been better? How do you mean? The bark is secondary to taste and moisture. Sounds like you had a successful Brisket.

Mike
Very good, very moist, but I was expecting to have a more substantial bark. A little more burnt and crisp. Maybe I didn't get the smoker hot enough while it was unwrapped? Idk. Either way, the taste was good and the family liked it, which is a win in my book. Thanks for all the help and info!

Looks like you wrapped in Butcher Paper? That always makes a great bark for me, and you wrapped at 155T? Which also sounds right. I wrap at 165-170 IT, not sure if that would've given you a more burnt crisp bark. Maybe. Keep trying til you achieve what you're looking for.

Mike

Very good, very moist, but I was expecting to have a more substantial bark. A little more burnt and crisp. Maybe I didn't get the smoker hot enough while it was unwrapped? Idk. Either way, the taste was good and the family liked it, which is a win in my book. Thanks for all the help and info!

Hi there and welcome!

Do one without wrapping and u will get what you want for bark. Just plan for the smoke to take longer. Goal is to plan to finish 4 hours before eating time and if u do great double wrap tightly in foil and wrap tightly in 3 bath towels and set on the counter and 4 hours later it will be piping hot and ready to cutt and serve.
Don't finish 4 hours early... well u have 4 hours buff timer to get it done :)

Reactions: mac114
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky