18lbs of pork butt for tomorrow!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rhuel

Original poster
Apr 6, 2017
Charles Town, WV
This will be my second cook on my Weber Smokey Mountain and I'm hoping it turns out as good as the first.

I picked up 2 9lb butts from a local grocery store (store brand, not Swift Premium as last time - crossing fingers that it's as good) and cut them in half.

The plan (too late now) is to season 2 exactly the same way as last time and then season the other two completely differently.

I used Weber Dry Smoking Rub last time and the results were fabulous. That's what's going on butt #1 and #2.

Butt #3 is getting Stubb's Pork Spice Rub and Stubb's Pork Marinade.

Butt #4 is getting Stubb's Bar-B-Q Spice Rub and Rothschild's Roasted Pineapple & Habanero Glaze and Finishing Sauce.

I trimmed them all, rubbed with yellow mustard and thoroughly coated with rub and then liberally applied the "sauces" to #3 and #4.

I'm planning a hot & fast (~330F for about 5-6 hours) cook with these tomorrow for a small family get together.

Wish me luck!!

th_nopicsye3.gif

Looking good.

I would've sauces later in the game. The sugars in the sauce like to burn when smoking at higher pit temps. Your bark may end up a bit bitter if that happens.

Looking good.

I would've sauces later in the game. The sugars in the sauce like to burn when smoking at higher pit temps. Your bark may end up a bit bitter if that happens.
ut oh...

n00b mistake :(

You think if I wipe off the sauces and re-rub prior to the cook it'll be OK, then add the sauces when they hit 160F and I put in foil pans and cover until 205F or is it too late?

Yes that would be fine. I wouldn't Sauce until you pull the meat. That's what finishing sauce is all about.

Ketchup based Sauce like Stubbs I only serve on the side.

Yes that would be fine. I wouldn't Sauce until you pull the meat. That's what finishing sauce is all about.

Ketchup based Sauce like Stubbs I only serve on the side.
Roger that!

The Stubb's I'm using isn't a bbq sauce, it's a marinade for pork, but I'll still wipe it (and the pineapple habanero) before cooking and maybe add some back when braising.

As far as the pineapple habanero glaze, I'll save that until after the cook when I pull the meat apart.

Thanks for the tips!

Well, I didn't take too many photos of the butts while cooking or after as I had a total of 16 adults and 2 kids to entertain and prepare to feed, so I only have this one to share (and results below).

The two I seasoned as I did the last time came out exactly as they had before - some of the best I ever had and were (mostly) the unanimous favorite of everyone. I am a huge fan of the flavor of the Weber Dry Smoking Rub and may take a ride to the local wally world and buy a few more shakers to have on-hand.

The Stubb's Bar-B-Q Spice Rub and Pineapple Habanero combo was a close second in flavor and comments. There were some that were on the fence between it and the Weber flavored.

The Stubb's Pork Spice Rub and Pork Marinade brought up the rear. The lime and ginger...just not my thing. Don't get me wrong, it was very good and I will definitely finish it, it just wasn't as big of a hit flavor-wise with me or the rest of the crew. Now, with that said, if it were the only "flavor" I had made, it would have been very well received - nice smoke ring, perfectly tender, nice bark, good flavor, just not the best of the three offerings of the day.

Pork Butt Leftovers:

8lbs of Weber Dry Smoking Rub - ~1/2lb

4lbs of Pineapple Habanero - ~ 1lb

4lbs of Lime/Ginger - ~2lbs

If anyone is wondering, I chose to leave the glaze and marinade as-is, not wipe and re-rub to just see what would happen. There was no noticeable bitterness or odd taste (other than the lime overkill).

For the 4th of July, we'll have about 20 or so folks here and I think I may go with the same amount of meat, but I'll probably split the flavoring differently - 12lbs of Weber Dry Rub and 4lbs with something else. There's a lot of time between now and then to think/prepare.

Now that I have the Pork Butt dialed in and repeatable, I may try brisket - let the "SMF Search Button", YouTubing, and Googling begin!!!

Thanks for following along!!

Any servicemen and servicewomen or families of, THANK YOU for your dedication, sacrifice, and service. Yesterday was and will always be more than just bbq and parties.

Reactions: stealthchef
Nice save!

Those look really good. I like the variety of sauces, etc.I did something similar for a couple weddings by having different sauces available for people to chose. Seeing how you like trying different things here's some homework. Try doing some Carolina style pulled pork. It's way different, but SO awesome.

Good luck on the brisket. It took me a few tries to really nail it, but once you do you'll be on top of the world. My advice: trim it up nicely (you may even want to separate the point and flat muscles since they're different thicknesses and will cook at different rates),put your rub on it, put it on the smoker at your temp and LEAVE IT. Don't open it, don't touch it, just work your fire until your probe hits the magic number. Then show us the pics you took before you told everyone it's ready (otherwise you won't get to take pics). 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky