160 temp question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I take the safe route.
I don't make Sausage. I only make Jerky.
So I'm bound to be right at least half the time. :emoji_wink:

I probably made and ate .5 million pounds of Jerky in my life. Never got sick from mine.
Since joining SMF.com, I've been using Prague Powder.
It was the difference between what I wanted, taste wise, and what I was use to settling for.
Also, I believe in my stomach. Stomach acid is a wonderful thing. If anything is alive when it enters there, it's mighty dead when it moves on. :emoji_skull: Ask anybody who swallowed a live Goldfish.

Corn is the only thing that bothers me. Why is it always so recognizable the next time it comes to the light? :emoji_poop:
Stomach acid doesn't touch it, and that is worrisome. And GMO Corn is even more worrisome. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

:emoji_thinking:

Also, I believe in my stomach. Stomach acid is a wonderful thing. If anything is alive when it enters there, it's mighty dead when it moves on. :emoji_skull:

I thought I had a " Cast Iron " stomach. Then about 27 years ago I ordered a Pizza with Fresh Garlic. The cook forgot the Garlic and added it on the pizza in the box. At the time, I thought that was fine. Little did I know, they chopped fresh garlic, covered it in Olive Oil and stored it on the counter at ROOM TEMP! Some 6 hours later, the first wave of projectile vomiting hit. This was soon followed by even more Explosive Diarrhea! I spent the next 5 days and nights sleeping on the bathroom floor as I was too weak to run back and forth from my bedroom.
Stomach Acid can handle very small amounts of bacteria. But, the really nasty stuff like E-Coli 0157 and Salmonella " Surfs " through stomach acid, to your intestines, like Duke Kahanamoku on vacation in Waikiki!
Proper heating, cooling and storage makes for a Happy Stomach and Restful Nights...JJ

I have made jerky the same way for many years without incident. Last year, I came across this subject of additional heating of the jerky on a forum someplace and started to do a bit more research on the subject. I came across a summary article put out by the University of Wisconsin Extension for Food Science regarding the use of home dehydrators for making jerky and methods to ensure it is safe. I've attached a copy. If you do a google search, you can find more in depth papers produced in conjunction with this study. I tried one of the suggested methods and found it did not alter my jerky flavor or texture and I know heat the final product in the oven at 275 degrees for ten minutes, as described in article. I'm not saying this is the best method, but it is an extra step I have now adapted and I think I may have gained some ground in food safety and I don't feel I have given up anything in jerky quality. YMMV.

Attachments

• Making_Safe Jerky_in_a Home_Dehydrator3.pdf
    495.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I now heat the final product in the oven at 175 degrees for ten minutes, as described in article. I'm not saying this is the best method, but it is an extra step I have now adapted and I think I may have gained some ground in food safety and I don't feel I have given up anything in jerky quality. YMMV.

From the article you posted... I think you may have a typo in your explanation....

Safe Drying Methods
In our research we tested 3 home‐style dehydrators: the Gardenmaster (#1010) and Jerky Xpress (#28JX), both from Nesco/American Harvest, and the Excalibur (#3900).
Choose one of the following recommended drying methods: Dry meat at 145° - 155°F for at least 4 hours followed by heating in a pre-heated 275°F oven for 10 minutes.

That I did, Dave...thanks! Made the edit. (I don't think my oven will even go that low!)

Bernie

So I understand (brand new to this). I preheat at 27 AFTER the jerky is done right? Seen a lot of different things on this subject around the internet, but the article you linked really help.

Using a dehydrator, set at 160, dehydrate for (blank) amount of hours, then toss in the pre-heated oven for ten minutes.

Would this be the same for ground beef jerky as well?

Thanks.... 1 Shaking hands.png

So I understand (brand new to this). I preheat at 275 AFTER the jerky is done right? Seen a lot of different things on this subject around the internet, but the article you linked really help.

Using a dehydrator, set at 160, dehydrate for (blank) amount of hours, then toss in the pre-heated oven for ten minutes.

Would this be the same for ground beef jerky as well?

Same for ground jerky ??? Guessing.... probably...

Erik, afternoon.... There is another option.... If you put your jerky strips in a liquid to flavor etc... Put the meat and liquid in a sauce pan etc. and heat the liquid to 165 F for a few minutes... Or you could vac package and put in your sous-vide at 170 F for an hour or 2... Do not boil... Simmer to heat the meat, and kill any pathogens.... Then put in your dehydrator...

Erik, afternoon.... There is another option.... If you put your jerky strips in a liquid to flavor etc... Put the meat and liquid in a sauce pan etc. and heat the liquid to 165 F for a few minutes... Or you could vac package and put in your sous-vide at 170 F for an hour or 2... Do not boil... Simmer to heat the meat, and kill any pathogens.... Then put in your dehydrator...

Don't even know what a sous-vide is actually, new to all this.

So with my ground beef recipe (planning on using my jerky gun) I heat it all up in a pot until 165F?

Right now it's marinating in a bag in the fridge, won't that risk cooking the meat or make it difficult putting into jerky gun?

Yes it will make ground meat jerky almost impossible to put through a gun... It's intended for whole meat strips...
You can make the ground strips and heat them on a baking sheet to 165, "maybe", then dehydrate them.... Heat them on the racks from your dehydrator...
I'm not sure USDA had ground meat in their thoughts on this particular subject...

I would not go through all that trouble for Ground Jerky. Check out BAK KWA...Chinese New Year Baked Ground Pork Jerky. Can be used with any ground meat and is easy...JJ

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky