15lbs of roast beef, pictures!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

strecker25

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
For a party today we needed about 15lbs of roast beef.  After some talking to the butcher at the local sams club (awesome meat, btw.  Not sure if its everywhere but ours around here have the best and cheapest cuts ive found) he helped me out and although they normally dont sell them whole, he gave me a 14.5lb top round. Came to around 50$ for the whole thing, and only took a little trimming on my part

Seasonsed overnight with Salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, rosemary, a little onion.  Smoked it to 140, chilled overnight, sliced thin.  They taste like little steaks, delicious.

e323f91a_IMG_0081.jpg

Probably could have smoked it whole, but it helped for cooking time .  Only about 4 hours at 200 degrees.

6db360a3_IMG_0083.jpg

4c9c5411_IMG_0087.jpg

96ef0c4e_IMG_0091.jpg
ce3082cf_IMG_0089.jpg

Reactions: rbranstner
Thanks guys, unfortunately the party isn't until tonight so I cant eat too much until later!

I should also mention that the 75$ i picked up a chefs choice slicer for might be the second best investment ive made other than the smoker.  Being able to uniformly slice this thin is the best.

I hear you about the slicer. It's awesome to be able to slice them thin. Did you have to put it in the freezer or fridge for a bit to firm it up before you sliced it? Those are some great looking slices. I can't wait to try a roast beef. I tried it once but I ended up buying a pork roast on accident. Roast Pork slices are really good to but it just isn't the same as beef. Are you sure you aren't sneaking some samples? I sure would be.

I always go straight to the fridge after the smoke and let it go overnight, helps reduce the juice lost before slicing. Im sure freezing for a short time would also work, but being cold definetly helps.  

and i have absolutely been sneaking some samples, have to make sure it tastes good before sharing.
beercheer.gif

Strecker25, now that is some fine looking roast beef, I love the looks of that smoke, will definitely move that up on my "TO DO" List!  Keep up the good work and the Q-View.

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

That is awsome looking sammie meat.... Will have to put that on my list

Great looking sliced beef, nice and rare. Hear you on the slicer...don't have one personally but get to use the one at work so the slicing is nice and thin. No Sams Club around here but we have a Costco I've very thankful to have near....choice grade beef at great prices and their ribs come with the membrane already off. Congrats on making the banner

Thanks again everyone. The beef was a big hit, 2 people are now in he market for their own mes, and one guy even picked out hints of the apple smoke without me saying what I used. I'd say it was a success.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky