15 pounds of Pork Breakfast Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Busy trapping at the farm but in the down time, I made 15 pounds of my knock-off Jimmy Dean Hot breakfast sausage. Love this recipe and so does the wife. Some quick pics...

I cube up pork butt into 5 pound packages and throw them in the deep freeze for later use.
They thaw quickly since the packages are pretty flat.
IMG_9779.jpg

Seasonings pre-weighed out
IMG_9780.jpg

15 pounds through the LEM Big Bite #8 coarse plate, seasoned, mixed.
I grind it pretty much semi-frozen.
IMG_9781.jpg

Run through the grinder a second time, coarse plate again, bagged all 15 pounds in a giant Ziploc.
Time for an overnight rest.
IMG_9782.jpg

Next day (Sunday)...After church, head to the farm to check the 17 dog-proof and 2 live traps.
5 more coons trapped ... decent day. Head back home.
Test patties were spot on! Time to package.
IMG_9789.jpg

15 pounds in the freezer...
IMG_9787.jpg

I keep those turkey nest raiders from from raiding again :-)

IF - big if - you can find someone to buy the pelt, the best you can hope for is $2.00.
No I get ya lol. I'm in your camp. We eradicate as well lol. Was just curious. My father in law traps them from his corn field and gives them to a black fella in Mississippi. He BBQs them.......I'm not eating that shit though lol

No I get ya lol. I'm in your camp. We eradicate as well lol. Was just curious. My father in law traps them from his corn field and gives them to a black fella in Mississippi. He BBQs them.......I'm not eating that shit though lol
We have gotten 14 in the last couple of weeks with traps set maybe 5 days. We use bait buckets then bait the traps.

Nice sausage.
The KY folk would gladly add them to their burgoo.

I have to do some suppressed shooting of the tree rats this year. Small yard and I had many in 3 huge oak trees last year. Electric fence keeps them out of the garden,
I know a few who keep coon , well, let's just say a part of the male anatomy for a toothpick, but don't know any coon trappers who use the meat.

Looks good Eddie. Perhaps a breakfast fatty is on tap in the near future.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: uncle eddie
A darned fine looking batch of sausage, nice work! I always go with the Rytec recipe and patty's, like the way it cooks as opposed to link for breakfast sausage. RAY

Reactions: uncle eddie
D dougrkyle

Here you go...

Breakfast Sausage
  • 16 ounces ground pork
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more, depending on how hot you want it!)
  • 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon msg

I keep those turkey nest raiders from from raiding again :-)

IF - big if - you can find someone to buy the pelt, the best you can hope for is $2.00.
I remember back in the day a large prime coon pelt would bring $40. Thanks for posting th recipe. I love Jimmy Dean hot

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky