12 lb butt cam I split it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lemans

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 29, 2013
Jackson New Jersey
Guys,
I got a 12 lb butt today for a smoke on Sunday. At 1 1/2 hr per pound I'm looking at
A 18 hr smoke!! Can I cut it in half and smoke two 6 lbs for 9 hrs? Will that work?

Of course you can. It will lower your cooking time and increase the amount of bark you can get. Good luck with it and don't forget the Q-view!

MIke

Last edited:
Agree 100% with the other replies. I do it all the time to cut down on time and for more tasty bark. If you really want to cut back on the time, try a higher temp. I go about 300 and it takes about an hour a pound with no stall. The bark is really crispy and the meat is just as juicy and smokey as low and slow.

Last butt I cooked was 11 lb.  Cooked at 275 -300 and only took 12 hours.

Foiling will cut down the cook time too.

Nice job on the butt Lemans,

FWIW, cutting an 18 lb butt in half won't cut the cook time in half, unless you cut it horizontally through the center and reduce the overall thickness of the butt.   Say the butt is 14 inches long, 12 inches wide and 5 inches tall.   IF you cut it side to side, you'll have 2 hunks of meat that are 7 inches long, 12 inches wide but still 5 inches thick.   If you cut it front to back down the center, both pieces will be 12 inches long, 6 inches wide and still 5 inches thick.    The smallest dimension is what determines the cook time.   In this case, it's the 5 inch thickness of the butt.

If you were to cut it horizontally, each piece would be 14 inches long, 12 inches wide but only 2.5 inches thick, which would reduce the cooking time.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky