11lb picnic shoulder. First smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burm1000

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Salina KS
All,

Tomorrow I'm going to smoke an 11lb picnic shoulder on my WSM.  It will be my first pulled pork.  I've researched it quite a bit.  I plan to follow the awesome instructions provided in a recent post below.  I believe it was by bearcarver.

My concerns are:

1.  I just have regular kingsford not the long lasting stuff.  I assume I'll have to add charcoal at some point.  Should I go by the longer burning variety...I think it is called kingsford blue?

2.  Since mine is a WSM using charcoal, I know I can't control the temperature as exact as noted above.  I'm not particularly worried about it, but will see how it goes.

3.  I plan to put water in the water pan.  It is still wrapped in foil from my last smoke.  Do people still wrap it in foil when using water?

4.  My hope is to serve the pulled pork on the 4Th.  I assume it will store fine in some aluminum pans for a day and then reheat in a crockpot or oven?  Which is better?

I plan to use apple and hickory chips.  By the way, I sent my wife to the store and said get a Boston Butt and specifically said I don't want a picnic or shoulder...God I love the women, but sometimes....

I will adjust for time for mine being 11lbs.  I'm assuming somewhere between 1-1.5 hours per pound.  So 11 - 16.5 hours.  I'll start early.

Boston Butt (Pulled Pork Step by Step)

There are many ways to Smoke Pulled Pork, But.............

Here is how I Smoked this Boston Butt for Pulled Pork, on my MES 40, with AMNPS filled with Hickory Pellets.

So, If you never smoked a Butt before, this might help you with your first one.

Day #1 (Prepping)
Take one 7 pound Boston Butt, and rinse, pat dry, score the fat cap, apply yellow mustard, and cover with a good rub.
Then cover with plastic wrap, and put in fridge. I like to put it in overnight so the meat can absorb the flavor of the rub.

Day #2 (Smoking Day)
6:30AM------------Preheat Smoker to 220˚.
6:45AM------------Put more rub on Butt (optional), and place it on 2nd shelf grill, and foil pan on 3rd shelf grill.
7:00AM------------Fill my AMNPS with Hickory pellets, and light one end.
11:00AM-----------Insert Sterile Meat probe in center of Butt---Internal Temp measures---124˚. 
Note: This is why I never probe uncured whole meat until it's been in the smoker for a few hours, unless I'm positive it will get to 135˚ in time. This one's been in over 4 hours at 220˚ smoker temp, and still in the Danger Zone (under 135˚).

Resume------
12:00Noon--------137˚ Internal Temp. Meat has been in smoker for 5 hours and 15 minutes, and just got out of Danger zone (41˚ to 135˚ in 4 hours).
Since I did not break the seal by probing the Butt, or injecting the Butt, it was OK to go longer than 4 hours in the Danger Zone.

If I know for sure how long it will take to get my meat from 41˚ to 135˚, by using the temperature I'm setting it for, it would be safe to probe or inject the meat.
However, I usually play around with trying different temps. This time I started it at only 220˚, to try to get more smoke time, but since I didn't probe or inject, it didn't hurt anything to be in the Danger Zone for more than 4 hours.

12:00Noon--------Bump heat up to 240˚.
3:00PM------------165˚ Internal Temp. Put Butt in foil pan, add 6 ounces of Apple Juice, and cover & seal with Double Foil.
3:00PM------------Also bump heat up to 260˚, and remove AMNPS (1/2 row was left unburned---Separate & save unburned pellets).
5:30PM------------Internal Temp is 203˚------Cut heat back to 100˚, instead of putting in cooler.
6:00PM------------Pull at 208˚ Internal Temp. (Coasted 5˚)
6:00PM------------Uncover just long enough to bust off a big enough hunk to pull for our Supper, and cover back up again.

Eat Supper while the rest of the Butt sits covered in foil.
Pull the rest of the Butt after Supper.

Rubbed and in the fidge.  I didn't plastic wrap it, just used the container we have for marinating. 

I agree with one small * the picnic usually is sold with some skin on the bottom portion.. trim as much of the skin off on the top of the meat. Rub doesn't stick to fat and rub is what makes the bark. Flip it over and score the skin with a sharp knife.. other than that you are good to go

All,

Tomorrow I'm going to smoke an 11lb picnic shoulder on my WSM.  It will be my first pulled pork.  I've researched it quite a bit.  I plan to follow the awesome instructions provided in a recent post below.  I believe it was by bearcarver.

My concerns are:

1.  I just have regular kingsford not the long lasting stuff.  I assume I'll have to add charcoal at some point.  Should I go by the longer burning variety...I think it is called kingsford blue?  In a 22.5" WSM, a full load of regular Kingsford, called Kingsford Original, or Kingsford Blue Bag (KBB), will give you a 14-16 hour burn at 225F.  As some point you may need to add charcoal.  Half a large chimney of hot charcoal will buy you another 90-120 minutes.  Add it hot, not cold.  Be careful and use the door as a coal chute.  If any of the bricks fall between the basket and the door, just use some tongs to move them into the center of the coals.  Then use tongs to even out the load.  There will be a LOT of ash in the charcoal basket.  Don't stir it too much, but you can try and stir it a little to even out the heat. 

If you buy any more charcoal, switch to Royal Oak Briquettes.  They burn longer and hold temperature better than the current Kingsford formulas.  Lowes has them on sale for the July 4th weekend.  $4 for a 15.4 lb bag, or just a tad under 26 cents a pound.  Now's a good time to stock up. 

2.  Since mine is a WSM using charcoal, I know I can't control the temperature as exact as noted above.  I'm not particularly worried about it, but will see how it goes.  If you load your WSM and it wants to coast at 275F once the water all evaporates, just let it coast.  A picnic doesn't need a constant temp or water in the water pan to come out wonderful. 

3.  I plan to put water in the water pan.  It is still wrapped in foil from my last smoke.  Do people still wrap it in foil when using water?  I don't use water at all, but I have.  I never wrapped my pan. Just cleaned it afterwards.

4.  My hope is to serve the pulled pork on the 4Th.  I assume it will store fine in some aluminum pans for a day and then reheat in a crockpot or oven?  Which is better?  Either crockpot or oven works nicely. 

I plan to use apple and hickory chips.  If you have chunks, they work MUCH better in your WSM than chips.  If you are going to use the chips, don't spread them out.  Build little piles of chips in the coal charcoal. They'll last longer. 

By the way, I sent my wife to the store and said get a Boston Butt and specifically said I don't want a picnic or shoulder...God I love the women, but sometimes.... And they say we don't listen to them!  A picnic works fine.  I buy them on sale.  Got one in the freezer I paid 98 cents a pound for.  It will be smoked here in the next week or two. 

I will adjust for time for mine being 11lbs.  I'm assuming somewhere between 1-1.5 hours per pound.  So 11 - 16.5 hours.  I'll start early.  Definitely trim off the skin.  Put the fat on the picnic toward the heat.  It acts like a nice buffer.  I do the same with butts.  Don't be surprised if it takes 2 hours per pound.  It won't be a problem since you are doing it ahead of time. 

Post pics when you're done!

Ray

5.5 hours in and doing ok. I just added the probe to the shoulder and it reads 157. Chamber temp 235. Went to church and it rained while I was gone. Temp dropped 7 degrees from 227 to 220. I was pretty happy with that. Will transfer to a pan with apple juice and cover st 165.

​going on 8.5 hours.  Currently tented in a foil pan with some apple juice at the bottom. 

Smoker temp 255 - 265

Meat temp reading at 179.

Hopefully next update in 3-4 hours with temp at 205!!

Thanks.  Between Bear's step by step guide and your answers to my concerns, it was a pretty stress free process.  The temp did run up on me a bit but I didn't worry about it per your comments.  The bone slipped right out and it pulled very easy.  Nice flavor as well in my opinion!  Looking forward to having it on the 4Th!  I'm getting ready to post about my plan for ribs as well.  I'm doing them tomorrow.

One more question.  What does it mean when people put "Points" in their posts? 

Thanks.  Between Bear's step by step guide and your answers to my concerns, it was a pretty stress free process.  The temp did run up on me a bit but I didn't worry about it per your comments.  The bone slipped right out and it pulled very easy.  Nice flavor as well in my opinion!  Looking forward to having it on the 4Th!  I'm getting ready to post about my plan for ribs as well.  I'm doing them tomorrow.

One more question.  What does it mean when people put "Points" in their posts? 

Congrats on the successful smoke!

Whenever someone gives you a thumbs up for a good post, great comment, pics, etc, that thumbs up accumulates points for the person receiving them.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky