--- $110--- MES Analog w free shipping !!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

marctrees

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016
Tx / LA border, Toledo Bend
I called Masterbuilt and politely, yet firmly, grilled the Rep for accurate answers.

Turns out, best I figure, the blue and red ones, are the same as the black one @ $150 Walmart, or Amazon.

Blue OR Pewter - $110, Red $120 --   free shipping or pickup.

At Walmart online only.

So, this is $30 - $40 less than the regular price of the Black.

Masterbuilt said - ALL THREE same size, double wall, 1500W, 3 racks, legs, and couple other points....  same.

I was told the ALL SAME other than door color.

I ordered a red one, (Although cheap, still a big expenditure for our household) and plan on AMNPS, Auber dual probe 1800,(mostly for future Sausage temps) and custom self made Stainless "Mailbox" in that order. down the road, when have $.

NO way would I buy MES electronics.

And, also a Thermoworks Smoke somewhere in that mix.

And a better door thermometer, for quick rough glancing.

Seems to me, for $500 total I will be all set with the ultimate small, non Stainless setup.

Bang for the Buck.    
sausage.gif
        Marc

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=masterbuilt smoker

Last edited:
All my electric smokers are now Auber controlled.  Best thing I did.....besides marrying my wife of course.   You will enjoy your new smoker. Nice price.

Hmmmmm..... I  have an Auber PID rated for up to 1650 watts and pellet tray that I use with the e-WSM (which is un-insulated).  So for $110 I can be in service with an insulated upgrade for sticks and sausage?

So is the lack of a vent for both air intake and exhaust an issue with the MES analog?

Note the analog controller on the e-WSM appears to be the same type as used by Masterbuilt on their analog model smokers.

Last edited:
Dward-  The MES Analog models have double wall, but best I understand, from numerous sources, including Masterbuilt, NO insulation.

All the Digitals seems ARE insulated.

Re the in/out venting on the Analog - I figure I'll get the unit, and do a bit of DIY for that issue, no problem  based on advice here from Bearcarver and others.     Marc

Dward-  The MES Analog models have double wall, but best I understand, from numerous sources, including Masterbuilt, NO insulation.

All the Digitals seems ARE insulated.

Re the in/out venting on the Analog - I figure I'll get the unit, and do a bit of DIY for that issue, no problem  based on advice here from Bearcarver and others.     Marc
Yup---I never had the Analog Masterbuilt, but my Memory Banks tell me the only problem the owners mentioned was the lack of vents, especially if they wanted to use an AMNPS.

A few Drilled holes always seemed to correct this problem.

Bear

Well, I was at the local Gander Mountain today, and I looked over their black MES analog (which is $169.99).  It does have a smoke exhaust vent of sorts.  It's small and in the upper right corner (facing from the front of the smoker).  So basically it's the same size as the drip outlet which would serve as the air inlet.  I'm eying this mainly for snack sticks and other lower temp sausage smoking which is where a PID controlled electric smoker excels.  I see I can add 2 more racks for a total of 5 racks. (and they even have those in an accessory kit).   Heck for the price, I'm really starting to consider this as an option.

What I'm thinking is remove the stock chip tray and water pan along with the rack they mount in.  Then cut an aluminum pizza pan with 3/16" holes in it to fit in the slot the original rack was in.  This will be for better heat diffusion and also serve as a heat shield for the pellet tray. Then make a stand to raise the pellet tray up a little and get it up away from the heat shield another inch or so.  I'm thinking about cutting a drip shield to go over the top of the pellet tray an inch or so above it as well (could make the stand and shield in one with a slide in shelf for the pellet tray).

I don't see why you could not enlarge that exhaust opening and put say a 1" to 1.5" copper pipe with a 90*-L fitting and extend a chimney upwards to get a better draw of air in through the bottom opening (which could also be enlarged in similar fashion).  Actually I would try a piece of copper that fits that opening before I cut it.  I did not measure it, but you could probably friction fit a scrap of 1/2" in there to try the chimney effect as a proof of concept without modifying the smoker body.

Even if it's not insulated, it is still double wall and that alone has some insulation value as compared to the WSM which is single wall.  If I can pull it off with the WSM and a 1,350 watt element, it should work great in the MES with double walls and a 1,500 watt element.   Again, I'm just looking for something to be dedicated to snack sticks and lower temp smoking of sausage, not hot smoking of pork butts and ribs, etc... (but it should still work for that as well).

Last edited:
I just noticed something.  The MES 30 analog rack mounts are not the same as in the Sportsman Elite model MES that Gander Mountain carries.  The one at Walmart can only hold 3 racks where the Sportsman Elite version hold up to 5 (but only comes with 3).  That means to expand to the 8 rack version like in the mod, I have to also replace all the existing rack mounts with the SE version. 

Interior of the red Walmart one that is on sale (pewter is same)

Last edited:
Dward - I am pretty sure the one I have in transit is what you show in the photo.

I do not have it in hands yet, next week.

The 3  racks apparently, LOOKS LIKE, plugged into holes in the inner wall.

Have NOT yet seen it in front of my eyes.and hands to study reality.

NO rack support structure, just "plugged" into sheet metal.

I really like the weight borne down to the floor, BUT - IF the racks are rigid enough, I can live w drilling new holes.

Do you know - Can I just drill holes if I want the racks in different levels?     Marc

The MES 30 Analog was my very first smoker, and I had received it for Christmas 3-4 years ago. It was originally sort of a joke I think.. because my family didn't believe I'd ever use it... Now here I am - an addicted smoke/meathead!! 
yahoo.gif

As others have mentioned prior to me, the biggest issue is the lack of exhaust.  It still baffles me why they haven't taken hat extra time to add a bigger hole in it.. When I first used it (Before I found SMF & Todd's AMNPS) I just used the chip tray.  It seemed to work alright at first, but I noticed the chip times were pretty abysmal around 30 minutes or less. Then I came about Todd's AMNPS, but there just was nowhere near the air flow in the chamber for it to work properly. I think I drilled 2x 3/4" holes up top for exhaust and two in the bottom.  I should've done 1" holes by the time I put something in there to keep insulation working properly. 

All in all it's a great first smoker to start with, but honestly I'd recommend just going to the Digital MES 30/40. As much tinkering as you will be doing with his little guy you'll be spending that extra money anyways.  And then the only thing you'll have to do is set your food and forget it till it's done cooking in the digitals. 
icon14.gif

All in all it's a great first smoker to start with, but honestly I'd recommend just going to the Digital MES 30/40. As much tinkering as you will be doing with his little guy you'll be spending that extra money anyways.  And then the only thing you'll have to do is set your food and forget it till it's done cooking in the digitals. 
icon14.gif
Just a FYI, I was at Sam's Club today and they have the 40" digital MES with bluetooth on sale for $279 which seems to be about the best price I've seen so far.

Just a FYI, I was at Sam's Club today and they have the 40" digital MES with bluetooth on sale for $279 which seems to be about the best price I've seen so far.
I think that's about what I got my MES 40 for. I bet if you watch carefully these next few weeks around the holidays you can get a good bargain somewhere as well. 

I think that's about what I got my MES 40 for. I bet if you watch carefully these next few weeks around the holidays you can get a good bargain somewhere as well. 
Yup---Cabelas has Great sales near Christmas, and big Discount Coupons.

Bear

yeahthat.gif
 ...  If you like it....  drill a few more hole and try an AUBER controller...    A $$$$ saving idea...  and the smoker will control like nothing you could ever imagine.......

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky