11# Turkey done fast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

myer1018

Original poster
Dec 10, 2015
Fort Worth, Texas
rGot an 11# Turkey for Thanksgiving with friends. 

Brined for 24 hours then put rub on it and let it sit in fridge overnight. 

I set up smoker to cook at about 250 expecting to take about 4 hours on a 11# bird. It is done in 2 1/2 with temp never getting above 275.

Anyone know why it would cook this fast? It might be the smallest bird I've ever done, but I've ad chickens take longer. 

I am just going to wrap it in and put in cooler with towels to keep it warm and hopefully not have to reheat for dinner. 

Will post pics soon. 

Sometimes it happens that way.

I did a 21# bird in just over 3 hours with the smoker running at 270.

But I did part it out, so that way they do cook faster.

Are you sure the smoker was at 250-275?

Al

Seems about right time wise. Could your temp gauge be off a few degree.
I have done 15lb birds in 3hrs.

Upon further review, it did get up to about 325 for a about an hour while I left my boss (wife) in control of it. Here's hoping its not too dry and the skin is crispy!! 

I have done 2 3.5 pound turkey breasts in about 2.5 to 3 hours.  They were both very good and well done.  I done one in a wet brine and one in a dry brine for 24 hours.  I will attempt at whole turkey next Wednesday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky