100lb propane tank smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NewfieSmoker77

Original poster
Sep 21, 2020
I've started my first reverse flow smoker from a 100lb propane tank, 15"x41". I know its a small tank but its what got and I'm gonna try it. I thought of using a 20lb tank I have for the firebox, but looking at it now I'm thinking its too small.

I had a thought of cutting my other 100lb tank i have into 2 and using it for the fire box, that would be 15"x20.5". Just wondering if that size would be sufficient for the size of the smoker chamber.

Also I have some 2.5" ss pipe, was planning on using for the smoke stack.

Last edited:
I've started my first reverse flow smoker from a 100lb propane tank, 15"x41". I know its a small tank but its what got and I'm gonna try it. I thought of using a 20lb tank I have for the firebox, but looking at it now I'm thinking its too small.

I had a thought of cutting my other 100lb tank i have into 2 and using it for the fire box, that would be 15"x20.5". Just wondering if that size would be sufficient for the size of the smoker chamber.

Also I have some 2.5" ss pipe, was planning on using for the smoke stack.
Just measured the 20lb tank, diameter is 12" and length is 14"

Last edited:
Here is a great tutorial on the calculations for building a RF smoker.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky