10 barrels full of windshield washing fluid!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

les3176

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
harborcreek,pa
Not sure if this is where this post goes,if it needs moved please do. I just got home with 10 full 55 gallon drums of windshield washing fluid from my local napa parts store.All drums are brand new and in great shape no dings or dents in them!  now i have the task of pumping the fluid into the tires of our 2 new 5101en John deere cab tractors.So would the drums be safe to use in a uds? We use washer fluid because it will not rust out the rims of tires,so that makes me think that it cant be too harmful? I have read alot of posts on here so i know i will have to do a burnout in them,will that be enough?? Also i will not be doing any type of build for some time should i burn them out and let one sit or is it ok to wait till im going to start them burn one out? All these drums after my wife asked me if i wanted a electric smoker for christmas! lol, I dont think im going to tell her about the drums till after holidays!!  Please drop me a line on the safety of the drums...thanks all

Somebody will be along to help you. I'm an electric smoker guy myself.

I just looked where you are in PA. You can't go much farther Northwest in PA without getting wet, can you!

Bear

I don't see any issue with the contents (washer fluid) and I'd just wait until your ready to start the build before burning it out.  If they don't have an epoxy type liner you'll have smooth sailing!  

X2

Store them until you are ready, burn it out, build it and smoke it.

Very nice score.

Thanks all,I didnt think there would be a problem with washer fluid.But i have not open them up yet to see if there is a epoxy liner in them,if there is will it be a problem to remove it??? And bear I live in Harborcreek pa, which is just outside Erie about 2-3 miles.As far as the lake goes its about a mile from my house so its very close!!!

I think it depends what brand of fluid.  I checked "Peak" fluid and it has antifreeze in it (Propylene Glyco  l) same stuff used in RV antifreeze.  Probably not the worst for you.  Just look into the product and obtain the MSDS form Napa.

Proceed with caution, then build.  You'll love the UDS.

washer fluid contains methenol . so when you burn it out make sure you have

good venilation as burning methanol causes carbon monoxide and  formaldahide

Thanks,it will be burned outside so no problem with venilation.i am currently looking for a msds and hoping for no epoxy liner!

I would say power wash them and give it a good burn, now if there lined you have some work ahead of you. I think they only line food grade barrels but don't hold me to that. Either way you will love the drum smoker.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 Here's a wiki to help out, lots of way's to build them so get creative this is just how I did mine.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/brining-poultry

I would say power wash them and give it a good burn, now if there lined you have some work ahead of you. I think they only line food grade barrels but don't hold me to that. Either way you will love the drum smoker.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 Here's a wiki to help out, lots of way's to build them so get creative this is just how I did mine.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wiki/brining-poultry
I used a drum with anti freeze in it.  The product is shipped in a flimsy plastic drum inserted in the steel drum..  The plastic one slides out easy, a clamp style lid on the drum.  The steel drum was spotless, but had the liner.  used a rosebud tip on an oxy/acy torch.  So, any drum may be lined.

Good luck

icon_cool.gif

I would be careful for what Bob (eman) said. You don't want to mess with any of them chemicals they just sounds bad for you. So I really don't see anything wrong with using them for a smoker so go for it and be careful.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky