1/4 OF A BACKSTRAP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
Hello all! I vacum pack my backstraps in quarters so nothing wasted. Going to smoke this afternoon. Got it seasoned with Killer Hogs all purpose seasoning and will wrap the chunk in bacon. I will smoke at 275 degrees. Not concerned with cook time. I am focused on the IT. Don't like and won't eat bloody deer meat. Need it a little over medium Well. I usually fry it so not to savvy on smoking backstrap. However, I can smoke a killer hind quarter but that's different. Any help on the IT will be much appreciated.

Reactions: Hawging It
Over in my Venison Roast like Prime Rib thread I have some info that may helps:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-venison-roast-like-prime-rib-with-qview.270688/

Basically a temp of 140F IT should get you where you want to go.

Here is what a Venison Top Round roast looks like at 140F IT.

Here is what a Venison Bottom Round roast looks like at 133F.

I hope this info helps :)
Just got back to the forum. It turned out wonderful. 140 IT which was just like I like it. Little over medium. Going to post pics soon.

Just got back to the forum. It turned out wonderful. 140 IT which was just like I like it. Little over medium. Going to post pics soon.

Excellent! I can't wait for some pics :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky