1/2 size smoke tube

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
I got my second octagonal smoke tubes that is a knock off of the original A-Maze-N tubes
Purchased this one at Menard's for around $11
tube-1.png

Open end cap is only tack welded on each flat side easy to knock lose with a putty knife.

tube-2.png
Tube with end cap removed

tube-3.png

Cut down with a hacksaw. Don't over think, just pick a spot and cut. Sorry, no photos of the cut, Holes in the tube are your saw guide.

Here is the result
tube-4.png

The end cap simply hand presses in place.
Adding the U bolt stand is from normanaj normanaj

tube-5.png

Thanks for looking and always ready to answer questions.

edit replaced virgin tube photo. Found my purchase in phone

Last edited:
I have an inexpensive tube as well that the end falls off, I am just gonna get a couple of rivets and secure it and be done with it.

Why cut the tube down when you can simply just half fill it if you want less smoke? I get just under 4 hours of smoke from my tube so I just fill it for the time limit on smoke that I want.

I hacked one of mine in half a while back. Works great for short cooks. I cut mine just so it was easier to ignite and it takes up less space. I like the U bolt clamp idea. Will have to give it a try.

Reactions: Fueling Around
always ready to answer questions.
I was wondering if you bought new ends . I assumed you had the round one .
In my case I would need caps , because I want to make one tube into 2 .
They used to sell the caps an the web sight , but I can't find them now .

I was wondering if you bought new ends . I assumed you had the round one .
In my case I would need caps , because I want to make one tube into 2 .
They used to sell the caps an the web sight , but I can't find them now .
I took the cutoff piece and folded in some of the sidewall to make an end cap. It is at home or I would attach a photo.

Reactions: chopsaw
Why cut the tube down when you can simply just half fill it if you want less smoke? I get just under 4 hours of smoke from my tube so I just fill it for the time limit on smoke that I want.
Initially because it was easier to lite. Lately because a full size tube won't fit in my new kettle
IMG_2088.JPG

I had the same question as the above^^^.
Also why cut the tube in half instead of just filling the whole tube halfway?
That way you could just put in what you think you need, or if your meat is done before the tube has burned, then just knock the hot coals away from the unburnt pellets & save them for another cook!
Al

Reactions: one eyed jack
Years ago when i was doing some testing for Todd, he asked how the tube does in my Bradley. I said good but its kinda long, could you cut it in half?

Week later this showed up in the mail
Half size grenade tube. This is the first original small one he made. I still use it.
20220328_113445.jpg

Why would you add a tube to a kettle instead of chunks? Not being sarcastic, just curious.
Actually a really good question. Smoke control is the #1 reason
The smoke tube entered my life by getting a pellet grill. I wasn't satisfied with the smoke from my pellet grill. I got my first pellet tube to generate the TBS.
Cold smoking was in Big Chief electric, but the element shorted out a couple years ago when I was just starting a cheese smoke. Had read about cold smoking in a kettle using only the pellet tube for smoke and heat. Wow that is phenomenal. A pellet tube generates a very uniform TBS as opposed to using chunks that start slow, get heavy, then tapers off.

Reactions: clifish
I don't have a photo of my original intent for a half tube.
I wanted to add a short blast of cherry wood pellets on smoked ribs along with a full tube of hickory.
I ran out of room in my pellet grill and could only squeeze in a halfer.

He used to sell the end caps on the web sight , but I guess the web sight is gone since he sold ?
I found A-Maze-N buried in the Pit Boss website. No end caps

No end caps

That sucks.So basically when the end cap(s) fail you have to buy whole a new tube.
All my tubes are in great shape so no issues even after all these years.

I hope the quality of the Amazen products stays the same.I've tried a few knock-offs and they just don't last.

Last edited:
Years ago when i was doing some testing for Todd, he asked how the tube does in my Bradley. I said good but its kinda long, could you cut it in half?

Week later this showed up in the mail
Half size grenade tube. This is the first original small one he made. I still use it.View attachment 627423
I bought 2 of those right away. Didn't have the larger in stock.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky