1/2” pipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

emac221

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 14, 2016
i have a chance to buy 30”x74”x1/2” Pope is that to thick fro a cook camber I always hear of 1/4” or 3/8

Reverse plate would you stick to half inch or 1/4

It will cost me .25 cents a pound but is it worth going that thick I’ll counter weight the door I am planning on a reverse flow that’s what I am used to my other cooker is a 250 gallon reverse flow that is 1/4 inch

I am a huge fan of thermal mass. That's why I have BGE's. The only thing better than ceramic is 1/4" steel. The only thing better than 1/4" steel is 1/2" steel.

I'd rather have thicker than thinner. All the folks that fight cold windy and/or rainy days on their stamped sheet metal smokers/grilles like the beloved Weber kettle go ahead and weight in.

My BGE during every blizzard or major snow we had in the last 10 years as been loaded with a brisket or pork shoulder and pushed outside to fend for itself overnight until I can dig a path to it in the morning. No matter summer temps of a 10 degree Noreaster the in the teens thermal mass really helps regulate internal temp.

It is important you insure your equipment can safely lift, handle, and fabricate heavy steel. If it can, you can't go wrong with the thermal mass 1/2" steel provides. If your equipment isn't up to the task, you probably shouldn't take advantage of the "opportunity".

It is important you insure your equipment can safely lift, handle, and fabricate heavy steel. If it can, you can't go wrong with the thermal mass 1/2" steel provides. If your equipment isn't up to the task, you probably shouldn't take advantage of the "opportunity".

We do we have a forklift with 10000 pound and a tractor with forks with 2500 capacity and my welder work with 3/4 inch plate all the time on commercial fishing boats

? Will all of you do the whole build with the same material like reverse flow plate warming cabinet firebox will be 1/2” plate thinking 1/4 will heat up befor the 1/2” would

Doesn't sound like you are a stranger to wrestling with heavy steel. Only question I have left is why in the heck you haven't bought the pipe and gotten to work on the smoker?

Doesn't sound like you are a stranger to wrestling with heavy steel. Only question I have left is why in the heck you haven't bought the pipe and gotten to work on the smoker?

Decided to go and pick it up next Saturday and start my trailer build this week

Yes

Attachments

• BDCB05DA-039A-4BF1-84BB-60A4260F18BA.jpeg
    BDCB05DA-039A-4BF1-84BB-60A4260F18BA.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 37
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky