“Creosote” build up.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ruedeleglise

Original poster
Aug 11, 2018
i have cold smoked a couple of sides of salmon. The second much better that the first! Getting ready for the third using a different cure process. The inside of my cabinet is well covered by this “creosote”. Should I wash this out? Does it cause any problems if left. If so what’s the best method and do you use any particular cleaner?

The smoke from you cooks will naturally stick to and coat the inside of your cooker. Why do you think this is creosote? I trust you've been using seasoned hardwood for you smoke seasoning. Doing so should not lead to creosote build up. Most pit masters do not regularly clean the inside of the smoker. In fact, that accumulation of smoke creates a seasoning of sorts the contributes very subtly to the final flavor profile.

I say no need to wash the inside of your smoker (but you should definately be washing your grates after every use :) )

Probably not creosote just build up from smoke. If in fact it is creosote you are not venting your smoker properly.
Had never cleaned the inside of my 6 year old smoker but as said I clean the racks after every smoke.

Warren

Great replies. Thanks. As I am so new to cold smoking I have many questions. I may well put an additional adjustable vent in the top of the cabinet.
Thanks so much for your help.

Lots of air flow... That helps create Thin Blue Smoke... very desirable.. and helps consume any creosote...
Fire up your smoker to a high temp and burn out any creosote...
Also, be sure any meat has a dry surface before adding the smoke... Smoke adheres to moisture and creates "acid rain", IMO, an acrid bitter flavor...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky