¿ Second Smoke on Deli Bacon ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
Tonight we're having sausages with hot German potato salad which needs 3 slices of bacon + a little grease to add to the dressing. I don't want to thaw a pack of my homemade double smokey bacon so I might buy 3 strips of bacon from the deli and just cold smoke it, then let it mellow a few hours in the fridge before frying it. Should 2 hours be fine or would that be overkill?

Are the sausages smoked?
I think you could just cook the bacon & forget the cold smoked part.
But of course this is Smoking meat forum, so if you want to get more of a Smokey flavor, go for it!
Al

Are the sausages smoked?
I think you could just cook the bacon & forget the cold smoked part.
But of course this is Smoking meat forum, so if you want to get more of a Smokey flavor, go for it!
Al

No, the sausages are fresh brat and a jalapeno cheddar and will be the main meat, I just wanted some smokey flavor in the potato salad since the bacon will be crumbled and some grease is in the sauce which is a Dijon, garlic, peppery kind of dressing with vinegar and parsley.

Reactions: chopsaw
No, the sausages are fresh brat and a jalapeno cheddar and will be the main meat, I just wanted some smokey flavor in the potato salad since the bacon will be crumbled and some grease is in the sauce which is a Dijon, garlic, peppery kind of dressing with vinegar and parsley.

That sounds really good. In that case I would definitely give the bacon a dose of smoke! Would you mind posting that dressing recipe, I would love to try it!
Al

I've cold smoked store bought bacon before. It comes out fine. I just draped them through the grates and smoked them for a couple hours.

Thanks guys, I figured it would be doable.... so the experiment is underway using my sawdust tray.... , and yes I will locate the recipe and post it.
J1NB7gS.jpg

Here is the link to the RECIPE I'm using today. If you to the 'print' screen there is a +/- option on the number of servings, and it automatically scales the recipe for you.

That's the same recipe and site my wife makes hers from. That stuff is delicious. Had some last month when I made some reubans.

Reactions: thirdeye
That's the same recipe and site my wife makes hers from. That stuff is delicious. Had some last month when I made some reubans.
We didn't have any of the little red potatoes, so it's Yukon gold this time around.

--- Update ---
Well, I went about 3.5 hours in the cold smoke because I wanted some dwell time on the bacon before frying it. I'm thinking, since there are about 15 slices of thick bacon to a pound it would be pretty easy to lay down a 'second smoke' on a couple of pounds of deli bacon at a time. The first mod I built for my drums was a rack for sausage and jerky. This same set-up will work like a charm with bacon especially if I need to use longer times like Steve H Steve H used in the linked thread.

535ZNP8.jpg
I use the same hanging rack for ribs, loins , vertical skewers.... about anything.
HTaLxfL.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky