Updates and more questions…..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Timber II

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 15, 2023
Swamp east Missouri
Ok I think I found some fatback for more deer summer sausage, butcher says will be in by Friday and will call.

I was able to get some more deer w the bow to so that’s covered.

Smoke tube should be here today.

And in reading the recommended book Great Sausage Recipes etc by Rytek, I’ve noticed his venison SS recipe (p. 285) is nearly identical to the MeatEater recipe I’m using (hmmm) AND Rytek states it only needs to be brought to an IT of 145. Is this because the recipe uses both cure #1 and fermento?
Thanks again boys
Timber

Attachments

• IMG_3567.jpeg
    IMG_3567.jpeg
    355.6 KB · Views: 23

And in reading the recommended book Great Sausage Recipes etc by Rytek, I’ve noticed his venison SS recipe (p. 285) is nearly identical to the MeatEater recipe I’m using (hmmm) AND Rytek states it only needs to be brought to an IT of 145. Is this because the recipe uses both cure #1 and fermento?
Thanks again boys
Timber
Tim
here is a good read on meat safety and temps versus time.

Reactions: Timber II
The new elevated temperatures, in my opinion, are due to the presence of salmonella being found in many products...
That being said, you can finish sausage at lower temps if you follow USDA pasteurization tables...
Using the example 135F, it recommends 28 minutes for a 5 log reduction for salmonella.... Personally, I increase the time by at least 1 hour... That is insurance if your therm is off or the meat has inconsistent temperatures... Also, the longer the hold time, the log reduction increases approaching a 7 log reduction in bacteria etc....
Using this chart, reduces or eliminates fat out and dry and crumbly sausage like high temperatures can cause...

View attachment 382674
What many go by

And in reading the recommended book Great Sausage Recipes etc by Rytek, I’ve noticed his venison SS recipe (p. 285) is nearly identical to the MeatEater recipe I’m using (hmmm) AND Rytek states it only needs to be brought to an IT of 145.
What edition of the book do you have ? I believe there were some errors in earlier editions .
I have a copy of the fourth edition . The Venison SS formula is on page 296 , and gives an internal temp of 152 .

There is safe and there is preference. I find the lower ITs a little too tender and prefer higher like 150-155F. Firmer bite, more like what you expect/store bought. Also, forgot to post on your other thread but fermento is buttermilk powder and adds a SLIGHT tang but does not ferment at all. I didn't care for it. A better alternative is ECA but does not work for my process. IMO no real substitute for a real ferment. Not really that hard to do but takes a basic understanding and little effort.

Ok I think I found some fatback for more deer summer sausage, butcher says will be in by Friday and will call.

I was able to get some more deer w the bow to so that’s covered.

Smoke tube should be here today.

Thanks again boys
Timber

Congrats on the deer!
Can't help you with the book stuff but many folks take their sausage to low 150's and yeah cure#1 keeps it safe from bacteria for those times it is cooking and being so low temp. Also the meat kinda gets pasteurized with how long it spends at temps as it rises to your desired temp :)

Not sure chopsaw, says revised CR 1985
Mine says 2008 .
Here's a thread with a discussion about the book . You may find the comments useful .

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky