Tons of peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Friends again gave me a huge box of peppers. Couple grocery bags of jalapeno, small bag of serrano, 3 bags of hot banana and 1 bag of white hot block peppers. Decided to work on the jalapeno and serrano today. I'll be processing a gallon batch of my Mean Green hot sauce this weekend so started another gallon of that. Vacuum packed the rest for the freezer. Picked out a nice amount of red mature jalapeno and serrano for a future Sriracha project. The food saver packs these down into rock hard bricks! I'll get at least two more gallons of Mean Green from these with some green super hots added. I plan on making sauce with the white block pepper mixed with my white coyote Zan peppers. The banana will go to both PeppeDILLard ferments and also mid winter b&b peppers. I'll process th banana and block tomorrow. I also have finally got some super hots ripening so will pick them as well.
1000005073-01.jpeg

I guess I have no friends, nobody gives me peppers. :emoji_cry:
These folks have a huge very well kept garden and rows and rows of peppers. Heck they asked me if I had any specific ones they could grow for me next year. Really cool people.
I need to give the fermentation process a try
Wife made a batch of sauerkraut kimchi this summer so I think she might be game for peppers
Go for it. Once you have your own pepper sauces you will be hooked!!

The only peppers my friends gave me was in the form of a spray!!! LOL just kidding.

Great looking haul of peppers Jeff. Looking forward to the finished product.

Point for sure
Chris

I’m guessing you have the process down very well. I do NOT and always have something burning before I am done. It looks amazing.

Reactions: jcam222
I’m guessing you have the process down very well. I do NOT and always have something burning before I am done. It looks amazing.
Are you referring to burning sauces? Mine are ferments so no cooking involved.

I guess I have no friends, nobody gives me peppers. :emoji_cry:
I guess I have no friends because I can't find more than six people that consume a lot of hot sauce for me to move it and make big batches. I have to dehydrate or smoke/dry 24 hours for all kinds of chipotle style pods and powders to preserve them.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Are you referring to burning sauces? Mine are ferments so no cooking involved.
No, it’s me. Eyes, nose, cuts I never noticed on my hands before. I always think, it’s just a few peppers, so I don’t need gloves and I washed up good after I was done. That typically does not work out well for me.

Reactions: chopsaw and jcam222
No, it’s me. Eyes, nose, cuts I never noticed on my hands before. I always think, it’s just a few peppers, so I don’t need gloves and I washed up good after I was done. That typically does not work out well for me.
Leaving on the stem makes for a nice handle and tossing them in the ferment for more Lactobacillus if you don't have a starter. Tweezer them out with the little pepper cap attached after fermenting before pureeing.

I learned my lesson! I have 1000 pairs of nitrile gloves in the bbq cabinet.

Reactions: chp
gave me a huge box of peppers
My gosh . Peter Piper got nothin' on you .

Hey . Dedicate a few of those to mash , fermented mash , spun up in the blender , or However you get to strained and dried . Then ground up for powder . I've been wanting to do that from raw peppers . Just wondering how it would work .

That is a lot of knife work Jeff. Kudos my friend.
Biggest task is just keeping the seeds from flying everywhere!
I see many bottles of flaming peppergoodies in your future

That's a lot of peppers, and work. But end products , priceless

David
There sure will be David. My super hots are starting to turn color now too. I should have a nice harvest over the next 3-4 weeks. Ghost, red savine habanero, chocolate habanero and tons of scorpion. Also have one small white Coyote pepper plant. The combos will be endless!
My gosh . Peter Piper got nothin' on you .

Hey . Dedicate a few of those to mash , fermented mash , spun up in the blender , or However you get to strained and dried . Then ground up for powder . I've been wanting to do that from raw peppers . Just wondering how it would work .
I do need to try doing some powder. I have several bottles of powder from friends that could last a lifetime it's so hot. Neighbors dad just gave me a bottle of reaper powder.
I was lucky enough to win some of Jeff’s hot sauces in a Throwdown. They are top notch! Good luck with this batch of peppers Jeff.

Fred
Thanks for the kind words Fred. Did you have a favorite from them?
I look forward to seeing what you make with them.
Thanks, I'll surely post them
Nice haul Jeff! I need to get more going.
I can't seem to ever have enough right now. Between selling around town , gifts for friends and eating it I run out a lot. Can't wait until my super hots are ready.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Biggest task is just keeping the seeds from flying everywhere!

There sure will be David. My super hots are starting to turn color now too. I should have a nice harvest over the next 3-4 weeks. Ghost, red savine habanero, chocolate habanero and tons of scorpion. Also have one small white Coyote pepper plant. The combos will be endless!

I do need to try doing some powder. I have several bottles of powder from friends that could last a lifetime it's so hot. Neighbors dad just gave me a bottle of reaper powder.

Thanks for the kind words Fred. Did you have a favorite from them?

Thanks, I'll surely post them

I can't seem to ever have enough right now. Between selling around town , gifts for friends and eating it I run out a lot. Can't wait until my super hots are ready.
I picked five Trinidad Scopions and dropped them in the freezer bag with the others for a ferment this Fall. They're ripening finally. I've got lots of powders from plants 2016+. With a dedicated grinder I stand outside with my back to the wind grinding dehydrated Ghost, Carolina Reaper and Chipotle style Chocolate Habaneros. Choc Habs are hotter than the orange Habs and have a great fruity, earthy and cumin natural flavor on their own so I smoked/dried a couple hundred or so of them since I needed to preserve them anyway. I got 1,000 Choc Habs from two plants and the next year 500+ Carolina reapers from two plants in pots. Saved spent coffee grounds is the seccret from over the winter coffee drinking and mixed equally with top soil and peat moss or potting soil and a 1/2 cup of Epsom salt per gallon of water every six weeks for the magnesium to uptake all that Nitrogen from the coffee grounds and no need for sand with the coffee. Spice measuring spoons are your dosing friends with the powders. Tad 1/4 tsp, dash 1/8, pinch 1/16 and a smidgen 1/32. A dash of powder is good for a frozen pizza. A smidgen per small slice, taco and burrito.
239.jpg

912.jpg

Reactions: mlh5953
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky