Another sauce ferment and a plethora of peppers!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I was gifted a ton of peppers yesterday. Easily a bushel of hot banana peppers, hot pale block peppers, jalapenos and a few serrano's. This is less than half of them.
PXL_20230814_150616977.jpg
Sorted then stemmed and seeded the banana and block, just stemmed and chopped jalapeno. Vacuum packed them into solid bricks of peppers for the freezer. It was a ton of work lol.
1000004853-02.jpeg
The serrano's and many of the jalapenos are now in this one gallon ferment which will become my Mean Green 2023 blend. It's one of my most popular sauces over the last two years. This will go three weeks only for a less funky jalapeno forward flavor. Thanks go looking
PXL_20230814_191418093.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool work Jeff. What percentage of salt are you using in the brine? I’ve been getting away with 1.5% salt in all my ferments.

Reactions: jcam222
Very cool work Jeff. What percentage of salt are you using in the brine? I’ve been getting away with 1.5% salt in all my ferments.
I stick to 3.5,% for all my pepper ferments. By the time I'm at my target time the saltiness is long gone. I think my first few I may have done 3%

Last edited:
Wow that a lot of peppers and your the man for the job!
Man it was a ton of work, I felt like they were replenishing as I cut them. They will probably give me at least that many more one more time. Hoping for a ton of jalapenos between them and my buddy. I'll use banana for b&b peppers, fried peppers and more this winter jalapeno will all be for sauces as will my superhots when I harvest.

Now I'm Chomping at the bit to get my stuff in now that i've ordered it!!!
Teach me oh great one!

Jim
You think you are chomping at the bit now wait until you taste your first delicious sauce. You will be hooked. There's still pickles, kraut, kimchi much more when you get rolling!

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Nice gift!. I'm freezing Trinidad Scorpions as they ripen for a post season vac bag ferment. I'll have to decide on a 3.5 or 4% brine and freeze everything with the bag standing up with extra bag material, then vac seal. My Kimchi in the fridge will be the starter liquid in the frozen bag with brine and chopped peppers. It'll turn in to a CO2 pillow you can make a cut at the top of the bag and purge if getting too inflated, seal the hole with scotch tape and double seal the vac bag below the tape. Hang bag with a binder clip as it turn into a pillow. I'll make a thread.

Looks like another amazing batch Jeff. Keep us updated.

Point for sure
Chris

That's a lot of nice looking peppers.

I wish I had an understanding of the fermentation process. Not to mention the patience to do this. I'd really like to try it but seams to scientific for my brain. I'll have to do some research.

That's a lot of nice looking peppers.

I wish I had an understanding of the fermentation process. Not to mention the patience to do this. I'd really like to try it but seams to scientific for my brain. I'll have to do some research.
I was pretty intimidated by it at first as it role later to food safety. I've since learned their you follow some basic guidelines its as safe as can be. Reach out anytime with questions. There are plenty of us here doing sauces, pickles , kraut etc.

Reactions: hooked on smoke
Looking like a great start Jeff. You definitely have the pepper sauce fermenting going on buddy!! Keep up the great work. I love seeing all of these posts. gives me something to aspire to :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Heya jcam222 jcam222 do you put any onion or garlic in the ferment? I’m going to start my first batch, straight jalapeños as they are already hot hot as hell… I think they were fornicating with the habs and reapers…

Heya jcam222 jcam222 do you put any onion or garlic in the ferment? I’m going to start my first batch, straight jalapeños as they are already hot hot as hell… I think they were fornicating with the habs and reapers…
Both my buddies jalapenos were smoking hot this year. I have not added garlic or onion in my sauce ferments yet. I add those flavors after. I may experiment a bit this winter.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky