tongue and cheek barbacoa question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tc fish bum

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
every year we do a theme meal on the 4th for 30-100 people. this year its" tongue and cheek" tacos. i know right. anyhoo were gonna do a carnitas pork shoulder- yawn. done a million. Butttttt, i was thinking of skinning the tongues rubbing them with barbacoa seasoning and smoking cheeks and tongues togeather till tender. can it be done? maybe a beer braise after a good smoke? gonna do 10 tongues and 10 cheeks. should be fun will post picks when done. any advise would be appreciated.

A loooooooooong time ago I personally cooked about a 2 pound tongue in the oven.  It came out great!

I sliced open the top of the tongue, seasoned in and all around, wrapped in foil with a little water and cooked in the oven until the meat fell apart.  Made tacos with it :)

I think it can all be cooked well I just don't have the input for you.  I think you will have an awesome cookout should it all cook well! 

update; my mexican buddy from durango (durango, mexico ) gave me some great advise. after smoking, braise the carnitas with a little adobe and the tongues and cheeks with a little mole. dang if that dont sound good.

Is the pink color smoke ring? They almost look medium rare but you said you cooked them to 200. Is that the color when cooked to 200?

Yes 200 or a bit north is correct, the pink is just smoke ring.. the cheek is a working muscle and need a long time to break down all that connective tissue

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky