Belly curing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

theyankeesmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2017
Fairfield, CT
I'm curing two belly slabs for bacon, dry curing. Been flipping each day.

Normally, I do 5 or 6 lbs, and it's ready after day 5 or 6.. but I'm curing a 13lb one and an 8lb one. In the past, the belly would be firm. But im on day 9 now and the belly has firmed up, but not as firm as in the past. Still good to smoke? Or does firmness matter?

I'm very new to making bacon, but from what I've read, I think you're good to smoke. I have done a dry cured belly and never flipped it. Only bacon I've flipped was my first try and it was bagged...

I'm curing two belly slabs for bacon, dry curing. Been flipping each day.

Normally, I do 5 or 6 lbs, and it's ready after day 5 or 6.. but I'm curing a 13lb one and an 8lb one. In the past, the belly would be firm. But im on day 9 now and the belly has firmed up, but not as firm as in the past. Still good to smoke? Or does firmness matter?
You are fine to smoke. 10 days is my minimum in cure but 14 days is my preferred time, this is just for flavor development. How thick is the thickest part of each belly?

You are fine to smoke. 10 days is my minimum in cure but 14 days is my preferred time, this is just for flavor development. How thick is the thickest part of each belly?
Great question. About 1.5inch. Thickest part slightly over that. I've always done a day each 1/4". By that measurement I'm good to go as of today. But wanted to hear everyone else's thoughts

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky