Santa Has Come...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...thanks to all of you enablers...🤣

20231129_140933[1].jpg

20231129_145957[1].jpg

I can't wait to put this thing to use, but first I have a couple of questions. What food grade lubricant are y'all using? I was thinking just cooking oil. What other plate(s) do y'all recommend besides the 2 that came with it? I'm sure as I dive into this more, I'll have some more questions. Already researching and bookmarking fresh sausage recipes.

I'm not new to grinders and grinding, but it was either hamburger on a big commercial machine when I worked at Winn Dixie WAY, WAY back in the day or venison on a small one at the deer processing place I used back when I hunted and it was nowhere near as nice as this, wasn't taken care of very well, and smaller. There were 20-25 people using this facility so things weren't done to my liking, but that's another story...

Last edited:
Very nice. I have a LEM #8 and love it. Happy grinding!

I use food grade silicone oil for lube on most of my steel food processing equipment.

JC :emoji_cat:

Last edited:
Reactions: Gonna Smoke
You will enjoy that, I know I enjoy my LEM #8.

As for lube I just use Crisco shortening, not oil, the oil can build up a gummy residue over time, shortening won’t. This works great on plates and knives as well as the thrust washer and bearing surface of the nylon bushing at the rear of the auger, btw, this is really the most important lube spot as well.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I've bookmarked that one,
Charles , breakfast sausage in bulk is a great starter base for other sausage . I add fennel or anise and use it on pizza .
Good start for a brat burger too . White pepper and nutmeg .

Happy grinding
...thanks to all of you enablers...🤣
I can't wait to put this thing to use, but first I have a couple of questions. What food grade lubricant are y'all using? I was thinking just cooking oil. What other plate(s) do y'all recommend besides the 2 that came with it? I'm sure as I dive into this more, I'll have some more questions. Already researching and bookmarking fresh sausage recipes.
If you're looking for sausages then the 6mm plate is a good option.
Once you get into it then add the 3mm plate for finer textured product.
You will enjoy that, I know I enjoy my LEM #8.

As for lube I just use Crisco shortening, not oil, the oil can build up a gummy residue over time, shortening won’t. This works great on plates and knives as well as the thrust washer and bearing surface of the nylon bushing at the rear of the auger, btw, this is really the most important lube spot as well.
I worked for a bee keeper many years ago. During extracting season the uncapper bushings and bearings, conveyor chain sprockets and idlers were all lubed with shortening as they were in direct contact with the honey and wax. It came in a grease gun tube.
The bearings outside of direct contact used an approved petroleum based lube.

I've got one sitting under the Xmas tree Charles, just waiting for the birthday of the baby Jesus to arrive. I just sold my 1hp Cabelas grinder, meat mixer, and motorized sausage stuffer on CL, all too heavy to deal with after shoulder surgery. Are you going to get a dedicated stuffer? I'm waiting until I can see what kind of job the grinder does stuffing before ordering anything else. Watching, enjoy! RAY

I've got one sitting under the Xmas tree Charles, just waiting for the birthday of the baby Jesus to arrive. I just sold my 1hp Cabelas grinder, meat mixer, and motorized sausage stuffer on CL, all too heavy to deal with after shoulder surgery. Are you going to get a dedicated stuffer? I'm waiting until I can see what kind of job the grinder does stuffing before ordering anything else. Watching, enjoy! RAY
After reading so much about this, my plan is to eventually buy a dedicated stuffer. Also thinking about the cuber attachment, but it's out of stock until late February next year. Kind of pricy, but if it works, way cheaper than a Hobart.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Speaking of the cuber attachment, anyone here got real world experience with it?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky