Restaurant search

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The Friedrich is working well and the service dept for parts is fantastic and they respond very quickly <for parts> .. Funny thing I called the company and did ask about the 3 racks when I ordered some replacement parts they told me it could be done. As far as the 1/2 chickens I cook 3lbs birds and cut them to order they seem to say moist longer and hold up better. The only thing I would change on is would be to add a foot peddle so I could keep both hands free, Other than that this is a great smoker.

Joe

I have a quick question...I've always wondered how barbecue joints (using smoke) decide how much food to smoke every morning... You'd think there would be constant surplus or shortages...How do you determine how much to prepare and what do you do with the left overs to maintain freshness and flavour for the next day??

It's Barbeque, If we run out, We run out. If we have a surplus we have a luchbox special the next day. For example: Pulling the meat from the bones and roughly chopping the meat, add your favorite sauce and resmoke the rib meat. Pile it high on a roll sell it as a lunch box special and you have a use for your surplus. Or you could take the meat and put it in the dirty rice. As for smoked chciken you can make smoked chicken salad, chicken pot pie or use it ontop of a green salad. Right now we smoke 30lbs of ribs per day and usually have little left over. Business is slow not only for us but many other restaurants in the area. I'm hoping it will pick up some soon. Lastnight we had a Sam Adams beer rep in buying beer for customers who purchased a dinner, Our apptizers were 1/2 off. Just trying to get folks in the door to try the food. Another question is this and how do you hold the ribs after they are smoked? I'm not going to give you this answer it's my trade secret but something to think about. I also know what we do for lunch as far as a customer base and plan for that. I do 2 smokes per day plus an all nighter for the brisket and pulled pork.

Joe

Heya, Joe!

The doldrums will be short lived! One thing I learned from slow times is how to plan. Period! Plan is the key. When the place goes nuts you will have it all under control and your bottom line will be cool!

What is your customer mix so far? Younger, older, any ethnic clues? have you established solid regulars or are you still looking for the solid base?

Hope all is well with you and yours and that y'all are enjoying good health!

Cheers!

Hi Monty,
We've been planning and always looking for new ideas. We had a Sam Adams night the rep was buying a beer for each dinner that was ordered and you got to keep the mug. <we had 57 guests that night> We do have regulars and lot's of new folks as well. the customer mix so far is 6 years old to 80 years old, as far as the ethnic mix we have a good mix. We are looking to do a Harpoon beer night and a Budwieser night as well. Seems that the redsox games, the patriots and the charles river regatta has the peoples interest right now. We do have a tv with HD but the folks don't want to leave thier homes. On the other not we do alot of takeout and start delivery next month. As I mensioned in my last post we do have lunch specials. I have the morning off ... kind of ... have to run errands and do the ordering today. Have a great day.

Joe

Hey Joe:

Just checking in with ya and see how our favorite Boston Q place is doing?

Geez, Joe!

Been so tied up in my own stuff I have neglected to stay in touch!

Can you find it in your heart to forgive me?
icon_smile.gif

Seriously, first of all I hope that you and yours are all well and happy. And, of course, that Smoken' Joe's is blasting off into the success galaxy.

Cheers!

Hi Everyone,
Sorry it's taking so long to respond. I've been busy as all get out. Last sunday one of our waitresses broke her hand <not on the job> and couldn't work this past week and our other waitress was in Ca. So I had to be the waiter and also run the kitchen during the day. I made it through the week and what a week it was. We were jambed packed all day yesterday and all night lastnight. We ran out of brisket at 10pm, Good thing I smoked off alot of ribs, pulled pork, chickens and so on. WOW what a night. When I left lastnight 1 hour before closing <we close at 11 for now> People were still comming in. The guests we had over the weekend were fantastic, they love the place, food as well. There wasn't an empty seat in the house. here is the latest review on Yelp.

11/08/2007
Going from best to worse, I have to say this joint is better than Blue Ribbon (Great Sides), Redbones (Cooked just right), Tennessee (Good sauce), Village Smokehouse (large portions), and Firefly (Yuk!) because it combines the best of Blue, Red, Ten, and the Village.

I personally like having a choice of sauces and this place has lots to choose from, my personally favorite is the North Carolina Mustard which is nice to see amidst common tomato based sauces. This mustard could have used some more vinegar to balance the delicious fatty cuts of meat, but the best I've had since I was stationed at Fort Bragg with the 82nd Airborne.

Joe's had lots of sides, everything is good except the Mac and Cheese Not enough cheese and no bread topping =(. The collard greens were excellent with a touch of bacon to sweeten the leaves. The cornbread was moist with a good amount texture from the cornmeal.
Sweet potato fries a great alternative to regular spuds.
The ribs were perfectly dry rubbed to allow for a crisp outer crust. The ribs had a little chew to them, meaning the meat doesn't just fall off the bone, which to me is the way all BBQ should be...a little tug and off it comes....ummmmm. The chicken was average nothing to special to report other than it was still moist after a 2 hour spit roasting sauna. And the pulled pork had the perfect amount of tang and smoky flavor.

This is the cleanest BBQ joint I have ever been to and my girlfriend said the bathroom was spotless. It says a lot about a place when they dare to have white floors in the bathroom, Brass balls!

The only downfall, the waitress (Greta) <who is new> was sooooooo slooooooow. She didn't even come by to ask if we needed second drinks or anything else before handing me our check an hour into our meal. At least she was friendly and smiled.

Prices were fair, I have the Smoken' Joe Sampler, Chicken, ribs, pulled pork, cornbread, and 2 sides for 19 bucks. I have enough leftover for lunch tomorrow so I guess you could say the cost was 9.50 a meal, not bad.

Also, they get their desserts from Petsi's Pie in Somerville, whom makes excellent southern sweet potato pie and pecan pies!

A definite return visit!!! Good job Joe.

Great review Joe. glad to hear things are going so well.

Sounds like you are wow-ing the locals and getting good reviews to boot!

Glad things seem to be swinging your way after all the headaches of getting started.

Looks like you are headed for the bigtime, Joe!

Excellent review! And the reviewer is knowledgable and thorough. A bathroom compliment is of the highest order. Your food might be super and the place delightfully appointed but if your bathroom is not clean people get turned off and wondering what the back of the house looks like.

My tough season is already starting with some icy roads and very cold temps. I am going to smoke 20 lbs of Canadian Bacon this morning. So far the temp outside is hovering at 25F. It will be interesting but I still have yard work and stuff to do outside so I will be able to hover over the GOSM and mind the temp.

Once again, KUDOS on an excellent and well planned startup. Your success is assured! When is the book coming out? Will it have some of your recipes?
icon_lol.gif

Cheers!

Wow Joe! ... great review, the only negative was about mac'n'cheese ... not too big a deal!
Sounds like a great menu ... perhaps you can show us a copy of it on a .pdf file or something?
You are a bit far away for me to visit, but I'll find an excuse some day!
Congratulations man!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

You are enjoying a good day, Paul! It has warmed up to 35F and the NW wind is fairly steady at 9mph with gusts to 15. GOSM is holding steady temp and the thin blue is doing its thing!

Cheers!

I have my CCSV parked in my garden shed that faces south with winds ... yes .... you guessed it ... south!
At 17 gusting 23 MPH ... fortunately there are enough buildings to shield me somewhat.
One of my 'overstuffed' fatty s partially unrolled ... guess I'll eat it anyways .......
biggrin.gif

UPDATED: We went in for our hearing for live entertainment today <live blues> We got there at 9:30 and soon after we were called. What we had to do was have the building rezoned for live music. We won and approved are now approved for LIVE music. <how cool is that>? So the next step is to file the application for live music <so much RED TAPE> and more than likely we'll have to do all the inspections all over again. In any case we had lots of support from the neighborhood and other businesses. It's good to get to know the other owners of restaurants in the area. Also show some local community support. To make a long story short is that we got the approval!! The wife and I took the rest of the day off and SLEPT! We are thinking of doing a Thanksgiving dinner ... smoked turkey ... we're just working on that now ..

Thanks for the support !!!

Yours in Smoking,

Smoken' Joe

Wow Joe, that is all just too cool... I am so happy for you! I still plan on getting up there... hopefully when you have blues with your 'Q... I love me some blues and of course, 'Q!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

FREAKIN' AWSOME!

Great news, Joe!

With so many of us giving our support to your effort the Universe has no choice but to make it all happen happy!

We will NOT let up!

God Bless
and
Cheers!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky