Restaurant search

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
more like pagans,celts,vikings, not white witches but we pay homage to the beer(& jello shot) gods,the lords of the thin blue,and a general excuse to bang drums, wear kilts, be silly, & have that extra hour to party that 1 day of the year.... you will love this debi. plus i plan to have my beer ready for christening by then- i'm going w/ the blue glass grolsch ceramic top pint bottles -calling it "fussy butt ale" after my daughter.. lol- should keep the mooches away.

Been awhile since we've heard how the BBQ biz is doing... I hope everything's okay!
cool.gif

Hi Guy's and Ladies, It's been slower than usual. I hear that August and the first few weeks in September are slow due to people comming back from vacation, school is starting up again and the heat hasn't helped much. We are holding our own and paying the bills. We did have an influx of college kids move into the neighborhood over the long weekend. Lets see, we sell about 240 lbs of ribs, 140 lbs of brisket and about the same for pulled pork sammies <140 lbs>. Today we are installing a television so folks can come in and watch the games <Football and Baseball>. So just waiting for the weather to cool some and the folks to settle back into thier routine after the summer. We are also planning on opening 7 days a week <closed now on Mondays> Hopefully next monday for Monday night football. Today I have to do an inventory list and have my order in by 4pm for a delivery tomorrow so it's going to be a busy day. We usually place an order twice a week. So all and all we doing ok for a place that has just opened 10 weeks ago. Thanks for asking and Hope all is well with you and yours.

Joe

It would be a pleasure to meet you .. I would give you a tour as well. Everyone here is like family to me so when you do come up expect to be treated like family.. :)

Joe

Joe,

glad to see things are going well. Looks like my Indians may well be going up against the Red Sox in the play offs. Would love to get tix and come by for the best bbq in the north east.

can ya do a beer & rib special feasibly fer pats games ???? or just a keg beer while the pats play until it's gone & throw out some wings ... ya may lose fer 1 or 2 days but i bet ya pull it off.... if ya wanna pm me i can give ya some tried & true low cost ideas fer game days.

Heya, Joe!

Good to see that things have calmed down a bit. Now is the time to start tweaking and fine tuning your draw. Your location is excellent!. Perhaps you could have your staff sorta quiz the patrons on likes, dislikes and what would get them back there. Just a thought. Instead of a general, "How is your meal?" they could ask,"What do you like most about the place? And how can we make your next visit better?"

It might surprise you to see what your staff will bring back.

Looks like I am teaching right through the first two weeks of October so that definitely shoots Columbus Day weekend as a target. And I came to Vermont to relax! Yeesh!

Take care and keep at it! I will visit soon!

Cheers!

Hey Joe:

Really glad to hear things are going well. I don't know if you gave it any thought but you might want to try and advertise some in the local college newspapers, ad space is cheap and a lot of the kids who go to school in Boston have some extra change to spend.

Looking forward to come visiting one day, just gotta figure out when.

I'm not the only restaurant that's slow. I've been talking to the suppliers and they tell me that this is the time of year that restarants slow down some because of the transistion from the end of summer and school starts. But, It's picking up some and we got a flat screen tv to watch the games. Oh and we had a dinner guest there lastnight He played for the Boston Celtics in the late 70's .... I got my picture taken with him also .. He loved the food and said he'll be telling his friends and passing the word around. He also said that he wants to reserve the table when he comes in to eat. His was #30 for the Celtics .. OK ok ... It was M.L. Carr .. He loved the food and said "He will be back and wants the same table" and it just so happend that my Wfe Wendy was there and she just happend to have her camera and took a few pics of me with him as well as with my son and myself. He's a gracious man, A true gentleman, He went around to a few tables and asked how they enjoyed the food. So it made thier nights as well... So, we've had our fist celeberity in the house and he and his guest LOVED the food.

Joe

I'll post it when the wife downlaods it. What's cool is ML Carr went around to a few tables and asked them if they enjoyed the food. So, They may tell folks that they met ML Carr at "Smoken' Joe's Barbeque" and he shook thier hands.. This may be a huge BOOST for the restaurant. I'm jazzed .. Opps one sec. My wife is uploading the pic now ..

Joe

Joe, sounds like you got the start of your Celeb Picture wall. Get that pic done up as 8X10 and ask ML to autogragh it the next time he comes in.

Joe here is some info on ML Carr.

Michael Leon Carr (born January 9, 1951 in Wallace, North Carolina) is an American former professional basketball player in the National Basketball Association and American Basketball Association, and former head coach and General Manager of the Boston Celtics. He coached the Celtics for two seasons, posting a career record of 48 wins and 116 losses. He currently resides in Marstons Mills, Massachusetts

Playing career

After graduating from Guilford College, Carr was selected by the Kentucky Colonels of the ABA with the 7th pick of the 5th round of the 1973 NBA Draft. However, he did not play due to injury, and was subsequently released. The following season, Carr played in Israel for the Israel Sabers in the European Pro Basketball league. For leading his team to the championship, leading the league in scoring, and emerging second in rebounding, he was named Most Valuable Player.
During the 1975-76 NBA season, Carr played for the Spirits of St. Louis in the ABA, averaging 12.2 points and 6.2 rebounds per game, and was named to the ABA's All-Rookie Team. He then joined the NBA, playing for the Detroit Pistons from 1976–79 and the Celtics from 1979–85. He averaged 9.7 points and 4.3 rebounds per game during his NBA career, while being selected to the All-Defense second team during the 1979 season after leading the league in steals.

Coaching career

Carr later became the General Manager of the Celtics in 1994. He later took over as coach for the 1995-96 and 1996-97 seasons. In his last year as coach, the Celtics had the worst record in team history, winning just 15 games and losing 67, and was replaced as coach at the end of season by Rick Pitino. After the 1997 season, he became the Celtics' Director of Corporate Development.
Carr later became president of the WNBA's Charlotte Sting as part of a failed attempt to become the owner of an expansion NBA team in Charlotte, along with Steve Belkin and former teammate Larry Bird. He is now an investor in the Charlotte Bobcats.

Geez, Joe! Maybe you will be Boston's next celeb gathering spot!

Happy to hear of your wonderful experience with M.L. Carr! From my daze down there I remember him just as you describe him....a true gentleman! Never met him personally but I know others who have been near him and the story is the same!

Glad to hear all else is well! If things are about the same as they were thirty plus years ago when I ran a restaurant just north of Boston you will see a sharp rise in business within two weeks!

Keep us posted!

Lotsa Luck!

and

Cheers!

Joe,

Sounds like things are going pretty good, just wanted to check that the Friedrich was working out well for you.

Don't know if I mentioned it but the company now makes racks that will increase the capacity for ribs and chicken. Three racks per spindle rather than the standard two.

I used them for an event that required non-stop chicken dinners and it allowed me to fit 144 halves per cook cycle rather than the 96 yours holds now. It will also help with fitting more ribs in the smoker.

Any complaints? comments? Nows your chance because they're still working on a new model and want feedback from Friedrich owners.

Also, if you're happy about the smoker or some of it's features, we want to hear that too. We're looking for some testimonials for the National Barbecue Association conference in February, and we'd also like to start a cookbook totally put together by Friedrich owners. We of course will credit the recipe and list the restaurant.

Any interest? Please don't hesitate to ask for help with any smoker issues. The company wants us restaurant owners to be thrilled with it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky