Reheating pulled pork for a party

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron50

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2007
FL
I'm making a few pork butts today for the game Sunday which should be done some time late tonight.
After they are done and sit in the cooler for a few hours I was going to pull them and put them in a pan in the fridge to cool, then vacuum seal them and freeze them.

We are heading to a friend house about 6PM Sunday for a Super Bowl party. What's the best way to heat them so they are back up to temperature for the party?

We are only a 5 minute ride away from their place.

Thanks.

Since Sunday is only 3 days away, you can skip the freeze step. There are several threads on here on reheating. Depends if you have a SV, crock pot, roaster oven etc. All will work fine. I'd try and split the pork into several (5-10 containers/packages) spread out in order to cool quickly. 2 fridges or even an hour or two in the freezer may work. 3 butts will take a while to cool down. Enjoy the party.

If it was me. I’d pull them after the rest and vacuum seal it in bags, leave in the fridge and come game day out the bags in a pot of boiling water to reheat. Should take maybe 20 minutes if you have a big pot you can do all at once or do them in batches. Make a finishing sauce to add to them and save the juice from when you pull it mix it in as you open the bags and will taste just like it came off the smoker

If it was me. I’d pull them after the rest and vacuum seal it in bags, leave in the fridge and come game day out the bags in a pot of boiling water to reheat. Should take maybe 20 minutes if you have a big pot you can do all at once or do them in batches. Make a finishing sauce to add to them and save the juice from when you pull it mix it in as you open the bags and will taste just like it came off the smoker
Exactly what we do for church functions. Been doing it this way for years now.

I'm weird, so I'm told, I take the vac packed meat from the refrigerator, drop them into a pot, still in the vac bag, add water to cover, and then put the pot on a medium heat and let it come to a boil slowly.

Once the water begins to boil, I shut off the heat and let the bags sit for 30-45 minutes in the bag in the water.

Thanks for all the advice. I was concerned leaving the meat in the refrigerator for 3 days but it sounds like the way to go.

Reactions: 912smoker
3 days in the fridge is no problem as long as it was properly cool remember it's also smoked.
Heating in boiling water would be my way to go.

Warren

Reactions: gmc2003
I'd also skip freezing any you plan on using Sunday. I like to make sure I have plenty of liquid gold that I defat. On game day I go roaster pan and mix in the liquid gold. Always gets devoured. Honestly may be better this way than fresh.
This! Best and easiest way.

Hell I’ve done it on a stove top with beer, sauce..it’s all good. Dont freeze it for three days tho - just making it difficult.

Reactions: jcam222
I'm in the same boat. Smoking a butt today for the game tomorrow. What kinds of finishing sauces do you guys make and do you just mix that sauce in with the pulled meat before serving?

I'm in the same boat. Smoking a butt today for the game tomorrow. What kinds of finishing sauces do you guys make and do you just mix that sauce in with the pulled meat before serving?

JJ’s finishing sauce. (RIP)

I’ve used is since I found the recipe. And always got compliments. I’ll mix some in while I’m pulling the pork and leave a bottle out for people to add to it. I also make a hotter version which is pretty much the same but with a lot of cayenne.

JJ’s finishing sauce. (RIP)

I’ve used is since I found the recipe. And always got compliments. I’ll mix some in while I’m pulling the pork and leave a bottle out for people to add to it. I also make a hotter version which is pretty much the same but with a lot of cayenne.
Cool. So just add enough to keep the meat a little moist I assume?

I've been using this sauce recently on my PP sammies. I bought it by accident once and haven't looked back.
1707569901276.png

Chris

Reactions: Culinary Otter
Cool. So just add enough to keep the meat a little moist I assume?

Yeah it should still be pretty moist. But I’ll give it all a little splash, taste it, another splash and go from there. It’s really up to everyone’s preference depending on how much of the flavor you like.

I really like this finishing sauce.

Reactions: 801driver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky