Restaurant search

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Congratulations on your successful opening. I know your hard work is paying off, Best of Wishes for the Holidays!

Shellbellc, I know you haven't seen the pics the wife has taken because I don't see her as often as I use too and she is usually busy doing the books. The website should be completed this weekend and with any luck will be up by next week. btw, It's her camera and she carries the thing around with her .. <go figure>

Joe

Update: Things are on the upswing, business is picking up slowly and we have a stream of steady guest comming in weekly. The place is packed on weekend nights and we have people waiting inline for a table. These are not bad things :) Beer sales as well as BBQ sales are picking up. We're adding a ferw new items to the menu, one is andouille sausage with perhaps red beans and rice. On monday this monday comming we'll be doing a video of the place and the family as well to post online. I may be a people person but, doing a video.. sheesh .. I'm not a guy that likes to have his pic taken let alone do a video <another but here> but, I have to do this as the wife told me because I am after all "Smoken' Joe" Anyway as far as free time and a life, it looks like this place is that for now. Not a bad thing I really enjoy talking to and meeting new people. I have had a few offters from people who would want to work here free to learn my recipies <like that's going to happen> and one guy that wants me to pay him so I can teach him to bbq. Perhaps I should open a bbq class in my spare time <yea right> if I do have spare time it's usually spent sleeping .. laugh. stay tuned and be patient for the web site ..

Joe aka Smoken' Joe

Nice to hear from you Joe. Glad things are going well for your business.

glad you're on the up swing! Sounds like word is getting out...wait until spring when people really start getting out in the nice weather!

Heya, Brother!

Looks like you have hit the point of no return.

Remember my posts and PMs from long ago? I had a feeling that first of all, given location, timing and general food biz your operation would be a go. My confidence in this venture was further strengthened by your resilience and abiity to cope with all the nitty gritty and the politics as well.

Well, my friend, you are making it happen. I am proud of you and more than just for opening a restaurant. You identified a dream, you made a plan and you followed that plan to bring your dream to fruition. But more than that....now that your dream is real you are seeking ways to make it better, to enhance the experience.

This goes a long way past making a buck (as helpful as it can be). You, with your family's intense support, have realized a dream that, even though producing, must continue to evolve.

So, since you are not sitting on your butt waiting for success it will come to you in ways you never dreamed possible!

See you soon!
Cheers!

Wow Monty, what can I say? You left me somewhat tongue tied. We have our website up and running "Smokenjoesbbq.com" and this sunday March 2nd is our 1st Gospel Brunch. We also did a video staring me <I resisted butt he wife always gets her way> That's being edited and should be up soon. We are seeking cooks at this point and hired a new waitress. Oh yea, On tuesday we are having "Harpoon Night" the brewery sends in a rep and we planned the event for tuesday March 4th and it includes 1/2 price wings. So as you can see, Lots of happenings going on.
Also check out "Citysquares.com" they have a few pics and our logo. Time to get cracking, Have a good one and hope to see you soon. I'll buy you a beer and give you the grand tour of the place.

Yours in Smoking,

Smoken' Joe

The new page is up as well as "That Video" .. Also a video of our last gospel brunch that Shirley Lewis performed. You can see it at Smokenjoesbbq.com Happy smoken and hope everyone is well ..

Joe

Excellent website ... easy and informative to navigate. Hope I can find an excuse to visit from Ontario sometime soon!
All the things I love ... BBQ ... beer ... and the Blues!
icon_wink.gif

Joe,

Congratualations and hats off. I am new to SMF and when I saw this thread a couple of weeks ago I didn't notice the length or dates. Stumbled across it again tonight and realized it started 2 years ago. I have been sitting here for almost 2 hours reading the whole thing (with some interuptions). I have always wanted to open a restaurant but with a wife and three little ones haven't seen the right opportunity. I was pulling for you like a character in a novel. I admire you and your family and all you went through. Best wishes for the future. One question, what ever happened with the contractor who was going to sue you over the pipe cleaning (maybe I missed it). I was getting mad reading that, I hope justice prevailed for you.

P.S. Website is great. Loved getting to see the menu.

Thanks for the feedback, I see you noticed the alabama white sauce too .. Well Bert, I prevailed in the lawsuit. We were willing to drop our case if they dropped thiers. The judge ruled in our favor but, I still had to replace the duct work in the end. This sunday will be our 3rd brunch and next week starting the 21st we start live music on fridays and saturday evenings. We had to have the building rezoned for live entertainment <what a bunch of red tape that was> But, it's changed and we got the license. Business if going well even though it's lent <no meat on fridays for some> so kinda slow tonight .. I figure in 2 weeks we'll be busy as all get out. Thanks again and it does read like a novel at times but I think if anyone plans to open a joint and they read this forum they can an idea of what goes on behind the sceens and what to expect.

Yours in Smoken'

Joe

Update!! After a long haul of having to rezone the building and reapply for the entertainment license and we finally got it! This past friday and lastnight <saturday> was our 1st evening with live blues and it went great. We filled the place <twice>. This hasn't been tried before in this neighborhood ever and we are the first to do so. The folks that came really enjoyed themselves. This has always been in our plans to have bbq, blues and beer. so right now we are 3 for 3. We do have one more thing that we want to do but that is a secret and is going to take some time and I'll let you know when is starts. It's been a long road but we stayed focused on our dreams, followed the rules and put up with alot of <can I say crap here>? laugh. I'm kinda beat and today I have a full day off <my 1st since new years day> and I do over 100 hours a week <it's not easy> but worth it when you see your dreams materialize. Kinda like smoking meats .. low and slow and lots of patience. well, I going to have some coffee and enjoy this Easter Sunday and hope everyone have a fantastic day. Oh we do have a video or 2 on the website "Smokenjoesbbq.com" as well as some reviews..

Yours in Smoken,

Smoken' Joe

Joe thanks for the reply the other day in a different thread and you advised me to read this, thanks! I had no freakin' idea what you went through to get where you are now, CONRATS. I read every page of this and it is unreal what torture the government put you through. You are a trooper and after owning a rib joint years ago for 8 years I know I didn't have any hassels like you did. I really respect your determination and dedication to live your dream.

If I do my dream I am going to keep it simple and hopefully make enough dough to pay the bills and put a few $ in my pocket for a rainy day.

Good luck forever you earned it and deserve it.

Hi Ron,
I don't get to come online as often as I would like to. I'm working somewhere between 106 to 108 hours per week. It's been a battle to say the least but we are getting great reviews and lot's of cool and interesting folks are comming in. Right now the restaurant biz for the most part is slowing down for some. In our case it's picking up a bit. I did a Jack Daniels catered event for 500 people, another event for MIT for 70 people and now I'm looking at another event for this comming week for 350 people. Have you ever heard of people making reservations at a bbq joint? Well we have been taking them. Just had one yesterday for 20 people. Anyway, this is what I told my son "If your in it for the money it's not going to happen overnight, Also success is earned and not given, Success is also not for the weak, you have to earn it, That means when things seem to be at thier worst you stay focused and keep going forward. You'll trip and fall and you have to brush off your knees and keep moving and don't look back. Another thing is never and I mean never have a false sence of security and say "gee I made it and now I can relax and sit back." I think this is why most restaurants or businesses fail in the 1st year. Anyway, I hope this posting I started sometime ago has helped you out some, maybe answered a few questions and so on. Keep in touch and if I can help you out let me know.

Joe a/k/a Smoken' Joe

Thanks for your time Joe, I know you are a busy peerson.

I had a big joint with fine dinning 80 seats, 40 stool bar, never again. In northern Wisconsin we had only one season for business, summer. A few weeks in October, one in November, deer season, one at xmas snowmobiling, then a long hard winter. Population 3,000 some nights did not serve a customer. Don't know how I sutrvived so long.

It was in Minocqua Wisconsin. Phillips On The Lake (The Place For Ribs).
One sense of accomplishment for me is Bon Appetit published my sauce recipe in their hard coverd book, (Beef, Lamb, Veal and Pork) in 1984.

Thanks again!

Well, Joe,
After reading the entire saga over the past few weeks, (Started back to front, then the middle, the beginning, and back to the end again) I feel like a close personal friend Well, I swore I would never get sucked into another forum where I spent all my waking hours keeping up with everyone's wonderful posts, but here I am: My first post.
Mainly to tell you how wonderful your tale is, and how disappointed I am with the Q joints here in CT right now (the one I went to tonight, Cookhouse in East Hartford changed their menu, dropped a whole lot of good stuff like slow roasted smoked Prime Rib sandwiches, Cajun Popcorn, Fried Okra and so much more- not to mention the Abita beer they haven't had since Katrina) I am trying to think of an excuse to come to Boston!

Well, lo and behold, I'm working diligently today, when my boss's boss comes in to tell me he is sending my boss up to Cambridge to borrow some equipment from one of our other offices for me. I was on a conference bridge for over three hours today, and couldn't get off to find out if he was going today, much less give him a handful of bills to pick me up some good pulled pork or brisket! By the time I could call him, he was already in Cambridge. Boo, hiss! No Que for me! (and I'd have bought him a batch too!)

BUT! All is not lost! This item is only borrowed. We still have to return it to Bent St in Cambridge next week! Why, By MY reckoning, that's only about 15 minutes away!

So if someone comes in for a bunch of take-out for CT next Wednesday or Thursday and says Karie sent them, you'll know that your saga got you another customer!

And I agree with the fellow who said it read like a novel. I searched high and low for it (thought I had it bookmarked) after my PC did a restart on me and I lost it! (since it is no longer a sticky!

Congratulations, and don't let your Barbie Que (wife) go. She's a keeper!

BTW, I suddenly have a hankering to buy my first smoker. It never seemed practical before. But I come from a family where my mother's uncle actually willed his Carolina BBQ recipe to my dad! And I, in turn, have that wonderful recipe! And my Bro-in-law smoked a shoulder and shipped it up to me from Georgia! So I have been looking. Maybe I'll hit Cabela's Saturday, Any suggestions for a newbie? My search for a home smoker several weeks ago is how I found this site!

It's good to know where a Southern girl can get good eatin' Even if I DO have to go to Boston for it!
Now if I could just find a place that makes decent grits... Or any grits at all!

Karie,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky