"REAL" Basque Chorizo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for all the kind words!

My sons have been using this chorizo in everything: mixed with eggs, sliced & tossed in mac n' cheese, in black bean soup.

The chorizo really added a nice touch to the paella my wife made last Friday! Not overly hot, but the peppery-garlic flavor really was great!

I've had a few requests from folks for this recipe—or at least MY estimations of the amounts—so here they are. For a guideline, I used some of the amounts listed in Bruce Aidell's "Complete Sausage Book" but since some of the ingredients in THIS version were a bit different, I adjusted accordingly.

Country Basque Chorizo

makes SIX pounds

Ingredients: 

5 lbs. pork butt/shoulder

1.0 lb. beef chuck 

1/2 Cup (126g) Sweet Spanish paprika (or Hungarian

1/2 Cup (128g) Choricero Pepper puree

1 Tbl (10g) Espelette Pepper powder (more for added heat)

1 Cup fresh minced garlic

6 Tbsp dry red wine

20g sugar

44g kosher salt

11g coarsely ground black pepper (tellacherry preferred)

Pinch of ground clove or allspice

1&1/4 tsp Cure#1 (pink salt, dissolved in ¼ cup water) 

30-32mm hog casings

Directions:

Grind pork and beef through a 3/8” plate. 

Combine ground meat with all ingredients.

Let stand overnight in refrigerator.

Stuff the next day. Hang links to dry at room temperature for one hour (or hang in smoker @120° with no smoke for 45-60minutes) until exterior is dry to touch). Add smoke. Well-seasoned sausage can take hardier-flavored woods so use personal preference. 

After sausage has dried, increase the heat to 130-140 degrees F, and apply 2-3 hours of smoke. Continue raising temp over the course of the next 4-6 hours (top out @170°) until the desired IT (155°) is reached. Plunk ‘em in ice-bath & let them bloom for a hour or so before refrigerating. Refrigerate or freeze for longer storage.

————————————

That's pretty much it. Next time I'll add more of the espelette powder for more kick.' 

—Kevin

7bd83af8_basque_chor.jpg

Last edited:
Kevin-great recipe and nice pictures. This is definitely going into my "sausage to do" list!.

Thanks for the recipe - Man those really came out nice 

That'd be great if I knew how to "copy and past". I'm better at smokin' than I am computers.
Move your cursor to the area you want to copy.   Left click and hold while you mouse over the area you want to copy.  The selection should be highlighted (usually in blue).  After you have selected, release your left click,   right click and select "Copy".      Then open Word (or whichever word processing program you use),    Right click again,   select "Paste".     Your selection should appear on your document.    

Cougar78 where can I buy the Choricero paste and the D'Esplette powder. I live in the SF Bay Area and would love to make this sausage.
Hi Uzed

I found them online at several online stores:

In California— http://www.laespanolameats.com

In NY: http://despananyc.com

and this place...

https://www.simplygourmand.com

Did I already say this chorizo goes great in paella?

Let me repeat myself: THIS STUFF GOES GREAT in PAELLA!

I made two batches: one with shellfish (mussels, clams & shrimp), the other without. Both had the chorizo, serrano ham & chicken; added to short-grain spanish rice, olive oil, splash of dry white wine, artichoke hearts, piquillo peppers, peas, onions, garlic, saffron, smoked paprika & spices. The chorizo adds a nice smokiness (along with the paprika) and a nice garlicy kick.

Here's the one sans-shellfish. Next investment: BIGGER Paella pans!

868fa243_Paella_sml.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot.  Just placed an order for both and will be making the great looking sausage as soon as they arrive and I have time.

I used to buy some great Basque sausage at a meat smoking place in Susanville, CA where two old guys had been smoking meat for years.  Haven't been that way in a while, but always wanted to find a good recipe to try and make my own. Thanks again. That Paella looks great as well.

I just cannot wait to see the final product and review of how it taste. It is a good way to start making these sausages.  Can you tell us the recipe of your spice blend? It's pretty hard to figure out the specifics on what you have done by taking a picture of the spices you have used for this recipe.

Do you sell them??  if so where?

Casey
Casey, Welcome to SMF. Cougar is a long time member and a resident Sausage Guru but as far as I know, has not gone into the Sausage business. Cougar has posted the Recipe and details on how it's made. This is not hard but takes some technique and equipment that we can help you with. If interested, do some reading, in our Sausage Forum, on making sausage and start asking questions. Good Luck and stop by Roll Call and give us some info on yourself, experience, equipment you have and your ambitions...JJ

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky