Old time smoke house

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shanejeans

Original poster
Sep 20, 2016
Still getting logs together.i want a big smoke house.i was thinking 8 x8 but I walked by a deer stand that was 8x 8 you could hang couple of cows in there. May be to big.whats a good size.

Where are you out of shanejeans? If it's a climate where you get a good amount of time between say 40 and 60, going bigger like that might be good because you can dry in it and maybe ferment if humidity is right... also, the old smoke houses were huge and they literally had a small fire in the middle of the room and it didn't overly heat the room for cold smoking... if you don't go big, you need a remote pit or stove.

I would love an old big smokehouse, but I'm in South Texas so I have an old grill that I use an AMNPS (new buy) and and ice pan... I would say it depends on what you want to do and climate.

8x8 is huge but awesome... 4x4 is likely bigger than most people would ever use that want a smoke house almost need a remote stove (or a smoke generator) if don't plan on drying or aging... something cabinet sized like 2x4 is plenty to do 2-3 hams at a time again with a remote stove or a smoke generator

Last edited:
texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a nice day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

On our family homestead in Alaska, we had an old smoke house that was roughly the size of an outhouse (maybe 3x3 footprint, 7-8 feet tall), where we could smoke mass amounts of salmon.  We'd hang it in strips, and you could fit a LOT in there.  But obviously it would depend on what you're planning to use it for!  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky