New Grinder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Okie, thanks for the info; that's incredibly helpful.

It's just me and my wife and we ain't grinding up any wild animals. Just a roast here and there for burgers, some sausages, and absolutely some jerky every couple of weeks.

I didn't want to buy more machine than I needed but the diff between the #8 and your #5 is only $50 bucks...

Now I'm wondering about their Mighty Bite #8 for $100 bucks less than your #5.

Man, I hate this game.... 🙃

Murph
I hate it too... I'm always hesitant to pull the trigger on items like this. I was looking at the #12 but settled on the #8. Glad I did as it will do all I ever need. I'd go with the #8 if its only $50. Its a stout quality piece of equipment.

Okie, thanks for the info; that's incredibly helpful.

It's just me and my wife and we ain't grinding up any wild animals. Just a roast here and there for burgers, some sausages, and absolutely some jerky every couple of weeks.

I didn't want to buy more machine than I needed but the diff between the #8 and your #5 is only $50 bucks...

Now I'm wondering about their Mighty Bite #8 for $100 bucks less than your #5.

Man, I hate this game.... 🙃

Murph

When I bought mine, there was more of a price difference. Go big or go home in this case. ;-)

I have a #5 Weston and I find it more than adequate for what I need. I can only imagine how fast I'd have to be to dump in enough meat to keep up with an 8!
I picked up a Weston #8 a month ago. Combining sale price and gift card, It cost me $35 so a no brainer. I've only put 1 pork butt through it and it took me longer to wash than the grind.

Side note, always grind a pork butt twice to chew up the connective tissue for a better mix.

Reactions: nlife
I picked up a Weston #8 a month ago. Combining sale price and gift card, It cost me $35 so a no brainer. I've only put 1 pork butt through it and it took me longer to wash than the grind.

Side note, always grind a pork butt twice to chew up the connective tissue for a better mix.
Did you look at the dual grind option? I think they now offer it.

Did you look at the dual grind option? I think they now offer it.
Honestly, the extra dollars for a dual grind isn't for me.
Double grinding gives you the advantage to grind once, mix and blend spices, and rest overnight. Grind again after chilling to further the mix.
I have the 8# Weston home use grade. They also make an 8# pro grade and the parts (plates, etc.) aren't interchangeable so make sure it fits the one you have.
Thanks Doug. I am planning to get extra knives to match up to the plates.
Dummy me, I thought #8 was #8.

Wow! This is all such helpful information. Thanks to everyone for jumping in.

Fuelng Around was talking about not spending some extra amount of money to tier up to the next level.

I've talked myself into spending $250 for a decent entry-level grinder. The LEM MightyBite #8 or something in that price range. I would talk myself into going an extra $150 and spring for a $400 model as insurance against that "Gee, I wish I knew then what I know now" feeling. I think I hate that feeling more than I hate spending an extra 60%.

An extra 60%... Egads! When I say it like that...

Where do you draw the line on your own upgrade percentage? You know, as far as hitting a wish list item?

Murph

Thanks Doug. I am planning to get extra knives to match up to the plates.
Dummy me, I thought #8 was #8.
The 8# I have from Weston came with 8, 4.5, and 3mm plates and a plastic kidney plate. I wanted a steel kidney and a 10mm plate for it. When I went to Weston's site, I found that the plates I wanted only fit the pro 8#.

I have found some aftermarket plates/knives on Amazon that match all the dimensions of the plates I have but I haven't ordered any yet.

I was in the same position as you back in October last year BXMurphy BXMurphy . I know the feeling. I am a proponent of buying quality equipment since it will last and you're more likely to be satisfied with it at the end of the day. Granted, your question about where do you stop? is a valid one.

I'm more than happy with what I have now, but there are a few things I wish I knew before buying.

I started with the kitchenAid grinder/stuffer attachment. There are a LOT of positive reviews online for it by people that occasionally grind meat. The grinder did 'ok', but the stuffer was not fun to work with at all. After I struggled to get a decent stuff on my cheddar jalapeno sausages I upgraded to a dedicated stuffer. It was night and day, but unfortunately now I needed to grind more meat to keep up. I returned the attachment and started looking for a dedicated grinder.

I looked at a lot of reviews and specs for grinders. It can be confusing. .35hp, .5hp, 1hp, 1.5hp, solid gears, plastic housing, aluminum head vs steel head, commercial vs home use etc.

It is really helpful to have an idea of how much meat do you realistically think you'll be grinding? I know it can be hard to predict now, but it's a starting point. If you're only looking at grinding a few roasts a year for a night of burger grilling and making a few sausages, you don't really need much. In that case the MightyBite #8 would be more than adequate.

If you think that you might like to do more than the occasional grinding, consider stepping up in grinder size.

I have a #5 Weston Butcher Series Commercial meat grinder. It's .35hp. It is heavy and solid. It will grind 3-5lbs of meat a minute. I know that the speed rating probably doesn't make any sense now, but it will after you run a batch or two through a grinder.

For example, I ground up a 3.5kg (7.7lbs) pork shoulder in about 3 minutes. It would have been faster, but I was struggling to keep up with separating the meat chunks (some of it froze together) and feeding the machine. It didn't miss a beat, slow down, hesitate or even get mildly warm. Don't take this as a pitch for Weston as I'm positive a #5 LEM would do the same. It takes me longer to set up the machine, then clean up the hopper, head, auger, plates and blades than it does to grind the meat.

You're looking at the LEM #8. That's .5hp and is rated for grinding up to 7lbs of meat a minute. Essentially then the roast I mentioned above that took me around 3 minutes, would be burger in one minute. You will spend more time cleaning than grinding unless you're doing a LOT of meat in one go. If you go this route, the extra $50 over the #5 is money well spent even if it's more than you need. For now...

Generally, plates are interchangeable when comparing #'s though see the post above you for John's (Fueling Around) experience with a Weston home vs pro grade #8. Generally #8 grinder plates and parts are readily available. #5 is not so much in my neck of the woods. I got two plates with my Weston (a fine 3.5mm and a coarse 7.5mm plate). I did some searching and eventually found a kidney plate and a 10mm coarse grind #5 plate made by none other than LEM.

Also keep in mind that once you grind the meat, you still have to do something with it. So far, I think my biggest grind to date was in the 17lb neighborhood. That was a lot of work. Grinding, stuffing, cleaning, and smoking. Not to mention packaging after all was said and done. I'm at the point now where I've packed everything away since I'm plum out of freezer space.

Last edited:
I did some searching and eventually found a kidney plate and a 10mm coarse grind #5 plate made by none other than LEM.
LEM 8# plates should work with my Weston 8#. Had a friend measure his and everything matches. My grinder does everything I ask of it, so no complaints there. The main issue I have is that I have to go elsewhere if I want plates other than the ones that came with the grinder.

Well written N nlife
Cutting through the marketing crap, the 7/8 hp (650 watts) grinder Doug and I have is nowhere near the quality motor you have in your .35 hp (260 watts) unit. Yours is a true rating meaning it can grind all day. Ours is a peak rating meaning it needs a time out after a round of grind. That is fine for my needs as I don't grind more than 10# in a batch. If I ever planned more, I would need a break and a time out to put the grinder head in the fridge for an hour or so.
It was Doug that found that Weston had different parts for the standard #8 and the Butcher and Pro series. I'm curious what that boils down to in real terms. My understanding is that the number system is a standardization of sizing that applies to all products and manufacturers.

I'm going to Cabela's (Bass Pro Shop) next week with my Weston parts in pocket to compare the replacement plates and cutter they offer for a #8 grinder.

Reactions: nlife and DougE
I was in the same position as you back in October last year BXMurphy BXMurphy . I know the feeling. I am a proponent of buying quality equipment since it will last and you're more likely to be satisfied with it at the end of the day. Granted, your question about where do you stop? is a valid one.

I'm more than happy with what I have now, but there are a few things I wish I knew before buying.

I started with the kitchenAid grinder/stuffer attachment. There are a LOT of positive reviews online for it by people that occasionally grind meat. The grinder did 'ok', but the stuffer was not fun to work with at all. After I struggled to get a decent stuff on my cheddar jalapeno sausages I upgraded to a dedicated stuffer. It was night and day, but unfortunately now I needed to grind more meat to keep up. I returned the attachment and started looking for a dedicated grinder.

I looked at a lot of reviews and specs for grinders. It can be confusing. .35hp, .5hp, 1hp, 1.5hp, solid gears, plastic housing, aluminum head vs steel head, commercial vs home use etc.

It is really helpful to have an idea of how much meat do you realistically think you'll be grinding? I know it can be hard to predict now, but it's a starting point. If you're only looking at grinding a few roasts a year for a night of burger grilling and making a few sausages, you don't really need much. In that case the MightyBite #8 would be more than adequate.

If you think that you might like to do more than the occasional grinding, consider stepping up in grinder size.

I have a #5 Weston Butcher Series Commercial meat grinder. It's .35hp. It is heavy and solid. It will grind 3-5lbs of meat a minute. I know that the speed rating probably doesn't make any sense now, but it will after you run a batch or two through a grinder.

For example, I ground up a 3.5kg (7.7lbs) pork shoulder in about 3 minutes. It would have been faster, but I was struggling to keep up with separating the meat chunks (some of it froze together) and feeding the machine. It didn't miss a beat, slow down, hesitate or even get mildly warm. Don't take this as a pitch for Weston as I'm positive a #5 LEM would do the same. It takes me longer to set up the machine, then clean up the hopper, head, auger, plates and blades than it does to grind the meat.

You're looking at the LEM #8. That's .5hp and is rated for grinding up to 7lbs of meat a minute. Essentially then the roast I mentioned above that took me around 3 minutes, would be burger in one minute. You will spend more time cleaning than grinding unless you're doing a LOT of meat in one go. If you go this route, the extra $50 over the #5 is money well spent even if it's more than you need. For now...

Generally, plates are interchangeable when comparing #'s though see the post above you for John's (Fueling Around) experience with a Weston home vs pro grade #8. Generally #8 grinder plates and parts are readily available. #5 is not so much in my neck of the woods. I got two plates with my Weston (a fine 3.5mm and a coarse 7.5mm plate). I did some searching and eventually found a kidney plate and a 10mm coarse grind #5 plate made by none other than LEM.

Also keep in mind that once you grind the meat, you still have to do something with it. So far, I think my biggest grind to date was in the 17lb neighborhood. That was a lot of work. Grinding, stuffing, cleaning, and smoking. Not to mention packaging after all was said and done. I'm at the point now where I've packed everything away since I'm plum out of freezer space.
Man! WOW!

Now THAT'S what I call a write-up. Nicely done, N nlife ; thank you so much for that. You can't even believe how helpful that is.

This is all starting to make sense to me now. I started to wonder about all this because the cable guy piqued my interest in grinding. When he was talking about his setup, he said the dreaded, "I just wish I..." Ugh.

Now I'm curious about all the plates you're talking about. I think we're talking about spinning knives that scrape against a plate with holes in them, right? How come I need more than just what comes with the machine? Also, I was under the impression that the grinder can also stuff some sausages. Am I mistaken or should I also be looking for a dedicated stuffer?

As an aside, the cable guy said he has a friend that works at the local supermarket who told him to beware the ground meat and sausages at the market. He says I'd be buying soon-to-expire meats, stuff that fell on the floor, and trimmings that I would rather not have. You get the drift.

Thank you and everyone for the help!!

Murph

Now I'm curious about all the plates you're talking about. I think we're talking about spinning knives that scrape against a plate with holes in them, right? How come I need more than just what comes with the machine?
Correct. You can get different size plates for different grinds (eg. fine, medium, coarse), depending on what you're doing with it. In one of our sausages we do the meat with a 6mm plate and the fat with a 3mm plate to get a finer grind on the fat.

A lot of it comes down to personal preference. Some people prefer a double grind, others like a coarser sausage. Some comes down to type of meat, style of sausage, etc.

One thing to be aware of is if you buy another plate, buy another knife (blade) to go with it and store them together. The knives will wear with the plate. If you get an uneven wear it can cause issues with space between the two, mostly mushing instead of grinding, smearing of fat, etc.
Also, I was under the impression that the grinder can also stuff some sausages. Am I mistaken or should I also be looking for a dedicated stuffer?
If you're getting serious about it, look for dedicated units. The KitchenAid attachment for example, does both. The problem is, to stuff you need to run the meat through the auger again, which causes issues with fat heating up, textural issues, and so on. Not a knock on it, it definitely has it's place, but if you're looking at doing more than a pound or two at a time, I'd look at dedicated units.

As an aside, the cable guy said he has a friend that works at the local supermarket who told him to beware the ground meat and sausages at the market. He says I'd be buying soon-to-expire meats, stuff that fell on the floor, and trimmings that I would rather not have. You get the drift.
Yup. With centralized processing, you're also getting it from a massive number of sources, so one pack of ground beef could be from dozens of cattle, part of why recalls/outbreaks can hit so many products. Lol although I work with offal so where the trim comes from doesn't really bug me.

If you get a grinder you're better off buying a couple chucks, grind, and keep some on hand in the freezer. Then at least you know it's only coming from one animal, and tastes better to boot.

I'm with you and nlife, I'll pay for a quality, heavier duty product (providing my needs warrant it). When I first got into sausage making, I had 50# of moose trim in my freezer we had planned on doing. I looked at a small Kitchner model (which was a fine model, but would have struggled with what we've been doing). Fortunately the store steered me towards a #12 Tre Spade and I couldn't be happier. We've done 80# in a day and its ground in about 45 minutes, and needs a very minimal break between the game and pork to cool off. So trying to figure out quantity, frequency, and type of meat (as honestly as you can) you'll be grinding is a big step into steering what you buy and where you may want to upgrade, and where you can save.

Last edited:
Thanks Fueling Around Fueling Around .

No problem BXMurphy BXMurphy .

Yes you got the basic understanding of plates right. The plates that came with my grinder really would do everything I need. Generally speaking, the larger the hole in the plate, the easier it is on the grinder motor. In addition to that, there are some sausages that have differential grinds - meaning you grind the meat/fat at different sizes. It gives you a visual differentiation throughout the sausage. The Kranjska klobasa comes to mind. So does the Jagdwurst. Perhaps a more commonly known example is Mortadella. At the same time, sometimes you need a very find grind for things like hotdogs where everything appears homogeneous.

The numbers also represent overall diameter of the grinder head and the size of the meat chunks you can feed into it. This translates into the amount of meat you can grind per-minute. Generally speaking, the larger the number, the more meat it will grind per-minute.

Yes, you can stuff sausages with most grinders since they have adapters, though it's not ideal. This is mainly because you want your meat cold while you're working with it. The worm gear and grinder will warm it up as you stuff it. Warm fats tend to smear when you're working with them. The other issue I've found is that when I was trying to stuff the Jalapeno Cheddar Smokies, the cheese cubes would get stopped up at the kidney plate and they weren't getting through into the casings. It just backed everything else up. This has everything to do with the fact that when you use the grinder attachment, the auger needs something to hold it center and in place.

A dedicated stuffer doesn't have an auger. It works on pressure to push it through the stuffing horn. There's a lot less resistance and its a LOT faster. My jalapeno cheddar smokies are much more consistent. It's a lot faster and my frustration levels are considerably lower.

I'd have to go back and see if I can find the amounts, but I was able to make a handfull of links with the KitchenAid attachment before realizing what was going on and giving up. I was able to hammer out all the rest of the sausages in a fraction of the time after I picked up the dedicated stuffer later that day.

Again, it would be good to have some sort of an idea on how much you're actually planning on making. So far, my the initial cash layout into the sausage making foray has run me around $7-800 CAD. That's a lot of store bought sausages and ground meat.

Reactions: Culinary Otter
There's a lot less resistance and its a LOT faster.
I never even thought of speed. My buddy and I work pretty well together, and we can stuff a full-length casing with kielbasa (about 10 pounds) in less than 60 seconds with one guy on the horn and one on the crank.

The thought of doing a large amount of meat auger speed..... *shudder*

I'm going to Cabela's (Bass Pro Shop) next week with my Weston parts in pocket to compare the replacement plates and cutter they offer for a #8 grinder.
Let me know what you find out when you do, John. I have a Cabela's about 30 minutes away.

Let me know what you find out when you do, John. I have a Cabela's about 30 minutes away.
Posted in a new thread

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky