Not bad for $5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Florida Chris

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 22, 2023
Got a bit lucky this season and this fellow walked right in front of me on opening day. 10 point. Not sure of the weight but I got about 65 lbs. of meat from the processor (temps were too warm for us to hang and cut up ourselves). My buddies convinced me to go down and enter it into the town's buck pole competition. He scored out at 137.25 and I got second place, which won me a Cabela's 1/2 hp #8 grinder!!!! Not too shabby for a $5 entry fee!!!

I've been eyeing that model anyway because I like the ice pack that fits around the grind horn. Seems like a simple idea that I haven't seen on any other grinders. A buddy has one and it kept everything ice cold while we were using it.

Now I'll be spending HOURS on here looking at sausage recipes! And since my 25+ year old vac sealer just died, I guess I can put the money I was saving for a grinder into a nice chamber vac sealer and stuffer!!! Thinking I'll go with the LEM 5 lb stuffer but still bouncing around on the chamber sealer.

Seen some videos recently on the VEVOR brand. Chinese but the reviews are mostly positive. Any feedback on the brand?

1701386123514.png

1701386160188.png

1701385894482.png

Got a bit lucky this season and this fellow walked right in front of me on opening day. 10 point. Not sure of the weight but I got about 65 lbs. of meat from the processor (temps were too warm for us to hang and cut up ourselves). My buddies convinced me to go down and enter it into the town's buck pole competition. He scored out at 137.25 and I got second place, which won me a Cabela's 1/2 hp #8 grinder!!!! Not too shabby for a $5 entry fee!!!

I've been eyeing that model anyway because I like the ice pack that fits around the grind horn. Seems like a simple idea that I haven't seen on any other grinders. A buddy has one and it kept everything ice cold while we were using it.

Now I'll be spending HOURS on here looking at sausage recipes! And since my 25+ year old vac sealer just died, I guess I can put the money I was saving for a grinder into a nice chamber vac sealer and stuffer!!! Thinking I'll go with the LEM 5 lb stuffer but still bouncing around on the chamber sealer.

Seen some videos recently on the VEVOR brand. Chinese but the reviews are mostly positive. Any feedback on the brand?

View attachment 682252

View attachment 682253

View attachment 682249
Very nice

Reactions: Florida Chris
Nice score . . .
I use the 5lb LEM for smaller batches. Very solid unit. Just a FYI, it can t really handle the full 5#'s. Some are going with the Hakka 7# unit so 5 will fit.
Yup, I have the same stuffer. Switch to Kg instead of pounds. 2 Kg will fit, it’s tight but it leaves just enough headspace to work.

Nice buck! Personally, I'm just getting into the grinding and stuffing game with a new LEM #8 grinder already here and the LEM stuffer soon on the way. I've read reviews on most every brand out there and other than the LEM won't hold a true 5 lbs., really nothing else negative was found. The after Thanksgiving sales is what pushed me to the LEM.

There are tons of reviews out there to read on each brand, but ultimately first hand experience by the folks here is what helped me the most.

Chinese but the reviews are mostly positive.
For what it's worth, they're all made in China...

Nice buck. Didn't realize they actually have some size to them in FL.
and I got second place, which won me a Cabela's 1/2 hp #8 grinder!!!! Not too shabby for a $5 entry fee!!!

Congrats on the place in the contest.
Also need to drop the entire grinder head in the fridge for an hour before starting your processing.
Semi frozen meat and a cold head will get you through many pounds of processing. By then you need a break and put the head back in the fridge and the pack back in the freezer.
Or get a second gel pack in the Cabelas / Bass Pro Shop meat grinder accessories in the grinder aisle.

Thanks guys! And you're right. FL deer don't have any size to them. I hunt a friend's property up in Saranac, MI. He's got ~100 acres and a group of 5-6 of us get together every year up there.
I was only able to bring about 10 lbs of meat back in my luggage but he'll be driving down to FL in the next month or so with the rest of the venison and the meat grinder. I've got some time to plan out the recipes and load up on equipment and supplies!
Nice buck. Didn't realize they actually have some size to them in FL.

Congrats on the place in the contest.
Also need to drop the entire grinder head in the fridge for an hour before starting your processing.
Semi frozen meat and a cold head will get you through many pounds of processing. By then you need a break and put the head back in the fridge and the pack back in the freezer.
Or get a second gel pack in the Cabelas / Bass Pro Shop meat grinder accessories in the grinder aisle.

I was thinking the same thing .

That's a really nice Buck .

"Seen some videos recently on the VEVOR brand. Chinese but the reviews are mostly positive. Any feedback on the brand?"
I doubt you will find anything dealing with meat processing short of commercial units in a packing house that is not made in China. I would pay attention to warranty; the longer the better.

Don't know anything about the Vevor brand
My vac unit is almost dead so I left it back in MN on purpose to force me to buy a new unit.
Picked up a Cabelas basic unit on sale. Works great (which anything is better than my old unit) and has a survived a couple of wet seals.

Don't know anything about the Vevor brand
My vac unit is almost dead so I left it back in MN on purpose to force me to buy a new unit.
Picked up a Cabelas basic unit on sale. Works great (which anything is better than my old unit) and has a survived a couple of wet seals.
I absolutely LOVE the self-inflicted purchase of a new one!!

I need to remember and practice that in the future.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky