Mississippi Pot Roast - modified

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Malcom Reed's version here but modified to our tastes. First step SPOG & smoke it for 4 hours at 250º then into the oven at same temp with the seasoning goodies foiled over in a dish. Key is to get the chuck falling apart and that takes about 8 hours. More to come....
IMG_2779.jpg

I like cold smoking them at first then hitting with the heat. Did two on Monday. Mine always take about 12 hours when said and done. Yours look like its going to be a good one.

Well like other attempts things got in the way and the pictures were missed. Good news is the gray was kick ass as usual along with the homemade mashed potatoes from red-skins. Really thought I had compensated sufficiently with additional cook time to get the chuck to a falling apart stage. Smoked it 4 hours at 250º then into the oven at 275º for another 5 hours. In the end the meat was still on the chewy side. I'm going to have to rethink this part. For those interested here is the recipe I used.

Mississippi Pot Roast

Original recipe is from Malcom Reed which I’ve modified.

Ingredients:

3.5 lb Beef Chuck Roast, Cert. Angus is best
2-3 tablespoons Rub, see step #1
1 1/4 stick Salted Butter
1 package dry Beef Au Jus Gravy mix, McCormick's
1 package dry Ranch Dressing mix, not the Dip Mix
4 tablespoons worcestershire

4.5 cups Mashed potatoes

Gravy
2 tsp Beef bouillon, Better Than Bouillon - Beef Base
1.5 cup water, HOT
1.5 tsp tomato paste
1/8 cup red wine, dry, Cabernet

Roux
3 tbs butter
3 tbs flour

Directions:

1. Set smoker temp to 250ºƒ. Season the chuck roast with the Brisket Rub of your choice. I usually put together a mixture with a ratio of:
2 parts black pepper
2 parts kosher salt
1 part garlic powder
1 part onion powder

2. Smoke for 8 hours.
Alternate: use the smoker for the first 2 hours then proceed to the oven step below but extend the oven time to 6+ hours. You can vary how long in each (smoker & oven) but the total cook time needs to be 8+ hours.

3. OVEN TIME Place the roast in a 5 quart dutch oven or large pan and add butter, Au Jus mix, Ranch Mix. Cover with the lid or alum foil, place in oven at 250º and continue cooking for a total of 8+ hours (smoker+oven).

4. Carefully take the roast out of the dutch oven. Remove the chuck to a plate & place in warm oven. Then strain and discard the fat from the liquid in the pot. There will be a lot of fat to pour off.

5. Gravy Prep: In a large measuring cup, add 1.5 cup of HOT water and completely dissolve the bouillon & tomato paste. Add the wine to the dissolved mixture.

In a saucepan, make a roux. Melt 3 tbs of butter then add 3 tbs of flour and continually stir until the mixture becomes light brown in color. While continually stirring the roux, pour in the bouillon mixture and the strained gravy. Continue stirring until the gravy becomes thick.

6. Serve over mashed potatoes.

Reactions: Lunatikk and S-met
Sounds good. You can do save a few hours adding the water/wine to the Dutch oven, before going in the oven. The Steam generated cooks faster the a dry DO...JJ

Reactions: chopsaw
Nope... not the wife's favorite, SWMBO takes precedence. :emoji_blush:

Sounds good. You can do save a few hours adding the water/wine to the Dutch oven, before going in the oven. The Steam generated cooks faster the a dry DO...JJ

Exactly where my head is at JJ. Force it to braise. Currently uncertain if just that and keep the time frame the same or increase the oven temp to 350º and shorten it. Would probably withhold the wine during that though in order to maintain the beef flavor, but use it in making the gravy afterwards.

A 5Lb Seared Chuck Roast, in 2C of Liquid, is Fork Tender in 3 hours at 325°F. If you put a couple hours of Smoke at 225+, then Braise, your done in 5 hours, or less, instead of 8...JJ

Reactions: TNJAKE
Agreed, but to me there is still a difference. What we got this time was fork tender but the meat was still on the chewy side. There really wasn't any braise liquid so that might be the real issue. Since I've been able to accomplish non-chewy with other recipes, I'm wondering about smoking for 2 hours, placing the meat along with braise liquid etc (no wine) in a crockpot on high for 2 hours followed by 8 hours on low. Thinking the combo of braise with low & slow will render it and provide fall apart, non-chewy results?

Here are a couple of mine. After smoke I put in pan with the stick of butter and the rest of seasoning. Cook until 210-212. Makes a whole pan of juice. I dont add additional liquid as the butter and remaining juice from roast is sufficient. I always get juicy and fall apart consistency

20200412_190004.jpg
20200412_191351.jpg

And another Mississippi pot roast I did adding onions, taters and carrots to the original recipe. Just wanted to show the pan juice with no added liquid

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky