First Smoke on our new reverse flow smoker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
Well it's been a long time in coming, but finally getting around to posting our first smoke on our new smoker that Joel, seenred seenred built! A big thank you to him! My wife was of the opinion that I had enough smokers... until she saw it... think she's gonna love it as much as me. And by the way, think I'm gonna call it Rodney... just look at Red's avatar and you'll understand. My wife had been wanting to smoke some beef ribs and I found chuck roasts on sale so why not.

Now our weather wasn't gonna be cooperative, had a fair amount of rain on Friday morning, the day after it was delivered and they were talking more possibly in the afternoon. Turning cold and snow, temps in the teens Saturday so we built a temporary shelter

20231026_135001.jpg

Thankfully it didn't rain anymore but it did lead to a late start. Getting it started and warmed up.

20231026_134948.jpg

Watch that board to the left... nailed it with the top of my head! Didn't help later on that evening while working under the corn head of the combine, hit my head again... Ouch! That's not quite what I said!
Had the chuck roast and ribs seasoned up, waiting for smoker temp to get to temp.

20231026_143816.jpg

Nice feet!
Meat going on...

20231026_144134.jpg

Added some chicken a bit later... turned into chicken salad

20231026_173451.jpg

Getting some nice color about 3 hours in

20231026_173459.jpg

Pulled them off the smoker after about 5 1/2 hours. It was 8 pm and wanted time for the smoker to cool down so we could put it inside for the night... meat went into the oven to finish and we went to the shop to work on corn head.

20231026_195718.jpg

The first nights supper was the beef ribs, scalloped potatoes, and homemade crescent rolls my wife made

20231029_184918.jpg

I've heard something about a close up pic... look at that smoke ring!

20231029_185257.jpg

And those crescent rolls...

20231026_162500.jpg

Pure deliciousness!

20231027_144547.jpg

The second night's supper was the chuck roast. Someone has been snacking!

20231027_144748.jpg

And yes, we used a fork... even if it does look like a big mouthful!
And another beautiful smoke ring

20231027_144832.jpg

And a finish pic, chuck roast, mashed taters and gravy, and some of our sweet corn.

20231030_192905.jpg

Now some of you complain about a messy pic... but around here there's only one way to eat this... make a mess and mix it together!

20231030_193007.jpg

MMMMmmmmm!

So thanks for looking! Gonna take a little learning curve for fire management... but did pretty good for a couple newbies!
And again a huge thanks to Joel! He built a beautiful smoker and it was great to meet another member... even for a short bit. Apparently he didn't want to stick around for our weekend weather that was coming... the snow and temps in the teens with wind. But he is a traveling machine... he left about 6:15 am from near Tulsa Oklahoma, got to our house about 500 miles later and we unloaded it and visited for a short bit. Then he was off again. Found out he made it back to Saint Joe Missouri that night... about 10:30 that night and 285 miles later!

Ryan

Oh man a couple of gorgeous cooks on that gorgeous cooker. And I want to thank you for taking it off his hands...I was looking at my budget and figuring the amount of OT I'd have to work to get it!!! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink:
And that porch.....Man I'd could spend hours out there!

Jim

There you go Ryan, Great cook and story to follow along .

Love the smoke ring on both, and you did Joel proud on the first smoke .

I could sit to either one , or both if you please.

That is how I do my corn most times also. On top of my mashed then either lots of butter or a bucket of gravy.

And the close up , heaven.

David

ps: watch your head, I notice I bump/hit mine all the time and with no hair as a buffer , I say some pretty colorful words also.

David

Oh man a couple of gorgeous cooks on that gorgeous cooker. And I want to thank you for taking it off his hands...I was looking at my budget and figuring the amount of OT I'd have to work to get it!!! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink:
And that porch.....Man I'd could spend hours out there!

Jim
Thank you Jim! It was a fun cook for sure! I'm sure you can talk to Joel about building you one! We really like the porch... when the wind isn't blowing so terrible hard. Plus we can sit and listen to the pheasants when it's nice of course.

Ryan

There you go Ryan, Great cook and story to follow along .

Love the smoke ring on both, and you did Joel proud on the first smoke .

I could sit to either one , or both if you please.

That is how I do my corn most times also. On top of my mashed then either lots of butter or a bucket of gravy.

And the close up , heaven.

David

ps: watch your head, I notice I bump/hit mine all the time and with no hair as a buffer , I say some pretty colorful words also.

David
Thank you David, I appreciate it! Wife and I really enjoyed that cook! I was long overdue to post something... just been too busy trying to get outside jobs done before winter comes and stays. One goose egg would have been plenty but definitely didn't need that second one.

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks like a great smoker! Nice job on the MacGyver smoker cover.
Thank you, I appreciate it! Thankful we didn't need it... earlier that day we had thunderstorms go through and streaks of lightning. Two inches of snow that Saturday.

Ryan

Be careful you don't go for a bakers dozen on them.

And speaking of Baking, meant to say , love the crescent rolls. I could also fill up on just those . Nicely dipped in the gravy also.

David
My dad's eyes sure lit up when I brought him a plateful of the rolls!

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
awesome first time cook with I'm sure many more to follow.

Warren
Thank you Warren! It's greatly appreciated!

And I forgot to add since we don't have any grandkids we do have some granddogs.
Our son and his g/f just recently got a new puppy. Her name is Stella, she's a miniature schnauzer. On the other side of size spectrum than our daughter's Great Dane.

IMG_20231020_222533.jpg

Ryan

Man I've been busy and haven't eaten yet today. Those pics are KILLING me lol. Seriously looks so good and two of my favorite things with chuck and beef ribs. Smoker is beautiful too.

Well it's been a long time in coming, but finally getting around to posting our first smoke on our new smoker that Joel, seenred seenred built! A big thank you to him! My wife was of the opinion that I had enough smokers... until she saw it... think she's gonna love it as much as me. And by the way, think I'm gonna call it Rodney... just look at Red's avatar and you'll understand. My wife had been wanting to smoke some beef ribs and I found chuck roasts on sale so why not.

Now our weather wasn't gonna be cooperative, had a fair amount of rain on Friday morning, the day after it was delivered and they were talking more possibly in the afternoon. Turning cold and snow, temps in the teens Saturday so we built a temporary shelter

View attachment 681118

Thankfully it didn't rain anymore but it did lead to a late start. Getting it started and warmed up.

View attachment 681119

Watch that board to the left... nailed it with the top of my head! Didn't help later on that evening while working under the corn head of the combine, hit my head again... Ouch! That's not quite what I said!
Had the chuck roast and ribs seasoned up, waiting for smoker temp to get to temp.

View attachment 681120

Nice feet!
Meat going on...

View attachment 681121

View attachment 681122

View attachment 681123

Pulled them off the smoker after about 5 1/2 hours. It was 8 pm and wanted time for the smoker to cool down so we could put it inside for the night... meat went into the oven to finish and we went to the shop to work on corn head.

View attachment 681126

The first nights supper was the beef ribs, scalloped potatoes, and homemade crescent rolls my wife made

View attachment 681127

View attachment 681128

View attachment 681129

Pure deliciousness!

View attachment 681130

View attachment 681131

View attachment 681132

And a finish pic, chuck roast, mashed taters and gravy, and some of our sweet corn.

View attachment 681133

Now some of you complain about a messy pic... but around here there's only one way to eat this... make a mess and mix it together!

View attachment 681135

MMMMmmmmm!

So thanks for looking! Gonna take a little learning curve for fire management... but did pretty good for a couple newbies!
And again a huge thanks to Joel! He built a beautiful smoker and it was great to meet another member... even for a short bit. Apparently he didn't want to stick around for our weekend weather that was coming... the snow and temps in the teens with wind. But he is a traveling machine... he left about 6:15 am from near Tulsa Oklahoma, got to our house about 500 miles later and we unloaded it and visited for a short bit. Then he was off again. Found out he made it back to Saint Joe Missouri that night... about 10:30 that night and 285 miles later!

Ryan
whoa there. did the new appliance good..... wish i lived where i could get wood. just sold my reverse flow because (mostly) of that. forks up!

Reactions: Brokenhandle

View attachment 681118

View attachment 681119

View attachment 681120

Nice feet!
Meat going on...

View attachment 681121

View attachment 681122

View attachment 681123

View attachment 681126

View attachment 681127

View attachment 681128

View attachment 681129

Pure deliciousness!

View attachment 681130

View attachment 681131

View attachment 681132

View attachment 681133

View attachment 681135

MMMMmmmmm!

Ryan

Man that meat - and all the fixins that went with it - look terrific Ryan! Those beef ribs are ridiculous!! :emoji_thumbsup: 🤤 Makes me want to take another Iowa road trip for a helping of those ribs!! :emoji_wink::emoji_sunglasses:

I can't tell y'all how happy I am to see Ryan enjoying that pit! It's like being a proud father watching his baby take their first steps lol!!

I sincerely hope you get many years of great use out of it Ryan...

Red

Jim

Hey I'm looking for a new project Jim! Might as well be a custom-built JLeonard special. Just sayin'.....

:emoji_laughing::emoji_wink:

Red

Ryan that is a pretty epic way to break in a new smoker! Very nice, That chuck.....yum!
Thanks a bunch! Turned out really well for being a newbie with this smoker. I might get demoted... I didn't take any fire pics!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: civilsmoker
Man I've been busy and haven't eaten yet today. Those pics are KILLING me lol. Seriously looks so good and two of my favorite things with chuck and beef ribs. Smoker is beautiful too.
Thank you Jeff! Joel did an awesome job building it! Glad I could return the favor of making you a bit more hungry... your pics have done that to me many times!

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky