chuck roast mishap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

netspyder

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 18, 2022
Collinsville, IL
so... last thursday i wandered down to the freezer to find something to smoke for saturday, and found a couple chuck roasts that were maybe 4 lbs each... i thought "hey these'll be a pretty fast cook, i can be lazy and still they'll be great as sammiches or just sliced".
got up at 4 and started the fire. seasoned them up with just salt n pepper. on the pit by 4:30. holding at 250. fast forward to 9am. i.t. is 140. 11am 140. i'm thinking to myself 'better get outta the stall soon or i'll have to come up with plan B'. 2pm rolls around n the parents arrive. internal temp -- 133. crap on a cracker. popped a grate over the firebox n grilled up some mushroom n swiss bratwurst. (spice packets from owens bbq - strongly recommend - a fat friend of mine said they were "the best brats he's ever had"... and, he would know) so, we ate those and we fried up the 3 different sausage recipes i mixed up friday night and taste tested those as well. (pop's recipe (from here on smf) won out against chuds bbq and a sweeter one with brown sugar, in case you were curious)

6 pm - finally through the stall - 150 internal. 8pm - wrap and move to the oven to finish because i'm tired of babysitting the fire. 11pm pull and let rest.
19 hours for chuck roast. crazy. i mean ... it's delicious and i have a bag o sammich slices, but still crazy. i coulda done a brisket. or, like, 15 chickens, or, ... *sigh*

I think they're more involved than doing a brisket , or more of a crap shoot on the time it takes .
I save 'em for the Dutch oven .

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I do a LOT of chucks, but I do them differently than most but the cook times are very consistent and simple:

I smoke them at 265, with a braising pan under it (I have 2 shelfs in the smoker) with a beef broth based liquid. I smoke them 5-6 hours which usually has them sitting at a INT of 165, I then transfer them to the braising pan and cover (If I put them in early I drop the CC temp to 225 after the cover). They usually hit 205 in 1.5-2 hours.... then I transfer to the home oven at 145 to rest for 30-60 mins..... I put them on at 9-10 am all the time and eat them for dinner at 6:30-7.

Just a few examples for ya......

Last edited:
Hate it wasnt done in the expected time frame. But on the bright side....You got good eats for a few days!

Jim

I do a LOT of chucks, but I do them differently than most but the cook times are very consistent and simple:

I smoke them at 265, with a braising pan under it (I have 2 shelfs in the smoker) with a beef broth based liquid. I smoke them 5-6 hours which usually has them sitting at a INT of 165, I then transfer them to the braising pan and cover (If I put them in early I drop the CC temp to 225 after the cover). They usually hit 205 in 1.5-2 hours.... then I transfer to the home oven at 145 to rest for 30-60 mins..... I put them on at 9-10 am all the time and eat them for dinner at 6:30-7.
i will have to try it this way if i decide to smoke another one. i could put a baking rack over the braising pan. thanks for the advice!

Reactions: civilsmoker
i will have to try it this way if i decide to smoke another one. i could put a baking rack over the braising pan. thanks for the advice!
Yes or you can just set it next to it until its time to braise it. FYI we prefer smoked chuck over brisket many times over......

Yes or you can just set it next to it until its time to braise it. FYI we prefer smoked chuck over brisket many times over......
I prefer chuck also. They have more fat which helps to keep them moist (and maybe more flavorful). Also I'm not very good at smoked brisket, so lately I have been using brisket for pastrami.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky