MES 30" vs 40" - cast your vote!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What size smoker do you prefer?

• 30"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40"

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've got a 30" and I really got it for a steal.  There have been a few times I wish I had the 40", particularly when smoking cheese but for the most part the 30" works for me and the wife.

That being said, I wish I could find a 40" for the same price I paid for my 30".  Heck, I'd even spend twice as much!

I have a 30 (picked up new for $149) but only use it for low temp stuff like sausage & cold smoking... Works great for me for the way I use it ! If I were only smoking with the MES like Bear & the others, then I'd for sure want the 40.... Just my 2 pennies !

Last edited:
C'mon guys!!

Only 12 Votes so far.

We know there are Thousands of MES owners on this Forum.

Bear

I voted 40", but I love my 30".

I use mine for cured meat and sausages and I find myself having to smoke all weekend sometimes to get all the bacon or cb smoked.

Reactions: daricksta
Love my 30, but am finding that as I get into smoking more and more, I wish I had gotten the 40. I don't like having to cut a slab of ribs in half to fit it in. But I don't know if they would fit whole into a 40 either.

Love my 30, but am finding that as I get into smoking more and more, I wish I had gotten the 40. I don't like having to cut a slab of ribs in half to fit it in. But I don't know if they would fit whole into a 40 either.

The 40 is only 5 inches longer.  That enough?
So far I haven't had one that didn't fit in my MES 40.

I imagine if you grab the biggest one there, you might have to trim a bit off, or cut it, so don't grab the monsters.

Bear

Got a 30 to get into smoking for cheap.  Just me and the wife, does fine.

I suppose that if you have a 40, you'll find a way to fill it and use it to it's capacity.  Maybe if my 30 dies, I'll pop for a bigger MES.
drool.gif

Just go ahead and get a 40, then you will have a 70         I know to early for jokes

Gary

I have 2 of the 40" smokers. One is used only for hanging smoked country hams. The newer one is used

about every other weekend. I will buy another one in a year or two. Can't seem to live without them.

The 30" would be too small for the ribs, loins and 10lbs of cheese (cold smoking)

Get the AMNPS too.

Good luck

I have a 30 and a 40. 30 was the first purchase and as said above I hated cutting up meats to use it. It is perfect for fowl though which is my favorite smoke. It uses less electricity and less smoke required to make an impact upon the meat.

After starting to play with bacon and sausage and learning the best place to buy a MES40 (oddly enough it was from Masterbuilt direct). I bought one as well as a Masterbuilt Electric Cold Smoke attachment. At a HUGE discount over anyother offered price pplus I could get exactly the model and generation build I wanted shipped directly to my door. I also learned how much easier any warranty work would be when you bought directly from them also.

I love my MES30, matter a fact I have a butt smoking in it right now. For everyday smokes its hard to beat. BUT when you get to learning bacons and hams and sausages, etc that MES40 is sweet too.

I have a AMPs and a MECS (Cold Smoker), both have there purposes, both work as specified, both can be finicky and both cost about the same.

I have been smoking awhile and for the life of me I don't understand a window, its like a screen door on a submarine. But it is fun to clean it, I would guess it losses heat since I can't lay my hand on it, but some folks do like looking in.  

If only one, I would go with the 40 and I would spring for the cold smoker attachment for it strickly for the quantity of smoke delivered. Besides the free frt when purchaced with the MES40. Then soon afterwards a AMPs would be at the top of my list, (its cheaper than a tank of gas).  I still sometimes have AMPs problems, it normally works, but when it starts out hard to light, its a pain and doesn't get better. Course the MECS the chips can and do stick up in the chimmeny.

Its all about understanding and some day hoping to master your equipment before you get mad enough to throw it out! LOL

OH I highly recommend you call the MES 800 number and check price and availability before you purchase. I got my MES40 w/ MECS sizably cheaper than I paid for my MES30.

Last edited:
I went to Home Depot today to thoroughly inspect their MESs.  The 30 looks just too small, especially if you are thinking about putting an AMPS inside.  I am definitely going with the 40.

I went to Home Depot today to thoroughly inspect their MESs.  The 30 looks just too small, especially if you are thinking about putting an AMPS inside.  I am definitely going with the 40.
Todd Johnson designed the AMNPS for the MES 30. He developed and perfected it inside one to the best of my knowledge. Bearcarver was one of the guys providing feedback and QC.

Still, if you're only buying one smoker, you're right in going for the 40" since it's more flexible in terms of larger interior cooking space and a more powerful heating element.

Started with an MES 30, because it's usually only Me & Mrs Bear.

Found out quickly it doesn't matter how few people.

Had to cut Rib Racks in Half, cut Briskets in half, and could only get 7 pounds of Beef Stick in at one time.

Bought the MES 40 the following year, and sold my MES 30 for $50.

Love my MES 40 for 5 years now!!

I would have saved some money if I'd have never bought that MES 30.

Bear
Bear... how much better is the yield of beef sticks and other items in the 40?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky