MES 30" vs 40" - cast your vote!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What size smoker do you prefer?

• 30"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40"

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Started with an MES 30, because it's usually only Me & Mrs Bear.

Found out quickly it doesn't matter how few people.

Had to cut Rib Racks in Half, cut Briskets in half, and could only get 7 pounds of Beef Stick in at one time.

Bought the MES 40 the following year, and sold my MES 30 for $50.

Love my MES 40 for 5 years now!!

I would have saved some money if I'd have never bought that MES 30.

Bear

Last edited:
I agree with Bear, I love my 30 and have had some great smokes on it, but more and more now I'm finding that I wish it were a little bigger. Can't really justify replacing a year old smoker, but when it's time for a new one, it'll be a little bigger.

I just bought a 30" electric with the window. I wish I bought the 40" electric with the window. Now I want to smoke everything and there is only so much room in the 30" 
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

40 the only way to go, you can put less in it. But the 30 you can't put more then it can take.JMHO

On stick burners bigger is not always better, but for Electric I would go bigger

Gary

I own a MES 30 Gen 1. Like others here, I'm now cooking for only my wife and I (new empty nesters--sob!
icon_cry.gif
) so 30" is plenty big and it was also cheap which fit my requirements for an entry level smoker. If I could afford it I'd buy a 40" or larger smoker, though, and if I really could afford it I'd be looking at a Cookshack since they're American-made and all stainless steel.

And as John Wayne supposedly said "That's about the size of it."

I liked my 30 except that you couldn't cook a whole rack of ribs without either cutting or rolling them. Now my brother likes my old 30 and I love my 40. Also a big fan of the window.

I don't have an electric. That said I kick my self for not buying the 22.5 WSM all the time!

Eh I have a 22.5 wsm and find myself hating it because it's to large for a lot of the smoking I do. Doesn't make much sense to fire it up for 2 chickens, or a single fatty. Normally just use my 22.5 grill and split it with a thick shield of tin foil. But it's nice to have the size at times like cooking a butt and 4-6 racks of ribs for a party

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky