Chili, Soup, And Stew Throwdown: It's Time To Vote

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What's Your Favorite Chili, Soup, Or Stew?

• #1) "Smoked oxtail soup, with Piedmontese stew beef, carrots, celery, potatoes and sweet corn

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • #2) Belgian Beer-Cheese Soup With Fresh Smoked Sausage In A Homemade Pretzel Bread Bowl

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • #3) This is a simple chicken noodle soup made from the leftover meat and bones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #4) Here is my Ham and Beans entry.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #5) Double soup black garlic oil miso ramen with homemade noodles

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • #6) Tonkotsu Ramen with smoker-braised Pork Chashu and Shoyu Tare

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • #7) Hearty Italian Sausage & Peppers soup with Garlic Rosemary Parm Biscuits

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • #8) It’s Mardi Gras! Presented here is a hearty hickory-smoked chicken and andouille gumbo

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • #9) Smoked chicken soup with homemade bread

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • #10) Mexican chicken stew, has chicken, black beans, and corn

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • #11) Made up a batch of Chili for Super Bowl Sunday and it timed right for the TD

• #12) Smoked Beef Chuck Bourbon Thyme Stew & Garlic Toast.

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • #13) Bacon potato chowder with lil smokies.

• #14) Smoked And Cast Iron Cooked Elk Burger Taco Soup!

• #15) Ground Vegetable Soup with Smoked Chuck

• #16) Pizza soup in a homemade bread bowl.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • #17) Colorado style, Pueblo pork green chili.

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
"Just some perspective….. it’s only a looks contest if members vote on looks alone…..many vote deeper than that….."

Do they not vote on the same photo's I voted on? If there is more, post it up for all to see please. Because I based my vote on the photos posted.

Clue us in on how we should "vote deeper than" what we are seeing in the photo, please.

Last edited:
Most likely because most people don't give a rip about a food "looks" contest.
Dan, thanks so much for voicing your thoughts. Chris ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) and I are beating our brains out trying to figure out a way to bolster support from the forum members with the voting. Every perspective we get from people will give us something to consider in our efforts.
We all eat with our senses first, with our eyes, and nose.
This is all too true, and completely understandable. If a person sees a meal that looks well thought out, is nicely presented, and looks delicious, the chef has half the battle won right out of the gate. I've always believed in this philosophy: "a person's perception becomes their own reality". If they perceive from the outset that they are about to delve into a culinary masterpiece, their reality becomes one top-notch quality and deliciousness before they even take the first bite.
Yeah it may be a "looks" contest, but for the most part its all in fun.
This is true for all Internet based food forums as well as anything viewed on television. Think about it. Have any of y'all ever watched a cooking show on TV or some sort of a cooking contest (BBQ Pitmasters??) and enjoyed it? I'd be willing to bet that if you have, you've sat there and compiled your votes in your own mind while the TV judges are doing theirs and you're trying to pick a winner. This is absolutely no different than one of those celebrity chef shows seen on TV, except we don't have the spoken dialog here.
It isn't all looks. Consider the creativity that goes into dishes that have been presented
An excellent point Doug. This is exactly why the Judge's voting is vastly more involved than just what they see in the presentation picture.

As Jim noted above, these events are done for fun....by the people who enter and for the viewing / voting pleasure of the forum membership. There is a massive amount of time and effort that goes into the TD's. Starting with the admin team, our great sponsors, the TD committee, all the people who put together entries for voting, and the judges working behind the scenes to break down the entries and compile a score for each. Seeing such a lack of support for all of this effort is very disheartening. I was honestly expecting the forum voting to eclipse the triple-digit mark but we barely got half way there. Taking out the 17 people who entered and most likely voted, that means less than 50 non-entrants actually took a minute to vote. I know that the total number of members is a bit out of kilter based on the number of people who actually participate here, but that is a pretty lackluster showing of support for all the work that goes into these events. Checking the voting thread early this morning made me ask myself "why do we even bother?".

Oh well, time to climb down off my soapbox now. Springtime is coming soon. Chris and I need to get our heads geared up and start putting the next one together....which will hopefully garner more attention with the voting. I may be toeing the line here but I'll share a few more sentiments about this TD. I believe we had the 2nd most entries of all time, which is amazing so thanks from the bottom of my heart to all the people who took the time to put together their entries and submit them. Secondly, all three of our judges said pretty much the same thing when they sent their votes to me: this was far and again the most difficult of all the TD's to vote on. That tells me that the overall quality of the entries has improved dramatically as people are embracing the events and trying to showcase top-shelf food. Congrats to all!! There are no "losers" here, just a few points separating 1st and 17th place :emoji_wink:

Robert

I have entered a few of these TD's and have consistently finished at or near the bottom of the voting. I can make food that tastes good, at least my family thinks so, but I don't have the creative mind it takes to make a plate look appealing, hence the voting on my entries, so I sat this one out.

BUT, I did vote and I like a few of the entries so maybe they'll become a favorite around here if the recipes are posted...😉

"Just some perspective….. it’s only a looks contest if members vote on looks alone…..many vote deeper than that….."

Do they not vote on the same photo's I voted on? If there is more, post it up for all to see please. Because I based my vote on the photos posted.

Clue is in on how we should "vote deeper than" what we are seeing in the photo, please.
I think most of us have a thought process a little deeper than just the presentation / picture quality. Certainly it is the first impression and as important here as it is on a menu picture, food ad or a plate served at a restaurant. Other things I think most people could insider: 1) How well does it fit the theme? 2) How well is it executed? 3) How original is it? 4) What level of complexity is involved? 5) If entries are tied in my mind which have the tastiest accompaniment? 5) Lastly and perhaps most importantly taking into consideration the presentation and description which one would I choose to eat first given the chance at all of them? This is the general thought process I have when voting here or in other food contests I vote on. I think most folks do this whether consciously or subconsciously. Interestingly enough this is likely the same outline many follow when entering online food contests. Just my thoughts. Robert I have a suggestion to bolster voting but it would hinge on whether or not you can see who voted. If you can I'd suggest entering all who cast a vote into a drawing for a "door prize". Whether that's a sponsors prize or a collection of things some of us donate perhaps that would incent more people to get involved. I'd even suggest entering all entries who didn't win a prize in that same door prize drawing.

If you can I'd suggest entering all who cast a vote into a drawing for a "door prize". Whether that's a sponsors prize or a collection of things some of us donate perhaps that would incent more people to get involved. I'd even suggest entering all entries who didn't win a prize in that same door prize drawing.
This is a great idea Jeff. Thanks so much for bringing it up. I can set it up so that people who voted for each entry can be seen. What I'd likely do is keep that hidden until all voting is done then change the parameters so the voters are visible. I'd need to discuss this with Chris ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) and get his thoughts. Not sure if there could be possible negative repercussions with the forum members knowing who voted for which entry. It would be a bit cumbersome writing down every person who voted, putting them into a hat, and drawing a name but certainly doable. It would also require either an additional sponsor or a redistribution of the current prizes to have the door prize available. Nothing that can't be overcome but would take some thought if it's initiated....but still a great idea.

Robert

This is a great idea Jeff. Thanks so much for bringing it up. I can set it up so that people who voted for each entry can be seen. What I'd likely do is keep that hidden until all voting is done then change the parameters so the voters are visible. I'd need to discuss this with Chris ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) and get his thoughts. Not sure if there could be possible negative repercussions with the forum members knowing who voted for which entry. It would be a bit cumbersome writing down every person who voted, putting them into a hat, and drawing a name but certainly doable. It would also require either an additional sponsor or a redistribution of the current prizes to have the door prize available. Nothing that can't be overcome but would take some thought if it's initiated....but still a great idea.

Robert
Probably not a great idea if you have to show it openly. I was hoping you could keep it so only the judges could see it. Alternatively perhaps voting could be completely blind with votes sent directly to the judges to compile? I know that's a big task but somehow I think we could push votes if a way could be figured out.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I sure enjoy the throwdowns and appreciate what the committee does to put them on as well as the sponsors and to all who donate prizes... so Thank You!

I don't join all the throwdowns, sometimes time and being too busy get in the way. Or probably more importantly to me is coming up with what I think is a great idea.
This one was alot of fun to me, and tasty!

Ryan

I had to pretend that I could taste the one I voted for. This is more like a photo contest. . .LOL!

I had to get past the thought of voting myself.
A food "looks" contest really makes no sense if you aren't into fancy plating, which I am not, and never will be. This is the main reason I don't like French food, the plating is way too orchestrated/ bougie for me, and I'm not paying top dollar for pretty plates of food.

Just my opinion on why more people don't really care about voting these contests.

I have to agree with forktender forktender on this one. Fancy plating and exorbitant costs for tiny food at "fancy" restaurants is not for me either.

I have eaten foods many times that looked horrible (usually at hunting and fishing camps) but were some of the best dishes I have ever tasted.

How about this suggestion: Perhaps each entry should have the recipe included along with the photo at the time of entry, instead of offered after the voting has taken place and prizes given out. Then the dish(s) can actually be tried and the sense of taste (which in my opinion is the most important) can be entered into the voting process.

Just my two cents,

John

Last edited:
I have to agree with forktender forktender on this one. Fancy plating and exorbitant costs for tiny food at "fancy" restaurants is not for me either.

I have eaten foods many times that looked horrible (usually at hunting and fishing camps) but were some of the best dishes I have ever tasted.

How about this suggestion: Perhaps each entry should have the recipe included along with the photo at the time of entry, instead of offered after the voting has taken place and prizes given out. Then the dish(s) can actually be tried and the sense of taste (which in my opinion is the most important) can be entered into the voting process.

Just my two cents,

John
John, I would be screwed for sure then, because I don't use recipes. LOL
I have had some of my best meals hunting, fishing camping.

Heck, I'm probably already blackballed by the judges for speaking my mind.

Oh well I have zero intentions of entering a food looks/ plating event anyhow.
And by the voting turn out, I'm not the only one.

Too each their own, though. It's a cool thing for the forum, it just falls flat with everything I was ever taught about food, which is taste and taste again while cooking it. Which I'm sure the people entering are doing but who can tell from a photo, which goes back to a food plating look/ contest, not a bad thing, just not how I was taught to cook. Plating means nothing to me, it all comes back to taste.

• Love
Reactions: BandCollector
Dan, thanks so much for voicing your thoughts. Chris ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) and I are beating our brains out trying to figure out a way to bolster support from the forum members with the voting. Every perspective we get from people will give us something to consider in our efforts.

This is all too true, and completely understandable. If a person sees a meal that looks well thought out, is nicely presented, and looks delicious, the chef has half the battle won right out of the gate. I've always believed in this philosophy: "a person's perception becomes their own reality". If they perceive from the outset that they are about to delve into a culinary masterpiece, their reality becomes one top-notch quality and deliciousness before they even take the first bite.

This is true for all Internet based food forums as well as anything viewed on television. Think about it. Have any of y'all ever watched a cooking show on TV or some sort of a cooking contest (BBQ Pitmasters??) and enjoyed it? I'd be willing to bet that if you have, you've sat there and compiled your votes in your own mind while the TV judges are doing theirs and you're trying to pick a winner. This is absolutely no different than one of those celebrity chef shows seen on TV, except we don't have the spoken dialog here.

An excellent point Doug. This is exactly why the Judge's voting is vastly more involved than just what they see in the presentation picture.

As Jim noted above, these events are done for fun....by the people who enter and for the viewing / voting pleasure of the forum membership. There is a massive amount of time and effort that goes into the TD's. Starting with the admin team, our great sponsors, the TD committee, all the people who put together entries for voting, and the judges working behind the scenes to break down the entries and compile a score for each. Seeing such a lack of support for all of this effort is very disheartening. I was honestly expecting the forum voting to eclipse the triple-digit mark but we barely got half way there. Taking out the 17 people who entered and most likely voted, that means less than 50 non-entrants actually took a minute to vote. I know that the total number of members is a bit out of kilter based on the number of people who actually participate here, but that is a pretty lackluster showing of support for all the work that goes into these events. Checking the voting thread early this morning made me ask myself "why do we even bother?".

Oh well, time to climb down off my soapbox now. Springtime is coming soon. Chris and I need to get our heads geared up and start putting the next one together....which will hopefully garner more attention with the voting. I may be toeing the line here but I'll share a few more sentiments about this TD. I believe we had the 2nd most entries of all time, which is amazing so thanks from the bottom of my heart to all the people who took the time to put together their entries and submit them. Secondly, all three of our judges said pretty much the same thing when they sent their votes to me: this was far and again the most difficult of all the TD's to vote on. That tells me that the overall quality of the entries has improved dramatically as people are embracing the events and trying to showcase top-shelf food. Congrats to all!! There are no "losers" here, just a few points separating 1st and 17th place :emoji_wink:

Robert, I completely understand the concept, and appreciate the effort the judges put out. It's impressive what the sponsors donate.

I voted for what "looks" best to me, which is how every single person voting, votes.

I guess I struck a nerve with some, but the truth is the truth, people are voting on looks and looks only.

It's not a bad thing, whatI was saying, before some people got butt hurt over is why a lot of people may not be voting.

I've been around here for many years. Throw downs come and go for this very reason.

Dan

As a prize sponsor for this particular TD, I am very pleased with the number and quality (visual, efforts, and complexity) of the of those that entered. I appreciate all the effort of the entrants, those that voted, and even those that didn't vote but just viewed. This tread has over 3000 views of unique IP's so both the entrants and sponsors got to share their specific entry or sponsor prize with a large group of like-minded people. This is/was a huge success and feel my sponsor efforts were well respected!

guess I struck a nerve with some, but the truth is the truth, people are voting on looks and looks only.
Just to clarify, for me. I certainly didn't mean any disrespect. I was just giving my 2 cents on it. I have a ton of respect for you guys here and have a ton of fun with SMF. Just hoping everyone isn't to sour cause we definitely have a good thing here.

If your sponsor prize had been entry #18, it would have easily won the popular vote!
It's all just smoke and mirrors.....
IMG_7716.jpeg

TBS that is.....

Just to clarify, for me. I certainly didn't mean any disrespect. I was just giving my 2 cents on it. I have a ton of respect for you guys here and have a ton of fun with SMF. Just hoping everyone isn't to sour cause we definitely have a good thing here.
This wasn't aimed at anyone in specific, no harm, no foul.
I appreciate the response.
Dan.

Reactions: gmc2003 and JLinza
I had to get past the thought of voting myself.
A food "looks" contest really makes no sense if you aren't into fancy plating, which I am not, and never will be. This is the main reason I don't like French food, the plating is way too orchestrated/ bougie for me, and I'm not paying top dollar for pretty plates of food.

Just my opinion on why more people don't really care about voting these contests.

Clue us in on how we should "vote deeper than" what we are seeing in the photo, please.
Dan, I appreciate and value your opinion. I'll give you my perspective on these types of contests. First, I enjoy seeing the creativity that goes into making some of the entries. Some I like, some I don't like as much. Second, sure the picture initially catches my eye and does play a part in influencing my vote, but I also look deeper. I try to imagine what it tastes like and would I like it. Even though the ingredients aren't listed I can still pretty much tell what the main ingredients are. Third, It's all done for fun, doesn't really cost the participants anything(since they'll be eating their entry), Forth they have a chance to win some really great prizes, and finally fifth - I assume most people here like each other in a cyber-type of way. We support each other when they post up a thread on something they just smoked. This is basically the same - just in contest form, and instead of a like or comment you give them a click. If someone wants to vote based on pictures alone that's fine. If someone else wants to do the old eene meenie mighty moe to choose that's great. Whatever works for ya. I'm also a simple five-and-dime diner type of person, and my plating skills are probably in the bottom 1% of the folks on this site, but I still entered a couple throw-downs when I wasn't part of the committee.

Chris

Presentation and great pics are nice, but if that is all you judge by, you're kind of shallow in your perspective.

I look at the entries that catch my eye first and foremost, but then I look them all over again. Level of complexity, how they jive with the TD theme all come into play now. It is not always the best plated shot that gets my vote because I go into more depth in my consideration.

tx smoker tx smoker
I have an idea that sort of expands on this suggestion. First, let me say that including recipes would make the polling thread way too long, and lets face it not everyone here is a wordsmith. Myself included.

My idea would be as follows: Mind you it still would need some major tweaking here and there.

The polling thread would include a contestant's chosen picture showcasing their entry, and instead of a brief description of the entry. We would include a link to their step-by-step thread detailing how the dish was made. This way the voters would get a behind the scenes look at just what went into making the dish. If you really don't like the entry based solely on the picture. Then you wouldn't have to read the threads step-by-step.

Problems I see going this route. I'm not fully sure what our limitations are with thread control. That would have to be discussed with Brian and Jeff. Can we hide who created the thread? I have my ideas on how to do it. I would just need to run it by the admin. team.

Not everyone would want to create a step-by-step thread. This I see as a minor problem, but I may be blind.

There are other concerns that I have, but I'll keep those to myself for now.

Chris

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BandCollector
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky