30" vs 40" MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cruiser rod

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
South Jersey
I'm thinking of upgrading to a 40" mes. My main reason is when I do my 30 pounds venison kielbasa I'd like to have fewer smokes and maybe better smoke.

* For those who have experience with the larger 40" mes compared to the 30" is it worth the upgrade to the larger size?

I have a 30 . It only likes about 10 pounds of sausage at a time . I've never used a 40 , but I'm thinking it wouldn't like all 30 pounds at once .
Right now 30 pounds takes me 4 seperate smokes. I'm not expecting to get all 30 pounds in it at once.

Courious, why so many smokers?

Three of them got abandoned during cross-country moves, one straight-up broke after 6 years or so, and I gave away my most recent one when I got the TSM and Pellet Pro. This was across 35+ years…

I switched to the 40 about 9 years ago and never looked back. The additional room made all the difference in everything. Highly recommend the 40.

Reactions: cruiser rod
I forget the specs but think the MES30 was 800w and 40 1200w. I agree with chopsaw chopsaw on like 10lbs for the 30 and that would mean 15lbs for 40.

Am I right the measurements are like tv's and so the 40 is actually taller as well? I want more vertical space for hanging stuff...

Reactions: MJB05615
According to Masterbuilt's website, here are the inside dimensions....

Model -- Width x Height x Depth
#30 ------ 20.9" x 33.3" x 19.8"

#40 ------ 28.2" x 50.4" x 23"

Reactions: zwiller
I'm thinking of upgrading to a 40" mes. My main reason is when I do my 30 pounds venison kielbasa I'd like to have fewer smokes and maybe better smoke.

* For those who have experience with the larger 40" mes compared to the 30" is it worth the upgrade to the larger size?

MES40 all the way.

The best one would be a free or cheap one you could rewire and put a PID on. It would perform better than any $1,000 electric smoker you could buy new! :D

Reactions: MJB05615
MES40 all the way.

The best one would be a free or cheap one you could rewire and put a PID on. It would perform better than any $1,000 electric smoker you could buy new! :D
That's exactly what I did. Curbside freebee MES40 on craigslist. Now being ran by an Auber PID.

Reactions: tallbm
Which one do you have?
I have a gen 1 MES40.

When facing the door of the MES my vent is top right and controller is on top in the center (gen 2 has controller built across the entire front of the smoker like above the door).

Here is my model before I rewired and slapped a PID controller on it:
full?d=1507243376.jpg

According to Masterbuilt's website, here are the inside dimensions....

Model -- Width x Height x Depth
#30 ------ 20.9" x 33.3" x 19.8"

#40 ------ 28.2" x 50.4" x 23"
THANKS. Had no time to dig... WOW I'm sold. I knew it had more width but no idea that much more height.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky