Looking for Recipes App for iPhone/iPad/iPod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rabbithutch

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Recipes App for iOS

I'm posting in this forum because my question is about recipes but not a request for one. If it's in the wrong place, my apologies.

I've been looking for an app for my iPhone/iPad that will allow me to enter recipes. Most of what I found was apps of recipes. I want to be able to enter my own and to capture recipes from websites and emails and put them in my own ebook.

Here is how I would envision it working (of course suggestions for improvements are welcome):
1. after opening the app I would like a choice of entering a new recipe or searching for one already loaded or
editing one already entered.
2. assuming the choice is to enter a new recipe, the app should function as follows:
a) provide a panel for entering a name
b) go directly to a series of panels for entering ingredients starting with the ingredient name (e.g., 'salt') to
be entered by the user with context sensitive icons to choose the type of measure (e.g., 'tsp', 'tbs',
'cup', etc.; obviously the user would enter the correct quantity (decimals would be preferred for partial "
measures
c) after ingredients, the user should be able to enter directions for preparation; this part should give some
control over formatting by allowing numbered steps, paragraph breaks, even cautions.
d) after concluding ingredients and directions, the user should be presented with a formatted recipe with
an edit feature to correct or restate any entries by selecting them.
e) after proof-reading is accepted, the app should present other panels for such things as source, type,
category, tags, prep time, cook time, etc.
3. assuming that the user chooses to find an existing recipe, search argument panels for each of the different
panels provided in 2.e) requiring that at least one be chosen; each panel would have a drop down menu
to display the list of all entries in that panel and the user would choose among them
4) assuming that the user chose to edit a recipe, similar set of search panels with pull down choices would be
provided to locate the right recipe; a confirmation of selection would be needed to prevent accidentally
changing a recipe; perhaps the entire original could be saved and a replace function provided in case one
does make a mistake and want to go back.
5) there should be an option to override the screen power saver to keep the selected recipe on screen until
the user resets his device with the button that powers off the screen

I've probably left out many features and functions that would be important, but I think that the general sequence is important and the use of menu choices and radio buttons should be maximized.

If anyone knows of such an app, please post the name of it and a brief review of it.

Living Cookbook 2011 does most of what you want but was originally only for Windows - you might check with them to see if they have an app yet

http://www.livingcookbook.com/

Evernote does great at screenshots and adding notes and making shopping lists you can share with other family members

Evernote Food allow you to capture dining experiences and view them in Evernote notebooks

Both are free 

http://evernote.com/

Hope this helps 

As an avid IPad user I went on the search for the same type of app. I did not find much out there that you can download to try out with out having to pay for it. I currently am using Pepper Plate. Works ok but am still on the look out for a better app.

I use Recipe Book and love it. It allows you to search online and import recipes from many sites, create your own. You can even import your own pics. You can use it to increase or decrease the servings (which changes ingredient measures). It creates shopping list, email recipes with ingredients and instructions automatically formatted.​

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky