Battle of the Brats!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nlife

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 16, 2023
Following up on my previous post "These Brats are the WURST!", I got a few tips on other recipes to try. tallbm tallbm suggested that I pick up LEM's Brat Seasoning and jcam222 jcam222 put forward Polka Polka 's recipe. Last night I got around to grinding up a pork shoulder roast after trimming away all the soft mushy fat. I mixed up the LEM seasoning as recommended by tallbm tallbm to 27.3g per pound as well as Polka Polka 's recipe. The grind was divided into 1kg each, seasoned and into the fridge to sit overnight.

20231229_201028.jpg

The next morning I got up, mixed in the egg and cream for Polka's recipe, and 100g water for LEM. Stuffed into 29-32mm hog casings. Polka on the left, LEM on the right.

20231230_120315.jpg

Dropped one of each into a small pan for a beer and onion simmer like we do with the recipe we use.

20231230_120909.jpg

About 15 minutes later they were on the grill getting some color.

20231230_123143.jpg

Ready for hoagie rolls, mustard and onions. Again, Polka's on the left, LEM on the right.

20231230_123542.jpg

Final tasting! Dropped two into buns, cut them in half so my wife and I could try a bit of each. Polka on the left, LEM on the right.

20231230_124321.jpg

Final results:

Polka recipe - has a similar flavor profile to the recipe that I've been using, though it's a bit toned down, if you will. My wife didn't mind it, but prefers the recipe I've been using. I didn't mind it, but prefer the recipe I use a touch more. I don't use cream and eggs in my recipe and frankly I'm not sure if I would notice a difference over simply adding water.

LEM - Pretty simple to use. Measure it out, add it to the ground meat. Mix. Stuff. Links looked great. Unfortunately this was far too salty for my wife. She mentioned that all she could taste was salt and pepper. I didn't find it as salty as she described, but it did leave a weird tingling in my mouth. I found this to be the mildest flavor profile of the three recipes that I've used.

Three recipes down, lord only knows how many more to try...

Unfortunately this was far too salty for my wife. She mentioned that all she could taste was salt
I got some LEM spice packs along with my stuffer and I tried the bratwurst and summer sausage. Way too salty for my tastes.

I mostly roll my own spice blends now so I can dial it in for my own tastes.

That's one of the MANY great things about this hobby/madness we all share, the opportunity to experiment!

The side by side comparison that you did is always fun to do and sometimes sparks a nice debate around the table.

I agree on that! Recipes really are to personal tastes and I'm having fun. Never would have thought I would have fun making sausages, but here we are!

I got some LEM spice packs along with my stuffer and I tried the bratwurst and summer sausage. Way too salty for my tastes.

I mostly roll my own spice blends now so I can dial it in for my own tastes.

My wife and I do a lot of East Indian cooking so we have a fairly extensive spice collection. So much so that we had 7 large Tupperware bins full of various spices last time we had to move.

I've just gotten used to rolling my own, or tweaking a recipe to suit our tastes. I haven't found a recipe that I absolutely detest, but I have found a lot that I really like. Those are put into a growing cook book.

Reactions: DougE
Following up on my previous post "These Brats are the WURST!", I got a few tips on other recipes to try. tallbm tallbm suggested that I pick up LEM's Brat Seasoning and jcam222 jcam222 put forward Polka Polka 's recipe. Last night I got around to grinding up a pork shoulder roast after trimming away all the soft mushy fat. I mixed up the LEM seasoning as recommended by tallbm tallbm to 27.3g per pound as well as Polka Polka 's recipe. The grind was divided into 1kg each, seasoned and into the fridge to sit overnight.

View attachment 684546

The next morning I got up, mixed in the egg and cream for Polka's recipe, and 100g water for LEM. Stuffed into 29-32mm hog casings. Polka on the left, LEM on the right.

View attachment 684547

Dropped one of each into a small pan for a beer and onion simmer like we do with the recipe we use.

View attachment 684548

About 15 minutes later they were on the grill getting some color.

View attachment 684549

Ready for hoagie rolls, mustard and onions. Again, Polka's on the left, LEM on the right.

View attachment 684550

Final tasting! Dropped two into buns, cut them in half so my wife and I could try a bit of each. Polka on the left, LEM on the right.

View attachment 684551

Final results:

Polka recipe - has a similar flavor profile to the recipe that I've been using, though it's a bit toned down, if you will. My wife didn't mind it, but prefers the recipe I've been using. I didn't mind it, but prefer the recipe I use a touch more. I don't use cream and eggs in my recipe and frankly I'm not sure if I would notice a difference over simply adding water.

LEM - Pretty simple to use. Measure it out, add it to the ground meat. Mix. Stuff. Links looked great. Unfortunately this was far too salty for my wife. She mentioned that all she could taste was salt and pepper. I didn't find it as salty as she described, but it did leave a weird tingling in my mouth. I found this to be the mildest flavor profile of the three recipes that I've used.

Three recipes down, lord only knows how many more to try...

Hey nice report!

Sounds like your original recipe is winning out.
Sounds like the LEM's needs a further lowering of the per pound measurement to reduce the salt for you and the wife. If it's milder in flavor and not seeming too great then maybe it's a "use up and forget about" experiment for a small batch if any of it is left over.

I'm curious to see what recipe you land on in the end. I'm always down for trying out a well tested recipe. As you can see it's definitely some work and a journey to find a winner :D

Reactions: nlife
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky