Knives

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a wide variety of knives, spanning a huge range in price and quality. The cheap ones are from when we had no money. The really expensive ones (high-end Henckels) were gifts.

Cook's Illustrated has a list of knives that they consider "best of breed" for each size and type. The recommend against getting any of the "complete sets" sold by most manufacturers because you end up with knives you don't need or use, and some of the knives, even from premium brands, are not necessarily the best.

Finally, that same source recommended a relatively cheap chef's knife which, on their recommendation, I bought. Wow is it good!! And, it is quite inexpensive.

Victorinox knife

Note the huge number of reviews, and the solid five-star rating. You don't often see products on Amazon with that many review that also manage to get a full five star rating.

BTW, my big Christmas gift was the Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition knife sharpener. I've been sharpening knives since I was a kid in the 1950s, and I've used almost every sharpening device you can think of from stones to wheels to specialized gadgets like the Chef's Choice (a big disappointment). The Work Sharp produces results that are better than a factory edge and, even with my old cheap knives, produces an edge that is absolutely amazing. For me, it is a real game changer, making food prep a different experience.

P.S. Here is a link to the Cook's Illustrated recommendations via their TV show site. They just recently did an update to their a la carte knife set. Here's a link:

America's Test Kitchen Knife Recommendations

Yup here we go again personal preference but you are the one using it and if it works for you and you like it what difference should that make to me. I use a diamond stone for most of my sharping works great for me. I do have some nice knives from a co. in Dover Ohio call Worthers ( not sure on spelling ) they have life time warranty and will reshape and sharpen then for you.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky