Weston to Cabelas (Bass Pro Shop) grinder parts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
I've got a Weston #8 home grinder. It came with 3 plates, but only 1 knife.
I want to add the 10 mm plate and get more knives to match to the plates.
I compared the Cabelas replacement pieces.

I did pick up a knive. The Weston is a straight blade versus the Cabelas curved blades. Don't know what straight versus curved means in grinder performance.
The Cabelas knife is thicker than the Weston blade. I don't have my digital to get an accurate number, but it is significant. The square drive does match up on the auger.
blade-1.jpg blade-2.jpg

I matched up the plates as best as possible through the packaging.
Local shop was out of stock on the 10 mm plate so I couldn't pull from the packaging to get a better match up to compare.
The diameter is good. The index notch is good. Plate thickness appears the same. Cabelas changed the packaging as both plates are the same bar code.
plate-1.jpg plate-2.jpg
Looked at the kidney plate. If I was doing a ultra coarse grind, then it would definitely replace the plastic plate that came with the grinder. Using as the stuffer plate, I don't see any difference between steel and plastic
kidney-1.jpg kidney-3.jpg

Bottom line
Plates will replace. I don't know if the knife will work without a bit of machining

I've got a Weston #8 home grinder. It came with 3 plates, but only 1 knife.
I want to add the 10 mm plate and get more knives to match to the plates.
I compared the Cabelas replacement pieces.

I did pick up a knive. The Weston is a straight blade versus the Cabelas curved blades. Don't know what straight versus curved means in grinder performance.
The Cabelas knife is thicker than the Weston blade. I don't have my digital to get an accurate number, but it is significant. The square drive does match up on the auger.
View attachment 686008View attachment 686009

I matched up the plates as best as possible through the packaging.
Local shop was out of stock on the 10 mm plate so I couldn't pull from the packaging to get a better match up to compare.
The diameter is good. The index notch is good. Plate thickness appears the same. Cabelas changed the packaging as both plates are the same bar code.
View attachment 686010View attachment 686011
Looked at the kidney plate. If I was doing a ultra coarse grind, then it would definitely replace the plastic plate that came with the grinder. Using as the stuffer plate, I don't see any difference between steel and plastic
View attachment 686012View attachment 686014

Bottom line
Plates will replace. I don't know if the knife will work without a bit of machining
All looks good, for the most part the #8 is a #8 the #12 is a #12 maker to maker, it’s pretty standardized. As far as the knives go, the thickness that matters is only at the center square. Not the blades themselves. It’s that center square thickness that helps set the fitment total length . The thickness of that square collar is all you need to compare on the knives.

Reactions: Fueling Around
... As far as the knives go, the thickness that matters is only at the center square. ...
The hub is thicker (taller?) on the Cabelas versus the Weston. I'll wait until we get north and I have tools to trim.

noted. I should have specified #12 plates won't fit the #12 LEM grinder head.
I thought I remembered that someone had a grinder hear that the Cabelas (BPS) didn't fit.
Thanks for the reply.

Long as the plates fit, the additional knives can be ordered from Weston. The plates in sizes Weston doesn't have for our grinders was my main issue. Appreciate the info, John.

I dunno. I am maybe thinking an initial run through the kidney plate followed by a second grind through the desired plate size may allow for less knifework in prepping the meat for the grinder.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky